Member Avatar for Ürgsel

I did everything this excellent thread suggested and though it showed much more ideas of solving the quick launch problem than other thread I've read (in english and in german), and though it solved the problem on many other computers, it didn't work with mine :-(

I've added 2 thumbnails of my registry, where you can see and compare my settings.

I come to believe that the problem does not lie in the Registry, but somewhere else in my user settings, maybe in the NTUSER.DAT? And if, is there any chance to open and edit it?

Can somebody with a working quick launch do me the favor and post screenshots of his/her settings in

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\Explorer

and

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\Explorer

This is for those who have the correct registry entries but still can't load the quick launch at start up. The problem may be caused by a corrupted user profile. Check out this link.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811151

I did everything this excellent thread suggested and though it showed much more ideas of solving the quick launch problem than other thread I've read (in english and in german), and though it solved the problem on many other computers, it didn't work with mine :-(

I've added 2 thumbnails of my registry, where you can see and compare my settings.

I come to believe that the problem does not lie in the Registry, but somewhere else in my user settings, maybe in the NTUSER.DAT? And if, is there any chance to open and edit it?

Can somebody with a working quick launch do me the favor and post screenshots of his/her settings in

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\Explorer

and

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\Explorer

Hi

You seem to be on the right track. The problem may be a corrupted user profile. What you need to do is create a new profile with admin rights and transfer all the files from the old profile to the new one, except for any files that start with NT. However, you cannot transfer the files if you are logged in to any of the accounts that you are transfering files to or from. So you will need to create a third admin account and do the transfer from there. For example, if profile A is corrupted, you would create a profile B. Turn on the quick launch bar normally in B. Reboot the computer and log in to profile B just to check that the quick launch works. Once that's done, go back into control panel/user accounts and create a 3rd admin account, profile C. Now make sure you are completely logged out of A and B and log into C. Then go into c drive/documents and settings. Open the folder for the corrupted user account (A). Go to tools/folder options/view and select show hidden files and folders. Select all the files EXCEPT the files that start with NT and select copy. Open folder B and paste. Some files will already be in the new B profile folder so when asked if you want to overwrite, check to make sure the size and date are the same and click yes. In most cases you can just click Yes For All. To get a better understanding look here http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811151

Member Avatar for Ürgsel

You seem to be on the right track. The problem may be a corrupted user profile. What you need to do is create a new profile with admin rights and transfer all the files from the old profile to the new one, except for any files that start with NT (...)

Good luck to me that I didn't have to create a new profile and start to transfer all files from the old profile to the new one.

Actually I could solve the problem when I found out, that RegSeeker had corrupted some rights in the registry.

I had to give myself the rights to overwrite the settings in

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current_Version\Explorer\Streams\Desktop

The rest was pretty simple. Reboot, then reactivate the quick launch bar, reboot one last time ... and there it was again, my lovely and helpful quick launch :-)

Good luck to me that I didn't have to create a new profile and start to transfer all files from the old profile to the new one.

Actually I could solve the problem when I found out, that RegSeeker had corrupted some rights in the registry.

I had to give myself the rights to overwrite the settings in

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current_Version\Explorer\Streams\Desktop

The rest was pretty simple. Reboot, then reactivate the quick launch bar, reboot one last time ... and there it was again, my lovely and helpful quick launch :-)

wow are you serious?? So that's the problem. I also use regseeker and this is not the first time that regseeker messed something up on my system. I was able to fix it with a system restore, but my quick launch bar problem didn't get fixed that way. I was also having a lot of problems installing and uninstalling programs so maybe my profile corruption was much worse. Thanks for the reply.

Member Avatar for Ürgsel

wow are you serious??

As cancer ;-)

So that's the problem. I also use regseeker and this is not the first time that regseeker messed something up on my system. I was able to fix it with a system restore, but my quick launch bar problem didn't get fixed that way. I was also having a lot of problems installing and uninstalling programs so maybe my profile corruption was much worse. Thanks for the reply.

RegSeeker may have corrupted other rights as well, so keep on searching and fix the rights problem one by one.
Well, as far as it concerns to me, I will never never never ever use RegSeeker again. I've found ERUNT to backup my registry and let NTREGOPT, the included Registry Optimizer run once. That and a regular backup of my registry will do for me.

As cancer ;-)

RegSeeker may have corrupted other rights as well, so keep on searching and fix the rights problem one by one.
Well, as far as it concerns to me, I will never never never ever use RegSeeker again. I've found ERUNT to backup my registry and let NTREGOPT, the included Registry Optimizer run once. That and a regular backup of my registry will do for me.

Too much trouble. I am going to back up all my files and then do a factory reset. It's a Dell so I can do that. Then I am upgrading to windows vista, so I have to get rid of the corrupted files before I upgrade anyway because the corrupted user profile will carry over into the vista upgrade.

quick launch disappears each reboot (XP Sp2)

Well I tried most if not every thing mentioned to date and was about to give up :(

However I found other references about user profiles and login settings that required the following string C:\Windows\System32\userinit.exe,

A quick search for userinit.exe in the reg found a number of entries of C:\Windows\System32\userinit.exe, OR %system32%\userinit.exe, BUT importantly %system32%\userinit.exe ( Note NO ",").

A quich search and replace of %system32%\userinit.exe with C:\Windows\System32\userinit.exe, and I am up and running.

As to the cause ??? I use a few reg cleaning tools but not able to identify what happened or when.

It's fixed for me.

when all else fails:
1. open regedit
2. go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Streams
3. Make sure you can see all the entries in there and get no errors.

I found that after running a registry cleaner, REGSEEKER, it removed my authority/permissions to the keys. The backups it created were useless since I did not have permission to restore them back anymore.

If you do have this problem, make sure you select the key first and right click and select permissions. Change the owner and click OK first before giving yourself permission.

I also had a problem with my desktop icons being rearranged every reboot. In fact, when I move an icon on my desktop and hit refresh (F5), the icons went back to its place.

This also was fixed by giving myself permission to all the keys in:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags

Hope this helps.

when all else fails:
1. open regedit
2. go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Streams
3. Make sure you can see all the entries in there and get no errors.

I found that after running a registry cleaner, REGSEEKER, it removed my authority/permissions to the keys. The backups it created were useless since I did not have permission to restore them back anymore.

If you do have this problem, make sure you select the key first and right click and select permissions. Change the owner and click OK first before giving yourself permission.

I also had a problem with my desktop icons being rearranged every reboot. In fact, when I move an icon on my desktop and hit refresh (F5), the icons went back to its place.

This also was fixed by giving myself permission to all the keys in:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags

Hope this helps.

THANK YOU! This was the solution i've been searching for months! QL is back and working like before. Really, thanks a million!!

the copy-folder thingy worked for me. (so far... i haven't rebooted...)

however, glad i came across this site!

After I tried many solutions from this thread I found this solution. The problem I had with the quick launch bar was indeed the side effect from a contamination with Saburex.

For me it worked after I followed the steps 4-7.

How to remove Win32.Saburex.a from your computer:
1. Restart in Safe mode (Hit F8 when Windows starts)
2. Delete the following file:
c:\windows\System32\ole16.dll
3. Open Start -> Run -> regedit.exe (and hit enter)
4. Go to:
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{00021401-0000-0000-C000-
000000000046}\InProcServer32]
5. Replace: (default)=”ole16.dll” with (default)=”shell32.dll”
and
ThreadingModel=”Both” with ThreadingModel=”Apartment”
6. Go to:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{00021401-
0000-0000-C000-000000000046}\InProcServer32]
7. Replace: (default)=”ole16.dll” with (default)=”shell32.dll”
and
ThreadingModel=”Both” with ThreadingModel=”Apartment”
8. Delete all files from all the Temp directories.
9. Run this removal tool.

Well this may not be the techie cure but it works....I tried everything else suggested by this and other forums ............ this is the only way i could fix it.....
1. Make sure your Quick launch is turned on and visable
2. Download and install xp service pack 3 (even if it is already installed it will still reinstall)
3. You can download it at microsoft update or here http://www.softwarepatch.com/windows/windows-xp-service-pack-3.html

4. Reboot!!! thats it Fixed....

After reading through these (and many other similar forums) and not finding a solution that worked for me, there appears to be a 3rd form of the problem 'Quick Launch disappears each reboot' which I was able to fix as follows:

1) Run 'Regedit'. Browse to the following registry location: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\microsoft\windows\currentverion\polices\explorer

2) Locate the Registry entry 'NoSaveSettings'and double-click to bring up the 'Edit DWORD value' diaglog

3) Change the 'Value Data' from '1' to '0' (i.e. where 0 = Explorer Settings - including Quick Launch Settings - are saved)

4) Close Regedit

5) Restart the Computer

6) Ensure that the Quick Launch Toolbar is displayed (Right-click anywhere on the toolbar to bring properties and check 'Show Quick Launch Toolbar'.

7) Restart the Computer

Note: The 2 restarts are necessary in order to actually see the changed behaviour. The first restart saves the registry change so that Explorer settings (such as Quick Launch settings) are saved during the second and all subsequent restarts.

Thank you, it worked for me. However when I first looked in that folder that file did not exist so I tried using the "find" command in the menu and type NoSaveSettings and it found it so I changed it from 1 to 0 and it worked ... What I would like to know is why these things suddenly happen? my quick lunch just disappeared one day . Thanks

Yes Corez you are the men.
I registered on daniweb specially to thank you
your solution work A+

After the first reboot it worked, but as you said to save it, I made another reboot (2 in total)

I was bored to right click on the task bar , then choose properties and then check the "Shoiw quick lauch" everytime after a reboot or in the morning when I started the PC.

Thanks a lot.

I went into the Registry as you suggested, and it was already set to userinit.exe,. Since I have problem #1 (the Quick Launch disappears every time I reboot), are there any other ideas I could try? Thanks!

I have checked the regedit and all the values were set as they show in above answers,

C:\Windows\System32\userinit.exe,
and
0 in policies already there

Still the quicklaunch check in settings for taskbar disappears every time I boot up.
Help! I have windows XP

I checked everything I could found and still have the same problem. You would think that somebody would have a solution. How about Microsoft? (kidding)

Hi,
Firstly, you have reopened a very old thread. I will give you something to try, if that fails, open a new thread and supply more information about your PC. I don't know if this was suggested in an earlier post as I am not going through 45 posts to find out.

Sometimes, some of the windows protected files can be lost or changed. To detect any problems run the program “System File Checker” (SFC). Before you run it you should purge your PC’s cache:-

Go to “START”
Click “RUN”
Type or “copy and paste”.. sfc.exe /purgecache

Note:- the space after “exe”.

The “purgecache” in this command will empty the cache before you run the file checker. You should always purge the cache before scanning with the System File Checker (SFC). That way, you can be sure that system files are copied from your Windows installation media, and are not infected with malware or corrupted. After the cache has been purged, run System File Checker.

Go to “START”
Click “RUN”
Type or “copy and paste”… sfc.exe /scannow

Note:- the space after “exe”. You may be required to use your installation disk.

This could take a long time to complete, when finished, reboot and see if the problem still exists.

Hi,
Firstly, you have reopened a very old thread. I will give you something to try, if that fails, open a new thread and supply more information about your PC. I don't know if this was suggested in an earlier post as I am not going through 45 posts to find out.

Sometimes, some of the windows protected files can be lost or changed. To detect any problems run the program “System File Checker” (SFC). Before you run it you should purge your PC’s cache:-

Go to “START”
Click “RUN”
Type or “copy and paste”.. sfc.exe /purgecache

Note:- the space after “exe”.

The “purgecache” in this command will empty the cache before you run the file checker. You should always purge the cache before scanning with the System File Checker (SFC). That way, you can be sure that system files are copied from your Windows installation media, and are not infected with malware or corrupted. After the cache has been purged, run System File Checker.

Go to “START”
Click “RUN”
Type or “copy and paste”… sfc.exe /scannow

Note:- the space after “exe”. You may be required to use your installation disk.

This could take a long time to complete, when finished, reboot and see if the problem still exists.

I added what Correz suggested manually. Rebooted and it worked great!

Member Avatar for aaafan

After trying many different solutions I finally found this which worked

Copy all the code in red below. Open Notepad and paste it in. Save the result in a suitable location as folder.reg - making sure that the default .txt extension doesn't appear in the file name (Save as type = All Files).
Double-click on the saved .reg file to merge the contents.
Restart.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{D82BE2B0-5764-11D0-A96E-00C04FD705A2}]
@="IShellFolderBand"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{D82BE2B0-5764-11D0-A96E-00C04FD705A2}\InProcServer32]
@=hex(2):25,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,52,00,6f,00,6f,00,74,00, 25,\
00,5c,00,73,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c,00,53,00,48,00, \
45,00,4c,00,4c,00,33,00,32,00,2e,00,64,00,6c,00,6c,00,00,00
"ThreadingModel"="Apartment"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explor er]
"NoSaveSettings"=dword:00000000

Solution for: Folder View Settings aren't saved (also - Quick Launch Dissapear after shutdown) :

In any folder, click "Tools" (in the Menu bar) > Folder Options > "View" tab, in "Advanced Settings" list, find and check mark "Remember each folder's view settings" (also, ensure that "Do not cache Thumbnails" is not checked). Then,set the view of any folder as you want, then go to the "View" tab in "Folder Options", and click the "Apply to all folders" button. If this wont solve your problem, then use this:

**click "Start > Run" and enter these 2 commands one by one-

REG ADD "HKEY_Current_User\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\policies\explorer" /v "NoSaveSettings" /t REG_SZ /d "0" /f

REG ADD "HKEY_Local_Machine\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\policies\explorer" /v "NoSaveSettings" /t REG_SZ /d "0" /f**

Then restart the computer.

after windows logon, ensure that the Quick Launch Toolbar is ticked via right click on taskbar>toolbar>tick quick launch.</br>
Restart the computer a second time!!! That's all.

Thanks so much to Correz and Rainna.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.