Get yourself as many inbound, non reciprocal links as you can - relevant ones with keyword anchor text - that will help your site a lot.

I'm a newbie and for me SEO is optimizing your site to get better traffic and click results by ranking better on search engines. Does that work?

It does and it takes time and dedication to do so. There are lots of good resources both online (lots of blogs and forums) and in print (many good books) to get you started with the basics. Definitely learn as much as you can about analytics and look for web ranking analytics tools. Again, there are many online (google offers some good ones) and there are some really good software packages available. Basically, put the time in and do your homework and you will be well on your way. Good luck!

I just read on a website offering SEO advice to newbies that one of the top 5 on-page SEO mistakes is using images instead of text. But as I learn more about SEO I know I read somewhere that you can add tags to images and that the Google spidering bots will crawl the images looking at the tags. So do images hurt or improve your SEO results?

It is a long term investment as far as SEO is concerned.

While SEO was believed to be a part of the technical design of the site, it has become a part of internet marketing and as a result a subset of of overall marketing strategy. Having started in a traditional marketing role before the explosion of the internet I got very used to the concepts of ROI and laying claim to affecting a revenue stream. SEO and SEM are also subject to justification through ROI. Bascially, Internet Marketing is a group of activities and SEO/SEM is one of those activities.

Thanks for the information. I have set a low budget for my website SEO and that amount should be not more than $200/month. Please suggest me which service I have to use? Or Can I hire an expert as per my budget?

Thanks for the information. I have set a low budget for my website SEO and that amount should be not more than $200/month. Please suggest me which service I have to use? Or Can I hire an expert as per my budget?

Be very careful when hiring an 'expert', especially one of the bigger SEO companies that offer low cost SEO services. I am not saying this about all of them but I know of one on Long Island that has a pretty decent reputation that offers a low cost SEO package for small businesses and they assign the work to their newest, least experienced people. The result for one company I know of who hired them for the 'bargain' price ended up extremely frustrated when they spent enormous amounts of time trying to get the person on the phone and then when they did he was dismissive of them as "he was the SEO expert". The results were that their rank improved somewhat but not as much as they were promised.

If you only have $200 a month to spend I'd suggest putting it towards an adwords campaign. Learning how to set up and rank high for keyword score will probably be the better way to spend a small budget. Self seo should cover enough of the groundwork to get your site rolling. When you get past that, then you may have a larger budget to try and squeeze out another 20-30% in traffic that a dedicated marketer can get you. I'm just generalizing, but the point is made.

MktgRob, using images isnt a mistake at all, not including alt txt tags is. Also, using too many large images that slow page loads is something that should be avoided.

cheers

If you only have $200 a month to spend I'd suggest putting it towards an adwords campaign. Learning how to set up and rank high for keyword score will probably be the better way to spend a small budget. Self seo should cover enough of the groundwork to get your site rolling. When you get past that, then you may have a larger budget to try and squeeze out another 20-30% in traffic that a dedicated marketer can get you. I'm just generalizing, but the point is made.

MktgRob, using images isnt a mistake at all, not including alt txt tags is. Also, using too many large images that slow page loads is something that should be avoided.

cheers

Absolutely agree on the adwords suggestion. Monitor it closely to make sure your bidding gets you the top spot without depleting your budget. Also, if you are only selling into a limited geographic area or if you think your target audience is only going to be searching at certain times during the day then you can limit where and when your ads show up to maximize your budget.

Hello Adwords,

Thanks for the advice. I can hire SEO person from indiresults.com for local search engine optimization. They will suggest me to first do local internet marketing for my website to get potential traffic in short time. But friends your suggestions are always important for me so please continue your suggestion.

Maureen

Is internet marketing and SEO is different? If yes then, what’s the primary difference between them?

SEO is one of the process of promoting website for search engines and it comes under the umbrella of Internet Marketing.

If I want to promote my site by my own then what will be my strategies?

Build links to it is the strategy. Use tools to help you like SEM Rush and IBL Builder, analyse and automate your linkbuilding.

Hello Adwords,

Thanks for the advice. I can hire SEO person from indiresults.com for local search engine optimization. They will suggest me to first do local internet marketing for my website to get potential traffic in short time. But friends your suggestions are always important for me so please continue your suggestion.

Maureen

Maureen, be weary of hiring SEOs if your budget is small and your target market is also. I am advising a company where they went to an SEO firm with a set budget and small market target. The SEO firm happily took their money and then proceeded to do a lot of the SEO functions that you can do yourself. Most SEO firms target large companies with big budgets and they put their best people on those accounts. The smaller companies end up getting the inexperience, new hires and the results are iffy at best.

Build links to it is the strategy. Use tools to help you like SEM Rush and IBL Builder, analyse and automate your linkbuilding.

Thanks for replying me. please give one more favor.

Thanks for replying me. please give one more favor. can you you share some good seo tools which provide genuine result

thanks a lot for explaining SEO

I mean to said that tool fo keywords research, for back link watch, competitiora analysis,

SEO is optimizing the website to be on top on any SE searches

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.