So now you have your resume done and ready to post it to your prospective employer, you can only hope that the next call you get is from the hiring manager. But, instead of praying for the best, what could you have done better to up your chances of being accepted into the interview?

Tell you what, I'm going to reveal to you 4 things you can do to your resume right now so that you can get at least 60% - 70% chance of getting that job interview.

1. Use high quality A4 paper and laser printing - Go get yourself high quality printing paper, it doesn't really cost that much. Just think of it as an investment. After you've done that, get a laser printer or high res inkjet printer to print out your resume. If you don't have one, go borrow it from someone kind enough to lend it to you. If you do this, you'll be jumping ahead of at least 30% of your competitors.

2. Make sure your name, address, contact and email account is right on top of your resume. Put your name on one line and your contact info on 2 lines below--in a smaller font. This is just to make sure that the hiring manager knows how to contact you in case you are chosen. Double check that you have not mispelled your particulars.

3. Add a short showcase message right below your name and contact info. Something like: "HIGHLY EXPERIENCED JAVA PROGRAMMER, 10 years in Programming Language Compilation, Highly Motivated and Efficient." This will provide a hard-hitting punch that immediately sells your value to a prospective employer and compells him/her to read on.

4. The recruiter has VERY LITTLE TIME to screen your resume. Help them help you by ensuring your resume is as well-tailored to what they are looking for in their job posting as you can. They are looking to screen you in, but if you do not provide them with a resume that shows them enough relevant skills/experience/education/knowledge/qualifications/etc, they aren't going to take the time to read the rest of your resume.

That's all I have to give you today. If you think you need more help, I'm giving free resume samples on request for limited time period. Just head on to:

<url snipped>

~~ Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! ~~

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

thanks for the tips.. ^^

I would critique one thing...

Typing in all caps, i.e., HIGHLY EXPERIENCED JAVA PROGRAMMER, does two things to your resume'...

1) Typing in caps makes the paper harder to read. We remember where we are in reading by the rise and fall in characters. Typing in all caps eliminates these; I've heard of a study in which reading comprehension scores dropped dramatically when tested with caps.

2) While attempting to emphasize a key point, you are in turn de-emphasizing the rest of that section.

These are merely my opinions... ^.^
Good article though.

I would critique one thing...

Typing in all caps, i.e., HIGHLY EXPERIENCED JAVA PROGRAMMER, does two things to your resume'...

1) Typing in caps makes the paper harder to read. We remember where we are in reading by the rise and fall in characters. Typing in all caps eliminates these; I've heard of a study in which reading comprehension scores dropped dramatically when tested with caps.

2) While attempting to emphasize a key point, you are in turn de-emphasizing the rest of that section.

These are merely my opinions... ^.^
Good article though.

3) Using all caps to emphasize anything other than section headings is the same as screaming -- no one likes to be screamed at. Many managers will just toss such a resume in the shredder, never to be seen again.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.