mdodge 0 Newbie Poster

Hello everyone,

I currently work as an IT Professional for a remote division of a larger corporate business. Each division has an IT staff of 1, about 100 users, and 12+ servers.

We have a company wide sharepoint system. It's broken down into sites for each division. There are 5 divisions which includes corporate office. Each division has it's own sharepoint site and under those sites it's broken down into departments..such as Human Resources, Sales..etc. My issue is I am getting push back on creating an IT site for my division. They are arguing that since all IT initiatives are corporately driven, only one IT site is needed at corporate. I'm all for centralization and it makes sense, however we have alot specific content that would be much more beneficial being in our own divisions site or at least a subsite off of corporate IT.

I wanted to get peoples thoughts on what they think about centralized IT sites vs decentralized sites. Would it be more effecient to have a localized IT site for local users/managers to benefit from or have everything in one site? To me from an organizational and navigation standpoint it seems more logical to have divisions be able to have some kind of local IT presense for their users on the site.

Thanks

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.