My computer simply just stops progressing when the Windows is starting up... sign is up. I have tried booting in safe mode and all the other modes nothing helps! I am baffeled? what do i do? Please could somebody help me.

Recommended Answers

All 15 Replies

More information is needed. What version of Windows? Have you added any new software, hardware, or external devices recently?

Well I ran diagnostics and i am running Windows xp media edition 2005, And it found the problem, some sectors on my hard drive went bad, i looked up the problem all i need to do is to reinstall my widows and in the near future purchase a new harddrive because the problem eventually spreads through out the whole hard drive.

For the sake of posterity, I would like to record that I chanced upon a SOLUTION to this problem. The symptoms were the same as those described by 'maximum802002'. I made an image of my hard drive (using Acronis True Image). Towards the end of this process the program reported one sector on my disk was unreadable so I told it to ignore this sector. I then wrote the image back to my hard drive and everything worked fine thereafter!!!

I had already run chkdsk on my drive with no success. But it seems that this faulty sector on the hard drive was the root cause of the problem and eliminating this sector through the disk imaging process was the cure.

the above problem happened to me too. i have advent laptop. REBBOT THE COMPUTER, THEN GO TO BIOS ( by keep pressing DEL key during the rebbot ) in BIOS i correct the key, and made the first boot CD.
THEN I PUT THE ADVENT CD. SURPRISINGLY........ THE PROBLEM SOLVED. HURRRRRRRRRRRAY.

I Mean I Correct The Date And Time.

You can check status of two service name are : Error Reporting Service and Event Log. If it is Disable you must change it to Automatic and restart your computer . ( you can open Service manager program by : Click Start>Run>services.msc )
Have fun :)
Minit - www.canthoit.info

You can check status of two service name are : Error Reporting Service and Event Log. If it is Disable you must change it to Automatic and restart your computer . ( you can open Service manager program by : Click Start>Run>services.msc )
Have fun :)
Minit - www.canthoit.info

i checked and they both are already enabled to automatic and are started this makes me think its not this causeing the problem :S

also, I just went to system restore and noticed something strange, everyday my computer has made a restore point it was with "Software distribution Service 3.0" could this explain anything?

hi,i too have the same problem.
i deleted ntbtlog file and enabled bootlog in msconfig and then did a restart. windows is not coming up back nd its displaying "windows is starting with a blue screen". went to registry,nd changed the dword value...still having the same problem,if any1 has any solution for this thing other than a recovery,do tell...thank you.

Have fun
http://hay102.com

I have an Advent laptop which had this problem. Freezing at the screen "Windows is starting up". Turned out that the BIOS battery had gone flat (one of the old rechargeable types) because it hadn't been used for about 6 months. Tried everything before I looked in the BIOS and spotted the date showing as 1999. I just corrected the date and Windows started normally.
So that's one thing to check.

Hello Guys,

I too faced the same problem, after reading manly help pages from the net.. I thought I need to reinstall my OS.. but it got solved easily.. Wat I did is

1. Log on to "SAFE MODE WITH COMMAND PROMPT"
2. Leave the "Windows is starting Up..." screen for 5 or 10 mins
3. In that a new command prompt window will pop up
4. If you know the commands to modify the services you can type there or
5. Close that cmd.exe window and press CTRL + ALT + DEL
6. You'll get Windows Task Manager.
7. Goto File--> New Task and in the dialog box type msconfig
8. Goto the Services tab and check the services which you modified earlier or do the necessary corrections. Then Apply and Ok.
9. Restart your machine the problem will not happen again.

If it doesn't work, type "chkdsk" in step 3, in the cmd.exe.(Optional)

Actually I removed 2,3 services to make machine work faster. then I put them back and it worked much fine.

Good luck
reachSDK

your system is corrupted already... all you have to do is to make a system repair... using your windows xp installer...

My old laptop, dell inspiron, running xp is stuck at start screen, i have tried restarting. I just turn on normally and it stays on 'windows is starting screen'. Please help!

Qwertasdf, have you checked the point about the BIOS battery from my post above from 2 years ago? You need to press F2 during startup to access the BIOS screens. The first screen should show the machine date. If it shows a much earlier year than now, then you can correct it and reboot. If that works, then you need to change your BIOS battery.

All fine just clicked set up to last saved point, sooo simple. Arrggghh.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.