Hi all, I've got a certain instance in my program where an integer variable, let's call it 'x', is initialised in one part of a class, however the value is not present when the integer is called in another class.

To explain further, I've got 2 classes - 'class1' and 'class2'. The variable is declared in 'class1' as 'x'. At some point in class1, I give 'x' a value, let's say 5.

Now, when I create an object of 'class1' in 'class2', 'x' is automatically equal to 0. Why is it that after running class1, and then linking to class2, the value of 5 is not carried over onto the 'x' object in class2?

I'm sorry if it's a bit confusing, I'll try to explain differently if it's not understandable. Basically I want to know how one can update values of a variable in one class, and have those values updated in another class when you call it (obviously while initialising it during run time).

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Hi all, I've got a certain instance in my program where an integer variable, let's call it 'x', is initialised in one part of a class, however the value is not present when the integer is called in another class.

To explain further, I've got 2 classes - 'class1' and 'class2'. The variable is declared in 'class1' as 'x'. At some point in class1, I give 'x' a value, let's say 5.

Now, when I create an object of 'class1' in 'class2', 'x' is automatically equal to 0. Why is it that after running class1, and then linking to class2, the value of 5 is not carried over onto the 'x' object in class2?

I'm sorry if it's a bit confusing, I'll try to explain differently if it's not understandable. Basically I want to know how one can update values of a variable in one class, and have those values updated in another class when you call it (obviously while initialising it during run time).

Please note that I've also asked the question here: http://www.java-forums.org/new-java/32865-how-set-variables-value-one-class-while-having-value-updated-another.html#post145709

Is x an instance variable (ie not static)?
If so, every instance of Class1 has its own value for x.
You can do whatever you like with x in one instance of Class1, and this will have no effect on the value of x for any other new instance of Class1 that you create later.
What are you trying to achieve, exactly?

Is x an instance variable (ie not static)?
If so, every instance of Class1 has its own value for x.
You can do whatever you like with x in one instance of Class1, and this will have no effect on the value of x for any other new instance of Class1 that you create later.
What are you trying to achieve, exactly?

I tried changing x to static, and it worked! Thank you very much :)

It would help to know what you are actually trying to acheive here, as this is probably not the right way to do it.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.