I bought a computer (Windows XP Professional Laptop) at my old highschool fund raiser. Bad thing is, my old teacher said sign in as Administrator then just press"Enter" and it will be fine. Guess I should have known, It will not let me sign in as Administrator or Guest as 'Guest' is disabled and I cant even enable Guest without having Adminitsrator rights. Does ANYONE know how I may be able to find the user name and password that use to be on here? I cant even defrag the computer or remove programs to make this thing faster, and I bought it for my son. Any help AT ALL would be so appreciated, Thank You! ~Crystal

Recommended Answers

All 29 Replies

hi,try hitting f8 on boot up and login to safe mode ,see if it will let you into admin acct there ,then go to users in control panel and create a new user acct with admin rites

tried that 1 already. After I hit f8 for Bsafe mode, I right clicked on control panel and when I tried to add my sons name into the administrator, or even add another admin, It said "I was not authorized, only the administrator can make these kind of changes". But thank you, I may try it again later, never know, I may have done something wrong. Ty for responding!

Member Avatar for Moeslock

I would suggest that you contact the school and explain the situation to them, they should be able to furnish the information you need.

I right clicked on control panel

open control panel ,go to user accounts ,clck to add a new acct ,give it a name ,then make it admin acct. ,this should work if you entered a admin account when you went into safe mode

Thats the other bad thing, my dad is head of maintence at the high school. He has talked to (well..my former teacher). He said all we should have to do is press ENTER on the password under Administrator, and there are 2 computer names under the password, one with uppercase letters and 2 numbers, and 1 with the high school abbv. in uppercase. When my dad spoke with him, he said to use the one that had the number + letters (but I went ahead and tried both). HONESTLY I think I know more about computers than him, because both my dad and I have asked him at least 4-5 times what is going on, and each time is the same answer. Sign in under Administrator leave password empty and under computer type leave as the Upper Case letterrs with the 2 numbers at the end. **** I was able to create a "guest" acct and cleaned the system the best I could so it was a little faster, but the things I needs to really clean out is defraging (says I dont have the admin rights to perform this act) and also clean out over 500 million (yes that is not a typo) of old compressed files. It scans shows me everything, then stops before it cleans out the files. I am about to give up, but being a single momma and using my computer for work, I would like him to have one to help with his school work. (Today was my 1 weenend day off, and I work 7 hours on his computer, pathetic huh? :( ...but thank you for the advise, I wish it would have worked!!

when it boots to the login screen ,do nothing but hit enter ,what happens!

or click on the admin acct then hit enter ,which is what i think you are doing correct,
i'm a bit confused by what you mean by ,the 2 computer names under password

Ok, I have tried hitting enter after Administration, but underprograms, there were some cookies that said 'Admin., so I am going to try that, the 2 things under the password says : "Log on to: SFLT27, hit the down arrow and it says BRHS...I just tried under Admin and Administration just hitting ENTER still says "The system could not log you on. make sure your User name and domain are correct, then type your password again. Letters in passwords must be typed using the correct case". (which is a little different then i've been getting when I log under my sons user name. Any other ideas?? lol I am at my computer and have the laptop beside me...thank you again!

ok,what do you get when you go to safe mode, clicking on the admin acct ,does it ask for a password then also .

Yep it does. I have tried f5 & going into the command promt net user * ..enter, then the new user name and *.....then trying to log it into administrator mode even in safe mode ..still nothing. Online I can see where u can change the user name or the password, but its a little rough trying to figure out how to change both. I have 1 set up showing it can do what an admin can do, but it doesnt, it locks me out of everything the normal accts do

I found this information on Cnet, you could give it a try.

There are two different ways to reset the administrator's password that I have used successfully.

The first is with a commercial package: ERD Commander 2005 that is also available in the Microsoft Diagnostics & Recovery Toolset (a part of the Microsoft Desktop Optimization Pack that is available to companies with software assurance).

The second, and the one that may be easiest for you is the "Offline NT Password & Registry Editor" available free of charge here:

http://home.eunet.no/pnordahl/ntpasswd/

You would have to have a friend download it and burn it to a CD-ROM for you, but after that, it is quite easy to use. In fact, for the purpose you need to put it to, you can simply boot the machine with this CD and accept the defaults all the way through to clear the Administrator's password.
It will simply set the Administrator's password to no password at all. You can then re-boot the machine using the Administrator's login and simply do not enter anything on the Password line. Once you have accessed the machine as Administrator, you can go and change the Administrator's password normally, remembering that the current password at this time would be noting at all.
You may have to change a setting in the machine's BIOS to tell it to boot from the CD-ROM or in some cases, on boot up, you may have the ability to select a boot device by pressing an "F-key". If your machine has this capability, a message should flash up during the machine boot process telling you to Press F(x) on start to select a boot device.
In any event, the download from the site above will create a bootable LINUX disk that can edit the Windows Registry and change passwords (among other things).
One final note: Please be aware that if the Administrator has saved any encrypted files, they will not be available once you have changed the Administrator's password.

Hope this helps...

Thank u! That info is awsome, and I may be able to get it to work hopfully with a hard disk as my sons laptop does not have a CD Rom input on this particular model. Do u think that if I downloaded the software from MY Personal Computer, then ran it on his that it would work the same as a cd rom???? (Thanks so much for taking the time to look this stuff up, ANY info at all means the world to me)

I'm not sure if that would work , you could give it a try or you could try an external CD drive.

im still kind of baffled as to how you can be doing/running things on the laptop that you cant get to admin acct because you don't have the admin password

im still kind of baffled as to how you can be doing/running things on the laptop that you cant get to admin acct because you don't have the admin password

******************************************************I CANT do much at all, I'm always getting the "you do not have the Administrator rights to view this page, or to use this program..ie defragging to TRYING and make it go a little faster." His computer needs cleaned out so so bad, but it doesnt allow a 'GUEST' to do that. . Email and basic browsing is about all I or he can do on the laptop as it let me log into a GUEST acct. Not sure how I figured that out or what I did, but I guess at this point its better for him than nothing at least he can do SOME research.

ok, i got it now ,sorry

ok, i got it now ,sorry

No worries, I was suprised when I actually found it too. And even more suprised when I could make him a log in under Guest. (but still driving me crazy I cant get
administrators (SFLT27\Administrators) to actually work, but guess if ya cant even change the passwork in the command prompt., or safe mode f8 w/control panel, I am just about out of options :(

Hello crystal26_03,

I've Listed Three Methods :
1)
1. Place your Windows XP CD in your cd-rom and start your computer (it’s assumed here that your XP CD is bootable – as it should be - and that you have your bios set to boot from CD)
2. Keep your eye on the screen messages for booting to your cd Typically, it will be “Press any key to boot from cd”
3. Once you get in, the first screen will indicate that Setup is inspecting your system and loading files.

4. When you get to the Welcome to Setup screen, press ENTER to Setup Windows now
5. The Licensing Agreement comes next - Press F8 to accept it.
6. The next screen is the Setup screen which gives you the option to do a Repair.

It should read something like “If one of the following Windows XP installations is damaged, Setup can try to repair it”
Use the up and down arrow keys to select your XP installation (if you only have one, it should already be selected) and press R to begin the Repair process.
7. Let the Repair run. Setup will now check your disks and then start copying files which can take several minutes.
8. Shortly after the Copying Files stage, you will be required to reboot. (this will happen automatically – you will see a progress bar stating “Your computer will reboot in 15 seconds”
9. During the reboot, do not make the mistake of “pressing any key” to boot from the CD again! Setup will resume automatically with the standard billboard screens and you will notice Installing Windows is highlighted.
10. Keep your eye on the lower left hand side of the screen and when you see the Installing Devices progress bar, press SHIFT + F10. This is the security hole! A command console will now open up giving you the potential for wide access to your system.
11. At the prompt, type NUSRMGR.CPL and press Enter. You have just gained graphical access to your User Accounts in the Control Panel.
12. Now simply pick the account you need to change and remove or change your password as you prefer. If you want to log on without having to enter your new password, you can type control userpasswords2 at the prompt and choose to log on without being asked for password. After you’ve made your changes close the windows, exit the command box and continue on with the Repair (have your Product key handy).

ELSE AFTER STEP 10

Type in: “Net User Administrator *” It’ll tell you to enter a password, then again to confirm it. This will both change the password or make a new one.

13. Once the Repair is done, you will be able to log on with your new password (or without a password if you chose not to use one or if you chose not to be asked for a password). Your programs and personalized settings should remain intact.

you cannot cancel repair after making the changes and expect to logon with your new password.
Cancelling will just result in Setup resuming at bootup and your changes will be lost.

If you don't wan't to go by this way i can suggest you two bootable pass-crackers :
2) Ophcrack
3) Offine NT Password & Registry Editor

Ophcrack will Find you the password (Not fool-proof)(412 Mb to download)(But easy to use)

Offline NT password and registry editor works on all platforms of windows. It won't retrieve your password but instead will clear it through 5-10 steps...The steps may seem complicated but its worth...

I've Personally tried the 1st and the 3rd methods and they Work very well...

Sorry, just read u don't have a CD-Rom so i'd suggest you the third step from my suggestion above if you find it comfortable :)

I've Listed Three Methods:
1)
1. Place your Windows XP CD in your cd-rom and start your computer (it’s assumed here that your XP CD is bootable – as it should be - and that you have your bios set to boot from CD)
2. Keep your eye on the screen messages for booting to your cd Typically, it will be “Press any key to boot from cd”
3. Once you get in, the first screen will indicate that Setup is inspecting your system and loading files.
4. When you get to the Welcome to Setup screen, press ENTER to Setup Windows now
5. The Licensing Agreement comes next - Press F8 to accept it.
6. The next screen is the Setup screen which gives you the option to do a Repair.

It should read something like “If one of the following Windows XP installations is damaged, Setup can try to repair it”
Use the up and down arrow keys to select your XP installation (if you only have one, it should already be selected) and press R to begin the Repair process.

1. Let the Repair run. Setup will now check your disks and then start copying files which can take several minutes.
  2. Shortly after the Copying Files stage, you will be required to reboot. (this will happen automatically – you will see a progress bar stating “Your computer will reboot in 15 seconds”
  3. During the reboot, do not make the mistake of “pressing any key” to boot from the CD again! Setup will resume automatically with the standard billboard screens and you will notice Installing Windows is highlighted.
  4. Keep your eye on the lower left hand side of the screen and when you see the Installing Devices progress bar, press SHIFT + F10. This is the security hole! A command console will now open up giving you the potential for wide access to your system.
  5. At the prompt, type NUSRMGR.CPL and press Enter. You have just gained graphical access to your User Accounts in the Control Panel.
  6. Now simply pick the account you need to change and remove or change your password as you prefer. If you want to log on without having to enter your new password, you can type control userpasswords2 at the prompt and choose to log on without being asked for password. After you’ve made your changes close the windows, exit the command box and continue on with the Repair (have your Product key handy).

ELSE AFTER STEP 10

Type in: “Net User Administrator” It’ll tell you to enter a password, then again to confirm it. This will both change the password or make a new one.

1. Once the Repair is done, you will be able to log on with your new password (or without a password if you chose not to use one or if you chose not to be asked for a password). Your programs and personalized settings should remain intact.

you cannot cancel repair after making the changes and expect to logon with your new password.
Cancelling will just result in Setup resuming at bootup and your changes will be lost.

If you don't wan't to go by this way i can suggest you two bootable pass-crackers :
2) Ophcrack
3) Offine NT Password & Registry Editor

Ophcrack will Find you the password (Not fool-proof)(412 Mb to download)(But easy to use)

Offline NT password and registry editor works on all platforms of windows. It won't retrieve your password but instead will clear it through 5-10 steps...The steps may seem complicated but its worth...

I've Personally tried the 1st and the 3rd methods and they Work very well...

Thnk you for the info! I dont have the time to try it tonight so I printedit out form my desktop computer. This info u sent me looks like something differnet, so I look forward to trying it tomorrow!! Wish me luck, and ty again for the info!

Thank you ! I have printed this from my desktop as well, so I may try it tomrorrow. I pray it finially works! Thanks for the info on all of it!

Thnk you for the info! I dont have the time to try it tonight so I printedit out form my desktop computer. This info u sent me looks like something differnet, so I look forward to trying it tomorrow!! Wish me luck, and ty again for the info!

I DONT HAVE A CE ROM AND MY FLOPPY DISK DRIVE DOESNT WANT TO WORK..HOW CANI GET AROUND THIS AND TRY YOUR WAY??

I have tried & tried this one, every way possible! I have to log into the only one I user I can, so still cant do ne thingt w/Administrator. The only thing that comes up is my normal Welcome screen with my icons. I press ENTER like you said to try, but nothing. No Windows setup comes up and no Licensing Agreement :( Maybe because I have no CD rom and no floppys that work. I tried to redownload another Windows, of course it goes to the end, but at the end of the download it says something like c:windows32 is not authorized by (my username) only by the Administrator". Should I give up??? I CANT AFFORD A NEW ONE as like I said I am a single mom. Do I have ANY more choices at all, or should I give up? I cant buy new computer or new software to erase the aqdminsw password and create a new.

I have tried & tried this one, every way possible! I have to log into the only one I user I can, so still cant do ne thingt w/Administrator. The only thing that comes up is my normal Welcome screen with my icons. I press ENTER like you said to try, but nothing. No Windows setup comes up and no Licensing Agreement :( Maybe because I have no CD rom and no floppys that work. I tried to redownload another Windows, of course it goes to the end, but at the end of the download it says something like c:windows32 is not authorized by (my username) only by the Administrator". Should I give up??? I CANT AFFORD A NEW ONE as like I said I am a single mom. Do I have ANY more choices at all, or should I give up? I cant buy new computer or new software to erase the aqdminsw password and create a new.

I understand. You don't need a floppy-drive or Cd-Rom. You hopefully have USB-Drive.
If yes, follow my third instruction(download the tool - its free and small).
1)Extract the contents of the downloaded file(using WInrar or anything similar).

2)Insert a pen-drive/usb-stick(less than 2 gb) into the USB drive.

3)

To make a bootable USB drive / key:

1. Copy all files from the folder onto the USB drive.
It cannot be in a subdirectory on the drive.
You do not need delete files already on the drive.
2. Install the bootloader (you may have to be administrator)
On the USB drive, there should now be a file "syslinux.exe".
Run this from a command line, like this:(i.e. press 'Windows-key+R and type in cmd OR 'Start/All-Programs/Accessories/command prompt' )

j:\syslinux.exe -ma j:

replace j with some other letter if your USB drive is on another
drive letter than j:
On some drives, you may have to omit the -ma option if you
get an error.
If it says nothing, it probably did install the bootloader.

Please note that you may have to adjust settings in your computers BIOS
setup to boot from USB.
Also, some BIOS (often older machines) simply won't boot from USB anyway.
Unfortunately, there are extremely many different versions of BIOS,
and a lot of them are rather buggy when it comes to booting off different
media, so I am unable to help you.

4) Do process 3 from a different machine where you log on as an Administrator.

5) Now once you have made the USB-stick bootable with the software. Restart the PC and keep hitting 'del' or 'F12'(i guess) to open up the BIOS menu(Blue-Screen).

6) SOmewhere there search for 'Boot device Priority'[something which lets you select where to look for the operating system(CD-ROM/HDD/Floppy-Drive/USB-Drive)].

7) Select the first option/priority to 'USB-Drive' and then save the settings and restart.

8) Make sure the USB-Drive is in. It will boot up that software, follow the instructions. Think logically and select(don't screw up). There may be 7-12 steps(i don't remember exactly). Once your done with it, your Administrator pass will be cleared.

9) restart, get back to BIOs and set the boot device priority 1 to HDD again. Save and restart.
SHould work.

10) If you can't manage this, there are many many many other alternatives. Windows is the least secure OS, any1 can break in. Patience and Determination.

I found an External USB driver that I could use, but everytime I tried something it told me I have to be logged in as the Administrator. When I searched on my desktop for WInrar (which I DL from the junky, not wanting to work if i'm not the admin laptop, it actually found the files, so I thought I was on my way)....Then I tried as well on my dads new laptop to save his windows XP disk (it came with Vista but he bought the software to Download XP to my external USB stick, and it still wouldnt work. Though that could be a problem with my usb stick as I went as far as trying to extract Vista, and nothing against Vista, I just personally dont like it....at all. Soooo once again I am at odds. I appreciate all your time and patience, but I think its time to give up as I cant find anyway at all to find the Administrator username (which is probaby "Administrator) and password. Thank u again!

What about just connecting your HDD to another available PC and just formatting it and reinstalling a fresh copy of XP? A bit tedious but will surely give you relief. I know formatting is a loser's option, but anyways you have no important files and troubleshooting hacking the Admin password is a bit difficult specially when you are not directly interacting with the person or the system.

Well,
To me, this looks like a Domain Controlled network computer. Most computers used in medium to larger sized networks such as a school employ a "Domain" approach (all the member computers are part of a heirarchy and user security is controlled by a server - that would explain why you dont have admin rights to pretty much anything) to their networks, since it is more secure and stable than a workgroup setting (it is more like a peer group and user security is managed by each individual computer itself). But at the same time, from the conversations between you and your old teacher, the fact the NO PASSWORD is required to login to the system, points to the fact that it might not have been part of network domain. However, to be sure, if you are able to login to the system at all (which i believe you said you were) all you have to do is right click on my computer, select properties, and click on "computer name" tab. there it should say whether your computer was part of a Domain or a Workgroup:

Full Computer Name: "xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"
Workgroup: "MSHOME"

Anyways, if nothing works, as i believe GodSpe3d said, you could always reinstall a fresh copy!

Thanks,

blu_cheez!

What I think is happening is you are trying to log onto the schools domain. You do not want to do that, you want to log-in locally. You need the local administrators password to access the laptop and remove the domain log-on prompt so that it logs you on as a local user. You will get nowhere trying to log onto the schools system unless you go to the school and connect to their network. If you go down that road then the administrator of the network should know the passwords. The other option is to rebuild it as stand-alone laptop. You wiill need your XP disk and the serial number from the underside.

Hi
The same thing happened to me except I was not able to log in to the PC at all. I don't know if it's the same for you but the IT department at my school said they would reinstall XP. Since they did sell it to you, they should be able to. That would take care of all the "cleaning up" issues that you have because its a fresh install of the OS.
That's what I would do, really hope this helps.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.