Hi,

I would like to hear from professionals on this forum who happen to be either technical or functional consultants for a variety of vendors who deal with CRM/ERP such as SAP, Dynamics AX (MS), Oracle, Sage etc.

1. What exactly is the difference between functional and technical consulting?

2. How did you get into this role either of them?

3. How a newcomer can break into this kind of roles and what is required of him/her in terms of skills, qulifications, knowledge, experience etc.

4. Can a person from a non-programming background become either funcational or technical consultant? What is the best path for him functional one or technical one?

Thanks a lot.

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

Hi ! Friends,
let me attempt this question.Please verify with senior. this is just an attempt from my side.

Functional Consultant is the one who has expertise in functional area.Like a Production engineer can offer in expertise in MM(Material Management) or Manufacturing Module has thorough knowledge of Production Processes one who undersatnd the business process of the client and Map the requirement to meet his requirement by tuning the software i.e Module.

Who offer the change requuest management.undertake customization.for Example making use of different table in SAP.

Technical consultant is one who actually looking at the things technical part of the software For example connectivity required to update the stock at different application.how stock can be updated by the user is it with IP addresses etc.
For example some field required to be added in the table this require ABAP Programmer in case of SAP.

Hi,

I would like to hear from professionals on this forum who happen to be either technical or functional consultants for a variety of vendors who deal with CRM/ERP such as SAP, Dynamics AX (MS), Oracle, Sage etc.

3. How a newcomer can break into this kind of roles and what is required of him/her in terms of skills, qulifications, knowledge, experience etc.

4. Can a person from a non-programming background become either funcational or technical consultant? What is the best path for him functional one or technical one?

Thanks a lot.

Not many people know that there is a third area called the Techno-Functional consultant. He/She is someone with experience in both development programming as well as functional areas.
Mikeden

Hi,

Thanks a lot.

classification of sap?difference b/w technical & functional sap consultants?

Thanks a lot my dear friend for sharing such a good information.

HI,

Technical SAP consultants are generally either programmers or systems administrators.Functional consultants bring value by combining particular business process knowledge such as financial knowledge with the know-how of configuring the aspect of SAP that pertains to that process knowledge. So for example a functional SAP FI consultant generally has a financials background and understands how to configure the FI tables in accordance with a user's business processes

SNIP

Hi,

Thanks a lot.

Hi,

I've been in the industry for approximately 25 years, currently providing various forms of IT related consulting services to the New York metro area, and have "never" heard anyone use those categorizations when hiring consultants.

I can venture an educated guess and say that "Functional Consulting" is what many companies call "Business Analysis" or "Business Architecture", which specifically have to do with things like understanding and providing solutions for processes, data, roles and responsibilities, etc. Given that description, I'd venture an educated guess and say that "Technical Consulting" represents someone who can come in and understand and provide technical solutions, such as a "Technical Analyst" or "Technology Architect".

There are roles that bridge both "functional" and "technical" areas. Such roles are often referred to as an "Enterprise Architect", who is typically focused on strategic solutions for enterprises, or "Solutions Architect", who typically focuses on narrower, more specific problems to solve. Such Architects are usually responsible for understanding and providing solutions for, both, functional and technical issues or problems.

Given that the above attempts to answer your Question #1, here are some answers for your other questions...

My career evolved, over time, into such a role. After many years of working for other people, I wanted to start my own businesses. Consulting seemed like the logical choice.

It often takes many years of practice to be good at anything you choose to do and to build up a reputation that allows customers to trust that you can assist them with their problems. It comes down to 1) Your technical skills, 2) your business skills and 3) your people skills.

Non-technical people become Business Analysts (what you call "functional consultant") all the time. However, how much you know or how good you are dictates how much companies are willing to pay you for your services. Many years of experience and established relationships and references usually help with this.

Anyhow, I hope this helps answer your questions.

My Best,

Frank

hi, if any one could clear me with some things realted to SAP
I m working in SAP technical area 1 year in basis i want to make a switch to the SAP functional area. What all i need to do to make my base and make a switch from technical to funcional side.
Please let me know how can i shape my career..

Regards

can any body know me which one is better Technical Consultant or functional Consultant

there is nothing like which one is better. Functional areas are more towards business analysis and derives from your experitise in a given area. Technical consultant are bended towarded the technical roles. Since everything does require a business knowledge, even a technical consultant has business key skills in it. There is an extensive training required for either of the two modules. It depends on your capability and PR, weather a company is willing to provide the same to you.

Let me try to explain you; Technical person is the one who is involved in coding or development of the program and he is involved in hard core programming. After the completion of the program, the functional personnel will implement and use it and he will analyse the gaps or the customization that is required or the repairs to be done, which he notifies to the technical consultant, who will again alter or customize the coding to bridge the gaps.

Does technical consultant need coding knowledg also?

I am a physiotherapist by education but I left physiotherapy two years back and started my career in Sales for a textile company in India. I have recently joined an IT company in India as a Sales executive for their IT products. Im here because I need an expert guidance for my career.
I want to ask you that, can I progress in my career in CRM Functional profiles after getting any short training or certification, Or being a person with non IT or non technical background , I should not look for any career in CRM. It would be a great help for me if you guide me for same

Hi Swapnil,
I am working in Finance area for 7 years now, I am now going to start online course ( next week ) for oracle Functional consultant. I feel that I can do it and I will love it. If your passion become your career you will not tired. I never have passion in Accouting but work 7 years so can keep paying my bills and mortage. Simple it is, you fall in love and you have it.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.