Hello,
Recently i was attempting to resize my HD using partition magic(i did not backup prior [IMG]http://images.techguy.org/smilies/frown.gif[/IMG] ). During the process my computer lost power. Upon rebooting i receive the following blue screen error message:

a problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to our computer

if this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. if this screen appears again, follow these steps:
disable or uninstall any anti-virus, disk defragmentatio or backu utils. check your HD config, and check for any updated drivers run CHKDSK /F to check for HD corruption, and then restart your computer.

technical info:
*** STOP: 0x00000024 (0x00190203, 0x8a368268, 0xc0000102, 0x00000000)

After receiving the error msg i restarted and received the same error. I have valuable informaton on the HD that i can not do without. Knowing that, i still tried to reboot with the dell recovery cd and i again receive the following blue screen:

*** STOP: 0x0000007e (0xc0000005, 0xf748e08f, 0xf78da208, 0xf78d9f08)

*** pci.sys - address f748e0bf base at f7487000, datestamp 3c0bfadb

I was reading that the pci.sys error has something to do with service pack 2. If i spstream the SP2 into the recovery cd i could possibly get around such a msg. However, i would rather avoid such a procedure as i do not think it would provide a solution.

I have tried to boot with the "last known good configuraton," debug mode, all with the same results.

I performed all possible HD tests within the system settings and the included dell utilities, receiving a "pass" from each.

I removed the HD and booted the PC with only the windows cd from the ide cd/dvd drive, all yielding the same results.

Here are my comp specs:
Dell dimension 9100.
3.0 ghz
2gb ram
250gb MAXTOR 7L250S0 PORT SATA-0
WINDOWS XP MEDIA CENTER EDITION

anyhelp would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

You need to go (if possible) to the repair console (booted from Install CD and select -r option)
There you can run CHKDSK.
If that can't help, or be done, You will have to take the HD to some other machine to save the files you need.
There is possibility that the partition is damaged and can not be accessed or can be accessed but some files can not. If the partition is unaccessable, you'll need to remove, create and format the partition in order to access it. Formatting is not WIPING the disc. The data is still there, but it is second to impossible to find. Only chance there is disk utility such as Hexworkshop. I used it to recover some files from the damaged partition my self but it is a time consuming process and possible only if the files are not large and/or fragmented.

hy there PPL

I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM PLEASE LET ME KNOW how you fixed, I NEED THE IMPORTANT SYSTEM too, can not format/re-install!!

so, my great problem is the following:

There is a PC, 40 gig HDD, running XP SP2 all fine.

I had to backup the PC, so I decided to RESIZE the 40 GB only partition to 2 smaller 20-20 gig, (the XP and programs were 8 gig so this should be ok) (I wanted to GHOST the first partition to the second)

DURING resizing with Powerquest PQmagic 8 got FROZEN. after restart the PC will not boot any more, STOP error occurs.

is there a way I can fix this?

CHEERS and many thanks if someone could help me !

Martin from Hungary.

the STOP error is this:
http://www.martin555.dyndns.org/STOP_error.JPG

update to the error problem: DURING the partition RESIZE in PQ magic 8, pqmagic had a problem , I can not exactly remember " error copying " or something. so the partition resize process was not really complete.
Do I have some chance ? like FILE SCAVENGER or ONTRACK easyrecovery or GETDATABACK for NTFS only like this?
:(
thanks for everything you can help!

Looks like your PARTITION became corrupted, so any FILE recovery software won't work sence there is no valid partition to begin with.

Your only hope is to boot from istalation cd and run chkdsk to try and fix the hd.

Way I recovered my lost files when one of my partitions went dead was using the Hexworkshop in combination with Winbatch (some basic programming language). It is practically manual recovery and manual entry in the fat table, only in batch process. And I kept my "important" files in rar archive and defragmented on the end of the partition. I made batch program that searched sector by sector from the end of the partition via Hexworkshop and looking for the rar archive header, using previous archive header for orientation for the file size. Time consuming and practically useless on NTFS disks, or fragmented files.

Hello All!

thank you everyone for the help and ideas.

I had luck with the following softwares: FILE SCAVENGER recovered ALL files from the inaccessible partition, and then http://www.ptdd.com/ -s Partition Table Doctor repaired the corrupted partition and EVERYTHING IS BACK NORMAL.

cheers, M.

Hi all,

I have the exact same problem as the original poster. When I boot from the installation disk I still get that blue screen stop error. I'm not too sure how to use the above mentioned programs because I can't get to anywhere. If anybody has any information on how to help. Please please respond. Thanks!

Your Remote Technical Support Assistant

I am having the exact same issue. Please help. I even cannot open my cd drive. Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

SK

Hello,
Recently i was attempting to resize my HD using partition magic(i did not backup prior [IMG]http://images.techguy.org/smilies/frown.gif[/IMG] ). During the process my computer lost power. Upon rebooting i receive the following blue screen error message:

a problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to our computer

if this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. if this screen appears again, follow these steps:
disable or uninstall any anti-virus, disk defragmentatio or backu utils. check your HD config, and check for any updated drivers run CHKDSK /F to check for HD corruption, and then restart your computer.

technical info:
*** STOP: 0x00000024 (0x00190203, 0x8a368268, 0xc0000102, 0x00000000)

After receiving the error msg i restarted and received the same error. I have valuable informaton on the HD that i can not do without. Knowing that, i still tried to reboot with the dell recovery cd and i again receive the following blue screen:

*** STOP: 0x0000007e (0xc0000005, 0xf748e08f, 0xf78da208, 0xf78d9f08)

*** pci.sys - address f748e0bf base at f7487000, datestamp 3c0bfadb

I was reading that the pci.sys error has something to do with service pack 2. If i spstream the SP2 into the recovery cd i could possibly get around such a msg. However, i would rather avoid such a procedure as i do not think it would provide a solution.

I have tried to boot with the "last known good configuraton," debug mode, all with the same results.

I performed all possible HD tests within the system settings and the included dell utilities, receiving a "pass" from each.

I removed the HD and booted the PC with only the windows cd from the ide cd/dvd drive, all yielding the same results.

Here are my comp specs:
Dell dimension 9100.
3.0 ghz
2gb ram
250gb MAXTOR 7L250S0 PORT SATA-0
WINDOWS XP MEDIA CENTER EDITION

anyhelp would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.