ok i just got my ass chewed by my professor cause he gave us a a program to build and i used visual studio to build it .

he told me he wants his programs built in a compiler , i told him i was using visual studio , he yelled at me and said that not a complier he said it was an "IDE", then told me to get a compiler for the rest of the semester.

so here is my questions

1- is there a difference between ide and a compiler ?
2- where can i get a compiler for free ?

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

An IDE is just a visual interface for a compiler. Visual Studio C++ is an IDE and a compiler. When you select Build in the menu the IDE invokes the compiler to compile the program.

I suspect what you teacher wants you to use is a command-line only compiler such as g++. If he wants you to use a specific compiler then he should have told you which one to use. MinGW is commonly used

do they contain anything in difference ???

if i get MinGW does it need any run time libraries that i would need to get ?

cant i just use visual studio from the command line ?

is one better than the other ?

no he dint name any specific compiler just said there are plenty of free ones out there , wish he had told me that for i paid visual studio .

>>do they contain anything in difference ???
Yes -- and IDE and a compiler and not the same thing. Is a dog and a monkey the same kind of animal?

>>if i get MinGW does it need any run time libraries that i would need to get ?
The download should give you everything you need, including the libraries

>>cant i just use visual stuido from the command line ?
Do I look like your teacher? You'll have to ask him. My guess is no, from the response you posted earlier about what he said.

I'm not really following the point of this thread. I can't see what the problem is. (other than a cranky professor) At the end of the day, you have to hand in your assignment and no doubt it's the source code that's handed in. Isn't it the source code, which is your solution to a given problem, that is marked or assessed.

That source code should be able to be compiled, as is, under any compiler -- is that the point.

Maybe he cranky teacher wants a make file as well as all source files. You can't get a make file with visual studio -- VC++ 6.0 was the last compiler that created one, and then it probably couldn't be used by other compilers.

I think your professor is an idiot and a jerk.

Tell him that an IDE is an "Integrated Development Environment", meaning that it is at least a compiler and a nice text editor.

Tell him also that if he has further problems with your choice of a compiler he can

1. Tell the class explicitly which compilers (other than VisualStudio's, of course) are acceptable
  2. Take it up with the Ombudsman or Dean for Student Affairs (in which case he will also need to explain why VisualStudio's compiler is unacceptable and why your homework failed to meet the assignment's criteria.)

There is absolutely no excuse for a professor to loose his cool with a student.

>>do they contain anything in difference ???
Yes -- and IDE and a compiler and not the same thing. Is a dog and a monkey the same kind of animal?

Better analogy:
Car engine vs. vehicle itself.

The same engine (compiler) can be put into multiple cars (IDE). The car makes it easier to use the engine. IDE makes it easier to develop a program.

cant i just use visual studio from the command line ?

Yes. Check in the bin direcory for a short file name like cl.exe or mc.exe, something like that. At the command line, type in the name and a list should be displayed of all the switches available. First line of the display should tell you if it's the compiler.

I think your professor is an idiot and a jerk.

Tell him that an IDE...
Tell him also that...

Bad advice. You can't tell an idiot and a jerk anything without dire consequences. Just get a command line compiler and forget it. I use Borland 5.5
A little older but it still works great.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.