Hi again, I did exactly as you suggested, but saddly it made no difference. I am in the exact same position as I was earlier.

I am still looking at this, and have been unable to figure anything out. Is there more information I could provide to try to help you all?

Hi,

I just purchased a Toshiba Satellite U305-S5077. I tried getting it onto the internet for the past two weeks, and i kept seeing all the same things as the people here "access: local only" and "unidentified network" I think I have tried basically all of the suggestions here.

I took it back to the store today, ready to demand my money back for a computer that doesn't work. Except in the store (a bestbuy), the computer was able to get onto the internet.

When I got home, again it didn't work. I had about two minutes where it said "access local and internet" but after that, it went back to the same old problem

Any help please? Does Microsoft have a solution yet? What should I do?

Thanks

I have this problem too....... however it seems to cycle in and out from this 'local access' mode.
I think that the ipv6 settings helped a little bit, but realistically its hard to tell, as the problem was already quite cyclic.

I am using a Asus USB wireless adaptor, with Ralink chipset, which i have the latest drivers for. Using Zyxel 660HW-61 router with latest firmware, which is now nearly a year old :(

I was though using a MSI PCI wireless card (with the PCI version of the Ralink 2500 chip, and it completely failed at connecting.... the windows network icon would constantly flash between a series of grey 'signal strength' indicator bars, and the network disconnect symbol. Tried everything, drivers, the lot, nothing worked... occasionly it would connect for like 5 minutes, then nothing again....
Swapped it over to the Asus USB Ralink 2500 dongle, and the connection works better, except for the 'local access' issue which happens in cycles.

Everything works perfectly in win XP Pro though, the PCI Ralink card too.
Would have to be the most frustrating problem i've had with a computer....... especially when i'm in the middle of downloading a file, or on MSN

For those that are trying the registry fix with the Bflag setting, look for another Bflag entry, it's something like dhcpforcebflag etc. Set that to 0 as well. It fixed my issue, at least temporarily.

I found an awesome fix that works 100% of time. I found a CD in my Case labeled "Windows XP" , I then inserted this CD into my cd-rom drive, and rebooted my vista machine, I pressed F8 to continue, and few more clicks and I was getting somewhere. It seems after installing this " Windows XP" cd, and getting a few updates, everything works flawlessly. No more "Acess: Local only", as a matter of fact I am discovering wireless networks, and get this...actually connecting to them! Who would have thought that with a wireless connection you would actually want to use it for internet instead of locally. Amazing....Hope this helps out some people. Just thought I would share my experience. :)

Been through the ringer with thisand have just joined to try help the frustrated out there
try this microsoft link!!
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928233/en-us
turned everything back on my HP DV6000 laptop and this at last worked just when i was about to give up all hope. My symptoms were would work on hard wire but not on wireless both the inbuilt and any other usb type adaptor. Really hope this helps as I know how frustrating this can all be. I think I'll turn off now and leave the damned thing for a while having finally got success.

I had this problem. After running vista with wireless networking for several months, today I switched on and Boing! no internet. Without changing any settings or configuration, I just did a system restore to 3 days ago. Vista complained that the restore encountered an error but hey presto! I've got internet again at the end of it.
Worth a try if you're having problems.....
SP1 anyone?

I purchased a new HP DV6000 and had the same problem, my brothers girlfriend was also running vista off her laptop, again with the same frustrating local access only problem. I tried all the things listed in here and none of them worked per se, however I basically figured out a way around this frustrating problem.

Firstly, I did what someone else suggested:
- Go to Adapter Properties and untick the Internet Protocol version 6 box

I then went to the properties on the IP v4 and selected the "Use the Following IP ADdress" and typed in (for my Linksys router) 192.168.1.200, 255.255.255.0, 192.168.1.1, and then the same for the preferred DNS server.

Then I clicked OK and OK again to accept those settings. Then the network status icon in the toolbar did a little trick but was still acquiring Local Access Only...however the next step is where the break through happened.

I then went back into the IP v4 properties straight away and reversed what I had typed in, and changed them back to Obtain IP Address automatically and Obtain DNS Server Address automatically. Then clicked OK and OK again to accept the changes.

Then, as if by magic, my Skype signed into the internet and the little globe symbol appeared on the network status. Why....I don't know....but its working. I think I may need to repeat that process now and again, but its better than no wireless.

Hope this helps some people.........

and Good Luck....it can be solved.

Hi all,
I just bought a Toshiba laptop, took it to work and all and even though my wireless connection at home works, i just could not get it to work once i got to work, i searched the net and all like all y'all, still nothing, i even connected to a 10/100 ethernet cable, nada! I got it to work though on the dumbest stuff ever:
I went to Network and Sharing Center, saw the option for Internet Options, i then went to Connections, LAN Settings and the Automatically Detect Settings was unchecked. After checking it i was able to get online? Could it be that Vista engineers forgot to have it checked by default? Anyway check it and see if that works for you.

techakone

Yeah that was my problem also \I have to keep checking automatically detect settings and then of course, my connection works. I just wish there was a way to keep it at that setting. Everytime I reboot, and sometimes when I'm even on line, the darn thing reverts and needs to be reset again!

Just to add a little to the mix on this.

I just developed this problem on a new Windows Vista computer that I have been using for about a month now.

This is Dell Optiplex 745 computer.
This computer does not have a wireless connection - only the wired adapter it came with.
It is on a network at the office.
It was working fine for the past month and this morning.
Suddenly this afternoon it started only connecting to the local network and not to the Internet.

A Windows XP computer on the same switch connects fine to the Internet.

At first there was a second network connection showing up in the network connections list. It was called Network and was showing as unused and unmanaged. I deleted it. Now only the original network connection is listed.

Running Network Diagnostics still gives me the response "There is more than one active network connection on this computer" and to "Unplug or disable one of the active connections to try and solve the problem" even though there is only one network adapter or Network Connection.

Yes, I have rebooted dozens of times, I have disabled the network adapter and rebooted and re-enabled it. I have removed and reinstalled it in Device Manager and that is just the beginning! It still has Local Access Only.

No changes were made to the computer before it just suddenly quit connecting to the Internet.

I guess I will start with the diagnoses again tomorrow.

An update on this issue. A system restore to a time just before the problem started had failed. I had tried removing the computer from the domain and hard coding the IP address information rather than using DHCP. All to no avail. This morning I rolled the system back to a time before recent updates a few days ago and was finally able to connect to the Internet. Now the question remains - what happens when the updates are reinstalled.

Ok, after many hours working on this issue I have come up with a solution. Here's the "easy" way out.
Solution #1
1. Download a copy of SP1 (can be found on torrent sites - i used the .exe file which is about 605Mb - there are just a few of them, search for the most recent if you must, mine is version .275)
2. Install this file on your nonworking computer - check restart automatically.
3. If you do not have an english, german, spanish, or japanese version, this will not work and you will have to change your language (can only be done in ultimate or enterprise)

Solution #2 (this is a fairly long process, and I don't have enough knowledge of programming to make this easy, but if someone does they can have fun with it)
1. If that did not work, you will need to do some changes in the registry and install some updated system files. All these changes occur within TCP/IP (go figure right) IT IS IMPORTANT THAT YOU BACK THE FOLDERS UP - EXPORT TO A SAFE SPOT
To add a dword (or w/e), edit - new - dword...
1a. In regedit go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services and scroll down and click Tcpip. Make sure your settings look like this: [IMG]http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd90/thopp_2007/1_reg_tcpip.jpg[/IMG]
1b. Now collapse the tcpip folder and click on the parameters folder. make sure the settings look like this: [IMG]http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd90/thopp_2007/2_reg_tcpip_parameters.jpg[/IMG]
1c. Now collapse the parameters folder and collapse interfaces. click on your wireless or wired adapter. (it gives a long list of numbers/letters so the ones that have more than just "default") Make sure they both look like this... im using a static ip, so just make sure all of the dword values are the same) [IMG]http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd90/thopp_2007/3_reg_tcpip_parameters_interfaces_w.jpg[/IMG]
1d. Now click on the winsock folder in the parameters subset. Make sure it looks like this: [IMG]http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd90/thopp_2007/4_reg_tcpip_parameters_winsock.jpg[/IMG]
1e. Don't remember if this one is necessary, but now collapse tcpip6, collapse parameters, and click on the winsock folder. Make sure it looks like this: [IMG]http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd90/thopp_2007/5_reg_tcpip6_parameters_winsock.jpg[/IMG]

2. Next step is to copy over the sys files that the registry uses into your system32 folder.
2a. So first download these 7 files that I have stumbled upon ;-). system files
2b. Unzip that. Then find those files in your system32 folder and copy them to a nice safe place - just in case of course.
2c. Copy and replace the files given in the zip file into your system32 folder.

3. Now, I don't believe I needed to restart, but if you feel the need you may restart. Otherwise this should do the trick! I've done this on 4 computers so far and it seems to work. I hope you have the same luck!

Oops, I spoke to soon. It is back to saying local access only.

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6000]
Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Kathy Wills>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : gungholady
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : LAN-Express AS IEEE 802.11g PCI-E Adapter

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1D-D9-0A-A9-5F
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.100(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, November 20, 2007 9:36:56 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, November 21, 2007 9:36:55 AM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 66.82.4.8
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Marvell Yukon 88E8039 PCI-E Fast Ethernet
Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1A-80-17-94-F7

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 6:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 02-00-54-55-4E-01
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:4136:e388:c04:e10:3f57:fe9b(Prefer
red)
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::c04:e10:3f57:fe9b%9(Preferred)
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 7:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.{E2BE8A7A-3EA8-48F8-98EF-4C835DD65
05D}
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::5efe:192.168.1.100%12(Preferred)
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 9:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.{C9EAF00D-0970-4370-AA7A-9A64373D0
148}

C:\Users\Kathy Wills>

Here is the config after it switched back to local access only

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6000]
Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Kathy Wills>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : gungholady

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : LAN-Express AS IEEE 802.11g PCI-E Adapter

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1D-D9-0A-A9-5F
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.100(Preferred)
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, November 20, 2007 9:36:56 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, November 21, 2007 9:36:56 AM

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Marvell Yukon 88E8039 PCI-E Fast Ethernet
Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1A-80-17-94-F7

IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:4136:e388:c04:e10:3f57:fe9b(Prefer
red)
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::c04:e10:3f57:fe9b%9(Preferred)
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.{E2BE8A7A-3EA8-48F8-98EF-4C835DD65
05D}
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::5efe:192.168.1.100%12(Preferred)

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.{C9EAF00D-0970-4370-AA7A-9A64373D0
148}

C:\Users\Kathy Wills>

i have just recently built a new computer and put vista on it
and have had no problems with the internet or anything but suddenly i go 2 turn it on and the internet won't work it just comes up with "local access only"
i feel like i've tried everything on this thread from system restor to reseting ng the wireless apaptor

please help iv'e been trying 2 fix the problem days :(

this is my ip configuration settings: - if it helps

Thanks in advance Dom

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Dominic-PC
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : home

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : home
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Belkin High-Speed Mode Wireless G USB Net
work Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-11-50-C3-AB-43
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::8145:5554:7223:f61f%23(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.3(Preferred)
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 27 November 2007 17:43:19
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 28 November 2007 17:43:18
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 469766480
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection 4:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0A-3A-5B-6F-E5

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Marvell Yukon 88E8053 PCI-E Gigabit Ether
net Controller #2
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-18-F3-B1-7E-43

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Marvell Yukon 88E8053 PCI-E Gigabit Ether
net Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-18-F3-B1-5D-76

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.{8E4DC283-76F7-4A4A-80A6-3AB724AB2
2D1}

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : home
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.home
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::5efe:192.168.1.3%26(Preferred)
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.{EAECB098-50E7-4641-A1E7-A4CAF46CD
15F}

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 10:

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 17:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.{05AF5146-81CA-46A3-A125-053533834
93B}

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 20:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.{05AF5146-81CA-46A3-A125-053533834
93B}

C:\Users\Dominic>

Blackflame, in your case, maybe try opening your web browser and going to 192.168.1.1 in the address bar in order to log onto your router.

From this point it veries from router to router, but it will probably ask you for your username and password. Those are more than likely the defaults for whatever brand of router you have. maybe admin and blank, or blank and admin, or admin and admin, or admin and password... Or if you custom set up a password when originally configuring your router, it will be that.

After logging in there should be an option to see if your router is getting an IP address from your internet provider, and there should also be options to test your connection, release and renew, etc.

On a Linksys (the only one I have memorized) username is usually blank, password of admin. and on the set up screen (the first one) the drop down box for the WAN connection should probably say DHCP (not Static of PPPoE) and then when you click on "Status" there should be an ip address there. and even if there is, you can release it so it goes to zeros and then renew it, by clicking the buttons at the bottom of the screen.

Now obviously if your ISP uses PPPoE or Static, rather than DHCP that's fine. You would just need to tell us so we could try to approach it from that angle.

Basically, your ipconfig information says your wireless adapter is getting an ip address from your router so if you have local only, the issue is probably between your router and modem/isp not between your computer and router.

If you've verified that your computer directly connected works, and you have powercycled the modem each time after you've moved from on connection to another (Some ISP's only give out one DHCP lease, so if you unplug your router and plug your computer in direct, you have to restart the modem in order to get it to assign an ip address to a device with a different mac address) and you've powercycled the router, but it still will not obtain an ip address from the modem, and your settings are correct... Then it might be a problem with the router. I would try a different one and see if that works.

I hope this helps and isn't too convoluted.

Blackflame, in your case, maybe try opening your web browser and going to 192.168.1.1 in the address bar in order to log onto your router.

From this point it veries from router to router, but it will probably ask you for your username and password. Those are more than likely the defaults for whatever brand of router you have. maybe admin and blank, or blank and admin, or admin and admin, or admin and password... Or if you custom set up a password when originally configuring your router, it will be that.

After logging in there should be an option to see if your router is getting an IP address from your internet provider, and there should also be options to test your connection, release and renew, etc.

On a Linksys (the only one I have memorized) username is usually blank, password of admin. and on the set up screen (the first one) the drop down box for the WAN connection should probably say DHCP (not Static of PPPoE) and then when you click on "Status" there should be an ip address there. and even if there is, you can release it so it goes to zeros and then renew it, by clicking the buttons at the bottom of the screen.

Now obviously if your ISP uses PPPoE or Static, rather than DHCP that's fine. You would just need to tell us so we could try to approach it from that angle.

Basically, your ipconfig information says your wireless adapter is getting an ip address from your router so if you have local only, the issue is probably between your router and modem/isp not between your computer and router.

If you've verified that your computer directly connected works, and you have powercycled the modem each time after you've moved from on connection to another (Some ISP's only give out one DHCP lease, so if you unplug your router and plug your computer in direct, you have to restart the modem in order to get it to assign an ip address to a device with a different mac address) and you've powercycled the router, but it still will not obtain an ip address from the modem, and your settings are correct... Then it might be a problem with the router. I would try a different one and see if that works.

I hope this helps and isn't too convoluted.

from your advice i've checked the routers settings and it appears to be DHCP enabled - but what i forgot 2 mention i my last post is that all the other computers in the house have xp on them and they can all access the modem and then the internet wirelessly with no problem, im not sure if its something 2 do with vista

cheers for the advice so far :)

Judging by ths thread it seems it's different strokes for different folks. After trying everything suggested with no joy, I finally fixed it by reinstalling my router. I have the router installed on an XP desktop, and I'm using a vista laptop.
Hope this helps someone else.

So here's my problem...
When I use my dial up modem to connect, vista says I have successfully connected, but I only get limited local access, evetually becoming full local access, but never internet access.
It worked in the past... one day coming out of hibernation this problem just occured... I don't remember changing anything.
There are no problems in the devicemanager, my wireless still works, and trying different ISP or phone line got the same result.
I can't think of anything else to try... any ideas?

So here's my problem...
When I use my dial up modem to connect, vista says I have successfully connected, but I only get limited local access, evetually becoming full local access, but never internet access.
It worked in the past... one day coming out of hibernation this problem just occured... I don't remember changing anything.
There are no problems in the devicemanager, my wireless still works, and trying different ISP or phone line got the same result.
I can't think of anything else to try... any ideas?

If you go back through this thread you will see that this is a common problem with vista unfortunately. Try the suggested fixes, starting with the most straightforward, progressing to the more complicated, and see what happens. It would appear there is no, one, straight answer to the problem (apart from reverting to xp which was my solution for a new machine I bought at the weekend). Sorry I don't have a magic bullet.

Solved! - at least for my Nvidia 680i system. Same symptoms as others. Vista showed local and internet as connected. Network functioning correctly but would not load websites or retrieve email. I could ping google.com, msn.com, etc. so DNS was working. Read in this thread about Nvidia's Forceware ActiveArmor mobo firewall and found it in add/remove programs. Only evidence it was installed was here. Nothing in the program list and no access thru http://127.0.0.1. Ran the uninstall and I've had no problem for 3 days now! Hope this helps someone else. Strange thing is everything would work perfectly for a few hours after reboot and then internet access would just quit. Repair, disable/enable had no effect. BTW I'm using a wired connection behind a router.

I assume you have fixed this by now, but just thought I would post, I have a similar computer and had the same problem. My problem was an actual hardware failure. HP was still under warranty and sent in for repair. Actually I have a friend who has the same computer and had the same problem. I think HP got a bad batch of wireless cards.

I've similar problems with vista. I am able to connect internet from wireless, but after a while my connection turns into Local Only and there is not any internet access any more. My ip settings are correct and even during the Local Only error. I've updated all my network drivers and tried all the things explained in the forum like static ip, adding registery DhcpConnEnableBcastFlagToggle value with or without DHCPFixTool etc. However it isn't fixed.

I have to run diagnose and repair then Reset network adapter "Wireless Network Connection" every time it gets error and it is realy annoying, especially during downloads. This is fixing the internet for a while but eventually it is getting the same error again.

When I check the internet for solution, it is clear that vista has got some kind of a problem with networking and it is not cleary identified or solved yet.

I've DHCP server set up in my modem and I've not got any kind of internet access problem from wireless with different devices even from my pocket pc.

My laptop Asus G1S with Vista ultimate and my modem is US Robotics 9106.

When I checked the event logs it has got some errors but none of them is logged at the same time of the Local Only problem. One error is "The system detected an address conflict for IP address 192.168.1.1 with the system having network hardware address 00-C0-49-63-2A-59. Network operations on this system may be disrupted as a result." may be this is because of the static ip settings and another one is "The IP address lease 192.168.1.2 for the Network Card with network address 0013E8CDE637 has been denied by the DHCP server 192.168.1.1 (The DHCP Server sent a DHCPNACK message)."

Does anybody has got any suggestion that can help? Thanks.

I want to know what Windows update provoked this issue. The IT department I work for is upgrading to Vista sometime Q1 of 2008. I have given Vista many chances in the past, but thought I would try working through my issues this time... for the sake of experience. This issue is, by far, one of the most perplexing and frustrating issues I've EVER had to troubleshoot. I've tried every solution posted to this thread. Unfortunately, none of them work. What strikes me as very odd, is DHCP was working flawlessly yesterday. Now, I cannot resolve an address from any network (including my Sprint Novatel U720, which is supposed to be Vista compatible). I started fearing that my hardware might be to blame... So like any concerned user, I downloaded Ubuntu 7.10 and threw it in. Everything works fine.

Has anyone (even Microsoft) determined the cause of this issue? I feel it should be receiving much more attention than it is. I am truly shocked that Microsoft would allow an issue like this last so long.

What was wrong with Winsock in XP? It worked fine! Why did they feel the need to destroy it?

Any fixes or solutions at all would be great. I really love the aesthetics of Vista. The OS X-like features and thought that went into most of the OS (less Networking...) are great improvements on XP, but seriously, I need mah internet.

Fixes I've Tried:

*"Windows Vista cannot obtain an IP address from certain routers or
from certain non-Microsoft DHCP servers" (Translation: Broadcast flag
handling is broken).
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928233>

*"The default gateway setting is lost when you wake a Windows
Vista-based computer from sleep" (Translation: IP stack parameters
are being tweaked when going in/out of sleep mode)
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933872>

*"Windows Vista cannot connect to any off-link addresses when the
default gateway is configured to be the same as the client IP address"
(Translation: A commonly used method of preserving IP addresses is
broken).
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929824/en-us>

*"When a DHCP server is unavailable on a Windows Vista-based computer,
Windows Vista uses an APIPA IP address much sooner than Windows XP
does under the same circumstances"
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931550/en-us>

*"You cannot use a remote access server to apply DHCP options to a
Windows Vista-based computer" (Translation: Can't reliably get DHCP
leases through a VPN).
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933340/en-us>
---I tried their additional advice; adding keys for other interfaces, like wlan and ethernet

*There are a mess of other DHCP related "issues" (bugs) in the
knowledge pile at:
<http://support.microsoft.com/search/default.aspx?query=vista+dhcp>

(Thanks to Jeff Liebermann, 09/07/07 via google groups discussion...)

*Restoring to a point before all updates (in fact, I tried every single restore point available. Vista has only been loaded for 1 day.)

*Reloading hardware drivers
*Testing network connectivity with other devices (I'm using one right now...)
*Assigning static IP address on the network - this promoted me to Full Local Access, but still no internet

*netsh int ip reset <log.txt> - rebuild TCP/IP
*netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=normal (i tried disabled and high too...)
*I've tried all registry hacks. I even tried the lovely tool developed by a thread subscriber.

The only things I haven't tried are:
*Loading XP
*Reinstalling Vista
*Teabagging the laptop (i.e., dunking it in a tub of water.)

I'm going to try reinstalling Vista. This issue is not one I've experienced in my past 2-5-day-before-reverting-to-OSX-or-XP-or-Ubuntu sessions. I have a feeling that one of the Vista Security Patches or HotFixes is responsible for this problem. *If someone knows, please provide your insight!!!!*

Thank you all; Mostly, thank you daniweb for this discussion forum. It's great!

I found the solution folks... Sadly it was very basic too.

1) Open up network and sharing center
2) The unidentified network has a "customize" link you can click.
3) Click the "Manage or delete network locations, DELETE ALL LOCATIONS, click next through the wizard like normal.
4)Right click on Command prompt under the start menu to run as administrator
5) route delete 0.0.0.0

FINALLY:
6) netsh winsock reset

7) Reboot.

Profit :D

Winsock was corrupted
http://grdead.ibloggie.com/reset-tcpip-and-winsock/

Does this work? I'm experiencing local only problem in Vista. I'm not a computer expert, so im a bit afraid to do something which may corrupt my system intirely. Is this the final solution to the problem?

I would hesitate to suggest anything could be the 'final solution' (for several reasons;)) but nothing in the above thread could actually cause any harm (unless it involves a direct change to the registry, in which case extreme caution is advised). As I said above, it would be worth your while to go through the tips one by one (from easiest to hardest according to your level of comfort) until one of them works. There is no obvious way of predicting which one will work for you I'm afraid, but one of them will!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.