Hi,

I have been hearing a lot from an IT student friend of mine about the increasing hatred towards programming of any kind taught at the university and efforts to look for something else in the IT field itself as a career option. Can any one who is experienced enough tell me as why this is a shocking reality? Why universities are failing to encourage students to become professional programmers? If an IT student is not interested in being a programmer what else are the options? What is the most preferred option of all in terms of what you have seen in your professional career? Thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

You can be a consultant at many levels from helping clients find off the shelf solutions up to enterprise architecture solutions.

You can go into support, supporting software or hardware or telecomms and infrastructure.

You can go into Network Administration or Desktop Support.

You can be a technical writer online or in IT periodicals.

The possibilities are endless IT is a *HUGE* area and exist in almost every industry in one form or another.

The preferred option is completely subjective and depends on YOU. Personally programming is my best experience because it suites my creative talents and a job I enjoy is more important to me personally than say earning power might be to someone else.

I seem to fall in to this category of students. I am currently in an IT program at my university and I decided to stay away from Programming also. I can relate to this because in my opinion many people try to stay away from the programming courses because it is tedious work. Taking a whole bunch of pre-requisite math courses ranging from pre clac to calc 3 doesn't help much either. But in any case as a growing IT professional I know that you cant get away from programming because even the IT major requires you to take java and database courses. It is good to know all sides to computers if you want to advance in your career

Hi,

I have been hearing a lot from an IT student friend of mine about the increasing hatred towards programming of any kind taught at the university and efforts to look for something else in the IT field itself as a career option. Can any one who is experienced enough tell me as why this is a shocking reality? Why universities are failing to encourage students to become professional programmers? If an IT student is not interested in being a programmer what else are the options? What is the most preferred option of all in terms of what you have seen in your professional career? Thanks.

Thanks guys....

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.