There have been several questions and requests here regarding dual-booting. While there are many explanations on the web on how to do this, I have not found any that were fully clear and complete, so I created my own, which are attached here.

If you use these, and find any problems (something not clear enough, screen didn't come up as stated, typo's, whatever), please PM or email me so I can correct it (and let me know which one you were using!).

By the way, if you only wish to install one OS, these instructions should work for you as well, just use the part for your particular OS.

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

If you have any additional tips for dual/multi-booting, please post them in this thread. If you have any questions or problems with it, please post it in a new thread in one of the other forums. Thanks :)

how to download the attachment?

how to download the attachment?

Click on the attachment, and then click Open with and select a program, such as Word, to open it with. If it's not working for you for some reason, let me know which one you want, or both, and I'll email it to you.

Thanks for the reply. I want the "dual boot 9X-XP" file. everytime when I try to view the file, it asked for my user and pass. but it just kept asking even after I logged in. I appreciate your help. please email to [email]address removed per forum rules[/email] Thanks.

well, somehow, after I reply to this forum, I can view now. my brain must not be working well then. lol. Anyway, your file is very helpful. Thanks alot.

Several people have mentioned having problems opening the attachments so I am going to post the contents here instead; first up is Win 9x & Win 2000.

How to Dual-Boot Windows 9X/Me and Windows 2000 Pro
Updated: 06/26/2004
Introduction
These instructions provide step-by-step directions for installing both Windows 98SE and Windows 2000 Pro (hereinafter referred to as Win9x & Win2K) on the same hard disk drive so that either operating system can be selected when the computer first boots-up.
While it is possible to install Win2K first then Win9x, it is much more difficult and not recommended or explained here; this describes the installation of Win9x first, then Win2K.
Note: Multi-boot configurations with Windows 95/Me and Windows NT/XP are implemented in a similar fashion.
Overview
Use a Windows 98 startup disk to fdisk and format the hard drive.
Create and format one partition (for Win9x), leaving some unpartitioned space (for Win2K).
Copy Windows 98 files onto the HDD and install Windows 98.
Use the Win2K CD to create and format a new partition in the unpartitioned space.
Install Win2K.
Install software and test system.
Step-by-Step Instructions
-- Caution --
If using a disk drive that has data on it, it is highly recommended that the data be backed-up before proceeding as everything on the drive will be deleted.
Preparation of the hard disk drive (HDD)
• Check the BIOS to make sure it is set to boot in this order: Floppy, CD/DVD, HDD (or IDE0).
• Put a Windows 98 startup floppy disk in the floppy drive and boot/reboot the computer.
• Start without CD support when asked (no need for it yet and it just takes longer, but it won’t hurt anything if it starts automatically).
• Click Yes to enable large hard disks whenever asked.
• Use fdisk to delete all existing partitions (don’t forget to check for non-DOS partitions).
• Use fdisk to create one partition, but leave enough space for Win2K to be installed on another partition which will be created later.
• Set this partition as active.
• Press Esc, usually 3 times, to get back to the a:\> prompt, and then reboot (Ctrl-Alt-Del).
• Start without CD support again when asked.
• Format the partition just created; include the “s” switch (/s) in your command, i.e. format c: /s (this switch transfers system files that allow the disk to be booted).
• Press Esc, (3 times), to get back to the a:\> prompt, then reboot (Ctrl-Alt-Del).

Install Windows 98SE (Wizard instructions NOT included)
Install Win9x before Win2K (if installed after, it will overwrite the C:\BOOT.INI file and not allow a dual-boot).
Boot (or reboot) with the Win98 startup disk. Whenever asked, start with CD support.
When you get to the command prompt, look a few lines above it for one that says something like “Drive X: = Driver MSCD001 unit 0”… X will be the CD drive letter.
• Make a directory on the C drive to copy the 9x files into using the command:
o A:\>md c:\win98se (space before “c”). Press Enter.
• Put the Win9x installation CD into the DC drive.
• Copy files from the CD into the C drive directory you created using the command:
A:\>copy x:\win98\*.* c:\win98se (where x is the drive letter for the CD drive (note the spaces before “x” and before “c”). Press Enter.
• After all files have been copied, the command prompt will return. Remove the CD, but not the floppy, and reboot (Ctrl-Alt-Del).
• Start the Win9x installation with the command:
o A:\>c:\win98se\setup.exe (no spaces). Press Enter.
Note: If the installation does not start, use the command A:\>rd c:\win98se, then go back to the “Make a Directory” section above and start over; make sure your disk is clean, not scratched, and that you are copying from the correct drive. If the installation starts, continue:
• Remove the floppy disk; follow the on-screen instructions to install Win9x.
o Have the Product Key ready to enter when requested.
o Have a watch or clock handy to set the correct time when asked.
o Allow the computer to reboot as necessary to detect and install available device drivers. When asked to specify a location for drivers, browse to the C:\Windows folder unless there is a floppy or CD.
• When Windows has finished installing, Right-click in any open area on the desktop, click on the Screen Saver tab, click on the Settings button. Set System standby, Turn off monitor, and Turn off hard disks to Never (this can be revised later). Click Apply, then OK, and OK.
Optional but Recommended – run ScanDisk (click Thorough and Automatically fix errors) to make sure HDD doesn’t have any errors (this may take awhile).
Optional – run Defragment Now to make sure OS files are contiguous (shouldn’t take too long at this point).
• Close any open windows, and then install the motherboard drivers (should be on a CD that came with your motherboard/computer, but may be on a Restore disk).
• Right-click on My Computer, click Properties, click on the Device Manager tab.
o Install/reinstall drivers for any devices that are shown to have a problem.
• Install an anti-virus program. A firewall is recommended as well.
• Use Internet Connection Wizard to setup internet access.
• Use Windows Update to download patches and security updates (click Start, and Windows Update should be at the top of the list).
• Update anti-virus program and run it.
• Run Disk Cleanup to delete any unneeded items left over from the preceding steps.
• Run Disk Defragmenter (recommended but not required).
• Install and run another program to make sure everything is working properly.
After Windows 98 has been installed and is working well, the next step is to install Windows 2000.

Install Windows 2000 Professional (Wizard instructions included)
Boot to Win9x. Close any programs that are running and disable the anti-virus program.
Insert the Win 2K CD into your CD drive. It should autostart and display the following message:
This CD contains a newer version of Windows than the one you are presently using. Would you like to upgrade to Windows 2000?
• Click Yes even though we will not actually be upgrading. The following error message may pop up:
The option to upgrade will not be available at this time because Setup was unable to load the file c:\WINDOWS\UpgDlls\w95upg.dll\WIN9XUPG\W95UPG.DLL.
The system cannot find the file specified.
Ignore this message, if it shows up, by clicking OK.
• The next message will say:
Welcome to the Windows 2000 Setup Wizard....
What do you want to do?
o Upgrade...
o Install a new copy of Windows 2000 (Clean Install)...
• Select the second choice (Install new) and click Next.
• Accept the agreement.
• Enter the product key.
• In the resulting window click the Advance Options button to generate the following screen:
Advanced Options
You can select options to customize setup
Location of Windows 2000 files
E:\I386
\WINNT
Copy all setup files from the CD to the hard drive
I want to choose the installation partition during setup
Check both boxes. Default location for the Win 2K files should be acceptable.
Click OK. A Select Special Options window will pop up. Use this to add any languages other than English, add accessibility features, or change the options from the last step. When done, click Next. Setup will then copy files to the hard disk drive and restart the computer.
When it restarts, select Windows 2000 Setup from the options.
Setup will then boot to the following screen (or something similar):
Windows 2000 Professional Setup
===========================
Welcome to Setup.
This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows 2000 to run on your computer.
• To set up Windows 2000 now, press ENTER.
• To repair a Windows 2000 installation, press R.
• To quit Setup without installing Windows 2000, press F3.
Press ENTER on the keyboard to continue.
The following list shows the existing partitions and unpartitioned space on this computer.
Use the UP and DOWN ARROW keys to select an item in the list.
• To set up Windows 2000 on the selected item, press ENTER.
• To Create a partition in the unpartitioned space, press C.
• To delete the selected partition, press D.
xxxxxx MB Disk 0 at ID 0 on bus 0 on atapi:
C: FAT 32 xxxxxx MB (xxxxx MB free)
Unpartitioned space xxxxxx MB
Scroll down to the unpartitioned space with the arrow key and press C to create a new partition in the free (unpartitioned) space.
Note: xxxxxx will vary depending on the size of your hard drive and existing partitions.
You asked Setup to create a new partition on xxxxxx MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi.
• To create the new partition, enter a size below and press ENTER.
• To go back to the previous screen without creating the partition, press ESC.
The minimum size for the new partition is 8 megabytes (MB).
The maximum size for the new partition is xxxxxx megabytes (MB).

Enter the partition size and Press ENTER on the keyboard.
Note: To create additional partitions now, enter appropriate sizes before continuing.
The new partition will be created and this screen will return with the new partition included:
The following list shows the existing partitions and unpartitioned space on this computer.
Use the UP and DOWN ARROW keys to select and item in the list.
• To setup Windows 2000 on the selected item, press ENTER.
• To Delete the selected partition, press D.
E: New (Unformatted) xxxxxx MB
Unpartitioned space 8 MB

Scroll down to E: (the new partition) with the down arrow key and press ENTER to install Win2K on this partition.
The partition you selected is not formatted. Setup will now format the partition.
Use the UP and DOWN ARROW keys to select the file system you want, and then press ENTER.
If you want to select a different partition for Windows 2000, press ESC

Format the partition using the NTFS file system.
Format the partition using the FAT file system.
The choice now needs to be made as to which file system to use. NTFS is recommended because it is more stable and uses space more efficiently. But Win 9X cannot access files on NTFS formatted partitions; Win 2K can access both format types. In order to access files on the Win2K partition from the Win9x partition, FAT needs to be selected. If Win9x will not need to access Win2K files, choose NTFS. If unsure, use FAT for now; it can be changed to NTFS later if desired, but once NTFS is used, there’s no going back to FAT.

Using the arrow keys, scroll to the appropriate file system and press ENTER (FAT was selected for this example).

Because the partition is greater than 2048 megabytes (MB), Setup will format it with the FAT32 files system.
Files stored on this partition will not be available when you are using other operating systems, such as MS-DOS or some versions of Windows.
• To continue and format the partition, press ENTER.
• To go back to the previous screen without having Setup formatting this partition, press ESC.
• To quit Setup, press F3.
Press ENTER to format the partition.
This will generate a screen showing the format progress. The following screen will examine the disk and proceed to install Win 2K.
After Windows 2000 has installed, the system will reboot to this screen:
Please select the operating system to start:
Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional
Microsoft Windows
Use ↑ and ↓ to move the highlight to your choice.
Press Enter to choose.
Seconds until highlighted choice will be started: 29
For troubleshooting and advanced startup options for Windows 2000, press F8
The first choice, Windows 2000, is highlighted and the system will boot to that automatically if another selection is not made within the time limit. The other start up option, Windows, will be Win9x.
At this point, select Win2K and press Enter.
Right-click in any open area on the desktop, click on the Screen Saver tab, click on the Settings button. Set System standby, Turn off monitor, and Turn off hard disks to Never (this can be revised later). Click Apply, then OK, and OK.
Optional – run Defragment Now to make sure OS files are contiguous (shouldn’t take too long).

Close any open windows, and then install the motherboard drivers (should be on a CD that came with your motherboard/computer, or may be on a Restore disk).
• Right-click on My Computer, click Properties, click on the Device Manager tab.
• Use Windows Update to download patches and security updates (click Start, and Windows Update should be at the top of the list).
• Run Disk Cleanup to delete any unneeded items left over from the preceding steps.
After Windows 2000 has been installed and is working properly, additional partitions can be created in any free space that was remaining on the hard disk drive.
To create and format additional partitions:
• Boot to Windows 2000.
• Right-click on My Computer.
• Click on Manage.
• On the left side (the “Tree” pane), click on Disk Management.
• Maximize the window if necessary to make viewing easier.
• Right-click in the area identified as Free Space.
• Click on Create Logical Drive…
• A wizard pops up describing what will be happening; click Next.
• Logical drive should be your only option; click Next.
• Type in the size of the partition in MB; click Next.
• Unless you know what you’re doing, it’s best to leave the default option: Assign a drive letter. Leave the default letter or change it as desired. Click Next.
• If the partition isn’t formatted it won’t be usable. So the only reasonable choice here is to format. The file system then needs to be identified, as explained earlier, either can be used.
• Type in a name for the partition.
• Quick format can be selected if time is limited, but a full format is generally preferred.
• The partition will then be formatted.
Repeat this process until all free space is being utilized.

Here's the Win 9x & Win XP version... (the attachement has better formatting and is easier to read -- you should get it that way if at all possible).

How to Dual-Boot Windows 9X/Me and XP Pro or Home
Updated: 08/20/2004
Introduction
These instructions provide step-by-step directions for installing both Windows 98SE and Windows XP Pro or Home (hereinafter referred to as Win9x & WinXP) on the same hard disk drive so that either operating system can be selected when the computer first boots-up.
While it is possible to install WinXP first then Win9x, it is much more difficult and not recommended or explained here; this describes the installation of Win9x first, then WinXP.
Note: Multiple-boot configurations with Windows 95/Me and Windows NT/2000 can be implemented in a similar fashion.
Overview
Create and format one partition (for Win9x), leaving some unpartitioned space (for WinXP).
Use the WinXP CD to install WinXP (and to create and/or format a new partition in the unpartitioned space).
-- Caution --
If using a disk drive that has data on it, it is highly recommended that the data be backed-up before proceeding as everything on the drive will be deleted.
• Check the BIOS to make sure it is set to boot in this order: Floppy, CD/DVD, HDD (or IDE0).
• Put a Windows 98 startup floppy disk in the floppy drive and boot/reboot the computer.
• Start without CD support when asked (no need for it yet and it just takes longer, but it won’t hurt anything if it starts automatically).
• Use fdisk to delete all existing partitions (don’t forget to check for non-DOS partitions).
• Use fdisk to create one partition, leaving enough space for Win2K to be installed on another partition which will be created later.
• Press Esc, usually 3 times, to get back to the a:\> prompt, and then reboot (Ctrl-Alt-Del).
• Format the partition just created; include the “s” switch (/s) in your command, i.e. format c: /s (this switch transfers system files that allow the disk to be booted).

Install Win9x before WinXP (if installed after, it will overwrite the C:\BOOT.INI file and not allow a dual-boot).
Boot (or reboot) with the Win98 startup disk. Start with CD support whenever asked.
Note: When you get to the command prompt, look a few lines above it for one that says something like
“Drive X: = Driver MSCD001 unit 0”… X will be the CD drive letter, which will be needed shortly.
• Put the Win9x CE in the CD drive and copy files from the CD onto the C drive directory created using the command: A:\>copy x:\win98\*.* c:\win98se (where x is the letter for the CD drive (note the spaces before “x” and before “c”). Press Enter.
• After all files have been copied, the command prompt will return. Remove the CD (but not the floppy) and reboot (Ctrl-Alt-Del).
• When the command prompt comes up, start the Win9x installation with the command:
Note: If the installation does not start, use the command A:\>rd c:\win98se, then go back to the “Make a Directory” section and start over; make sure your disk is clean, not scratched, and that you are copying from the correct drive.
Remove the floppy disk and follow the on-screen instructions to install Win9x.
• Have the Product Key ready to enter when requested.
• Have a watch or clock handy to set the correct time when asked.
• Allow the computer to reboot as necessary to detect and install available device drivers. When asked to specify a location for drivers, browse to the C:\Windows folder unless there is a floppy or CD.
When Windows has finished installing, Right-click in any open area on the desktop, click on the Screen Saver tab, and then the Settings button. Set System standby, Turn off monitor, and Turn off hard disks to Never (this can be revised later). Click Apply, then OK, and OK.
Optional but Recommended – run ScanDisk (click Thorough and Automatically fix errors) to make sure HDD doesn’t have any errors (this may take awhile depending on the size of your drive).
Optional – run Defragment Now to make sure OS files are contiguous (shouldn’t take too long at this point).
• Close all open windows and then install the motherboard drivers.
• Check driver status – Right-click on My Computer, click Properties, and then the Device Manager tab.
o Install or reinstall drivers for any devices that are shown to have a problem.
• Install and run an anti-virus program. A firewall is recommended as well.
• Update anti-virus program and run again.
After Windows 98 has been installed and is working well, the next step is to install Windows XP.

Install Windows XP, Pro or Home (Wizard instructions included)
Boot to Win9x. Close any programs that are running and disable the anti-virus program.
Insert the Win XP CD into the CD drive. It should autostart and the Welcome Screen will appear with the following message (different versions may be worded a bit differently, but the options are the same):
What do you want to do?
→ Install Windows XP
→ Perform additional tasks
→ Check system compatibility
First, click on Check system compatibility. Here there are three more options:
What do you want to do?
→ Check my system automatically
→ Visit the compatibility website
→ Back
When Check my system automatically is selected (recommended first step), the compatibility checker will connect to Microsoft via the Internet, and give the option to download any setup files that have been updated since the CD was released (update can be done now or at a step later on). Yes is the recommended choice, then click Next. The Windows Upgrade Advisor will then generate a report on the system compatibility. Any problems that Microsoft was able to detect will be shown here. Review the report and make sure any additional drivers or anything else necessary is available before you proceed. Click Finish on the report, and then click Back to return to the installation screen.
Perform additional tasks has options to set up a Remote Desktop Connection (RDC), set up a network, transfer files, browse the CD, and review the setup instructions and release notes. None of this is needed at this point, so it won’t be covered here.
Select Install Windows XP and the Welcome to Windows Setup screen will appear.
Below “Which type of installation do you want to perform?” is the statement “Installation Type:” and next to that a box that says “Upgrade (Recommended)” with a drop-down arrow. The larger box below describes the type of installation selected. Do not accept the Upgrade option (this will over-write the Win9x leaving only WinXP). Instead, click on the drop-down arrow and select “New Installation (Advanced)” (note: some versions may say Fresh Installation). Read the information in the large box then click Next.
• Accept the EULA agreement; click Next.
• Enter the product key; click Next.
• In the Setup Options window, select the language and region to use.
• Click the Advance Options button to Customize your Windows XP installation options.
• Leave the default folders to “copy from” (make sure CD drive letter is correct) and “copy to”. Put a checkmark in the other two boxes, Copy all installation files from this folder and I want to choose the install drive letter and partition during Setup; click OK then Next.
At the Get Updated Setup Files screen, select Yes (unless the updates were downloaded previously via the compatibility checker, in which case No can be selected); click Next and WinXP will begin Copying Installation Files then reboot itself.

When it reboots, there will be a choice between Windows XP and Windows, let it boot to Windows XP automatically (the default option). More files will be loaded, and the Welcome to Setup screen will appear with these options:
• To set up Windows XP now, press ENTER.
• To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.
• To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.
Press ENTER to continue installation. Setup will now show these options and all partitions on the hard drive (if these instructions have been followed correctly, there should be two partitions):
Use the Up and Down ARROW keys to select an item in the list.
• To set up Windows XP on the selected item, press ENTER.
• To create a partition in the unpartitioned space, press C.
C: Partition1 [FAT32]
Unpartitioned space
C: is where Windows 9x has been installed, do not install XP here and do not delete it. ARROW Down to the unpartitioned space to select it, this is where WinXP will be installed. Pressing ENTER now will install WinXP in the entire partition, to create additional partitions, press C. If no other partitions are needed, press ENTER now and skip to the next section (marked +). Otherwise, press C and continue with the next step, at this screen:
You asked Setup to create a new partition on xxxxx MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR].
• To create a new partition, enter a size below and press ENTER.
Backspace over the existing value and enter the partition size – less than the maximum available – that WinXP will be installed on (i.e. 15000, which is 15GB); press ENTER to create the new partition.
Setup will again show these options and all partitions on the hard drive (if these instructions have been followed, there should now be four partitions):
Use the Up and Down ARROW keys to select an item in the list.
• To set up Windows XP on the selected item, press ENTER.
• To create a partition in the unpartitioned space, press C.
C: Partition1 [FAT32]
E: Partition2 [New (Raw)]
Unpartitioned space
Unpartitioned space
+ ARROW Down to E: and press ENTER to continue installation.
Now a screen will come up for formatting the new partition:
The partition you selected is not formatted. Setup will now format the partition.
Use the UP and DOWN ARROW keys to select the file system you want, and then press ENTER.
If you want to select a different partition for Windows XP, press ESC.
Format the partition using the NTFS file system (Quick)
Format the partition using the FAT file system (Quick)
Format the partition using the NTFS file system
Format the partition using the FAT file system
A bit of explaining is needed here in order to make the best choice. NTFS (New Technology File System) is a more secure, reliable, more efficient file system then FAT (File Allocation System). It is the preferred (and default) option here. If this format is used, WinXP will be able to see and access the files on both the Win9x and WinXP partitions. However, when the system is booted to Win9x, the NTFS partition will be completely invisible because it cannot recognize it. Therefore, if it will be necessary to access files on the WinXP partition while using Win9x, then the FAT format should be selected, otherwise, NTFS is the better choice. If unsure, select FAT at this time, it can be changed to NTFS later, but NTFS cannot be changed to FAT. Don’t use the (Quick) option in either of the choices unless you’re in a big hurry.
ARROW Up or Down to select the correct format and press ENTER. Setup will format the partition and then continue with the installation process.
Setup will bring up the following screens for user input. After completing each section, click Next.
Region and Language Settings – Make any changes necessary.
Personalize Your Software – Asks the user to Type your full name and the name of your company or organization. For personal security reasons, a nickname of some sort is a better than using “your full name,” but that’s a personal choice. A name of some sort is required here, but the organization box can be left blank.
Computer Name and Administrator Password – These boxes are required to be filled out using any choice of name and password; however, the name cannot have any spaces or periods, and must have at least one letter.
Date and Time Settings – Set time, date, and daylight saving time option.
Network Settings – Unless there is a need to add or remove specific Networking Components, use the Typical (default) option.
Workgroup or Computer Domain – make the appropriate selection here and type in the workgroup or domain name.
Setup will then continue, finalize the WinXP installation, and reboot the computer.
Again the option will come up to start the computer with either Windows XP or Windows (which is Windows 98 in this case). Thirty seconds are given in which to make a choice before WinXP starts automatically. Boot to XP to finish setting up the computer. When the Welcome to Microsoft Windows screen comes up, click Next and follow the wizard’s instructions to complete the installation, register (optional), and activate this copy of Windows XP. Click Finish and remove the CD.
Right-click in any open area on the desktop, click Properties, click on the Screen Saver tab, and then the Power button, Set Turn off monitor, and Turn off hard disks to Never (this can be revised later). Click Apply, then OK, and OK.
Optional – run Defragment Now to make sure OS files are contiguous (shouldn’t take too long at this point). To do this, open My Computer, right-click on Local Disk (E: ), click on Properties, click on the Tools tab, click on Defragment Now, click on Defragment. When Defragment is complete, exit by clicking the X in the upper right-hand corner.
Complete the WinXP installation with these steps:
• Close all open windows and install the motherboard drivers.
• Check driver status – click Start, right-click My Computer, click properties, click on Hardware tab, click the Device Manager button.
o Install or reinstall drivers for any devices that are shown to have a problem.
• Install and run an anti-virus program.
• Enable firewall; to do this open Network Connections, right-click on the connection to be protected, click on the Advanced tab, and put a checkmark in the box under Internet Connection Firewall. Click OK and close the Network Connections window.
• Use Windows Update to download patches and security updates. To do this, click Start and Windows Update should be near the top of the menu).
• Update the anti-virus program and run it again.
• Open My Computer, right-click on the E: drive, click Properties, and run Disk Cleanup to delete any unneeded items left over from the preceding steps.
• While there, click on the Tools tab and run Disk Defragmenter (recommended but not required)
• Boot to Windows XP.
• Click on Manage.
• A wizard pops up describing what you will be doing; click next.
• Logical drive should be your only option; click next.
• Type in the size you want the partition to be (in MB); click next.
• Unless you really know what you’re doing, it’s best to leave the default option: Assign a drive letter. Leave the default letter or change it as desired. Click next.
• If the partition isn’t formatted it won’t be usable. So the only logical choice here is to format. The file system then needs to be identified, as explained earlier, either can be used.
• Quick format can be selected if time is limited, but a full format is generally preferred.
Repeat this process until all your free space is being utilized. Note: All partitions do not need to have the same file system; some can be FAT32 and some NTFS, the latter being preferred.

guys: one question, do i need to disconnect my slave drive before i dual boot windows 98 second edition and windows xp? and also, how do i put windows 98 second edition on my slave drive and keep windows xp on my master. any ideas. thanks, fmartinis

Many thanks for the excellent general intro on the subject. I wonder if you can help with my problem!

I'm currently running XP64 but it has shortcomings in a number of areas. Basically I want to move back to normal XPPro via a multiboot set up. This means installing XPPro. Are there particular actions/issues with this? I really don't want to lose the XP64 system. No problem with additional drives etc.

Many thanks.

Robert

Hi, everyone!
New to this forum. Your thread on multibooting is great! I successfully installed Windows 98, then XP. I have a question: I run a DOS based program in Windows 95 or maybe 98, but 95 seems more stable for it. I wonder on a dual boot if the DOS program running under 95/98 can be accessed while in XP. Haven't tried it yet. Just got up and running. I meant to format both drives to FAT32 but mistakenly made the the XP part NTSF.
Thanks!

Hi,

thanks for your excellent post, I don't know if you are still following it or not.

I have recently installed win2k over win98 on an old Compaq n600c laptop. The laptop has one of those stickers saying it's win2k compatible.

I used an upgrade disk, and opted for a 'clean' install. I thought this would erase the win98 installation, but no, it sets up a dual boot scenario as you describe below. However, it has not brought over any of the drivers - I have no VGA driver nor ethernet. It does not seem to be able to find these drivers on the upgrade disk either.

Is this normal? I assumed the upgrade to win2k would supply the correct drivers? I guess all I can do now is use the restore disks as supplied to see if they have any drivers I can use to get the machine connected to the net.

Any help gratefully received,

TheCamel

Several people have mentioned having problems opening the attachments so I am going to post the contents here instead; first up is Win 9x & Win 2000.

How to Dual-Boot Windows 9X/Me and Windows 2000 Pro
Updated: 06/26/2004
Introduction
These instructions provide step-by-step directions for installing both Windows 98SE and Windows 2000 Pro (hereinafter referred to as Win9x & Win2K) on the same hard disk drive so that either operating system can be selected when the computer first boots-up.
While it is possible to install Win2K first then Win9x, it is much more difficult and not recommended or explained here; this describes the installation of Win9x first, then Win2K.
Note: Multi-boot configurations with Windows 95/Me and Windows NT/XP are implemented in a similar fashion.
Overview
Create and format one partition (for Win9x), leaving some unpartitioned space (for Win2K).
Use the Win2K CD to create and format a new partition in the unpartitioned space.
Install Win2K.
-- Caution --
• Use fdisk to create one partition, but leave enough space for Win2K to be installed on another partition which will be created later.
• Press Esc, (3 times), to get back to the a:\> prompt, then reboot (Ctrl-Alt-Del).

Install Win9x before Win2K (if installed after, it will overwrite the C:\BOOT.INI file and not allow a dual-boot).
Boot (or reboot) with the Win98 startup disk. Whenever asked, start with CD support.
When you get to the command prompt, look a few lines above it for one that says something like “Drive X: = Driver MSCD001 unit 0”… X will be the CD drive letter.
• Put the Win9x installation CD into the DC drive.
• Copy files from the CD into the C drive directory you created using the command:
A:\>copy x:\win98\*.* c:\win98se (where x is the drive letter for the CD drive (note the spaces before “x” and before “c”). Press Enter.
• After all files have been copied, the command prompt will return. Remove the CD, but not the floppy, and reboot (Ctrl-Alt-Del).
• Start the Win9x installation with the command:
Note: If the installation does not start, use the command A:\>rd c:\win98se, then go back to the “Make a Directory” section above and start over; make sure your disk is clean, not scratched, and that you are copying from the correct drive. If the installation starts, continue:
• Remove the floppy disk; follow the on-screen instructions to install Win9x.
o Have the Product Key ready to enter when requested.
o Have a watch or clock handy to set the correct time when asked.
o Allow the computer to reboot as necessary to detect and install available device drivers. When asked to specify a location for drivers, browse to the C:\Windows folder unless there is a floppy or CD.
• When Windows has finished installing, Right-click in any open area on the desktop, click on the Screen Saver tab, click on the Settings button. Set System standby, Turn off monitor, and Turn off hard disks to Never (this can be revised later). Click Apply, then OK, and OK.
Optional but Recommended – run ScanDisk (click Thorough and Automatically fix errors) to make sure HDD doesn’t have any errors (this may take awhile).
• Close any open windows, and then install the motherboard drivers (should be on a CD that came with your motherboard/computer, but may be on a Restore disk).
After Windows 98 has been installed and is working well, the next step is to install Windows 2000.

Install Windows 2000 Professional (Wizard instructions included)
Insert the Win 2K CD into your CD drive. It should autostart and display the following message:
This CD contains a newer version of Windows than the one you are presently using. Would you like to upgrade to Windows 2000?
• Click Yes even though we will not actually be upgrading. The following error message may pop up:
The option to upgrade will not be available at this time because Setup was unable to load the file c:\WINDOWS\UpgDlls\w95upg.dll\WIN9XUPG\W95UPG.DLL.
The system cannot find the file specified.
Ignore this message, if it shows up, by clicking OK.
• The next message will say:
Welcome to the Windows 2000 Setup Wizard....
What do you want to do?
o Upgrade...
o Install a new copy of Windows 2000 (Clean Install)...
• Select the second choice (Install new) and click Next.
• Accept the agreement.
• Enter the product key.
• In the resulting window click the Advance Options button to generate the following screen:
Advanced Options
You can select options to customize setup
Location of Windows 2000 files
E:\I386
\WINNT
Copy all setup files from the CD to the hard drive
I want to choose the installation partition during setup
Check both boxes. Default location for the Win 2K files should be acceptable.
Click OK. A Select Special Options window will pop up. Use this to add any languages other than English, add accessibility features, or change the options from the last step. When done, click Next. Setup will then copy files to the hard disk drive and restart the computer.
When it restarts, select Windows 2000 Setup from the options.
Setup will then boot to the following screen (or something similar):
Welcome to Setup.
This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows 2000 to run on your computer.
• To set up Windows 2000 now, press ENTER.
• To repair a Windows 2000 installation, press R.
• To quit Setup without installing Windows 2000, press F3.
Press ENTER on the keyboard to continue.
Use the UP and DOWN ARROW keys to select an item in the list.
• To set up Windows 2000 on the selected item, press ENTER.
Scroll down to the unpartitioned space with the arrow key and press C to create a new partition in the free (unpartitioned) space.
Note: xxxxxx will vary depending on the size of your hard drive and existing partitions.
You asked Setup to create a new partition on xxxxxx MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi.
• To create the new partition, enter a size below and press ENTER.
The minimum size for the new partition is 8 megabytes (MB).
The maximum size for the new partition is xxxxxx megabytes (MB).

Enter the partition size and Press ENTER on the keyboard.
Note: To create additional partitions now, enter appropriate sizes before continuing.
The new partition will be created and this screen will return with the new partition included:
Use the UP and DOWN ARROW keys to select and item in the list.
• To setup Windows 2000 on the selected item, press ENTER.
• To Delete the selected partition, press D.
E: New (Unformatted) xxxxxx MB
Unpartitioned space 8 MB

Scroll down to E: (the new partition) with the down arrow key and press ENTER to install Win2K on this partition.
If you want to select a different partition for Windows 2000, press ESC

Format the partition using the NTFS file system.
Format the partition using the FAT file system.
The choice now needs to be made as to which file system to use. NTFS is recommended because it is more stable and uses space more efficiently. But Win 9X cannot access files on NTFS formatted partitions; Win 2K can access both format types. In order to access files on the Win2K partition from the Win9x partition, FAT needs to be selected. If Win9x will not need to access Win2K files, choose NTFS. If unsure, use FAT for now; it can be changed to NTFS later if desired, but once NTFS is used, there’s no going back to FAT.

Using the arrow keys, scroll to the appropriate file system and press ENTER (FAT was selected for this example).

Because the partition is greater than 2048 megabytes (MB), Setup will format it with the FAT32 files system.
Files stored on this partition will not be available when you are using other operating systems, such as MS-DOS or some versions of Windows.
• To continue and format the partition, press ENTER.
• To go back to the previous screen without having Setup formatting this partition, press ESC.
• To quit Setup, press F3.
Press ENTER to format the partition.
This will generate a screen showing the format progress. The following screen will examine the disk and proceed to install Win 2K.
After Windows 2000 has installed, the system will reboot to this screen:
Please select the operating system to start:
Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional
Microsoft Windows
Use ↑ and ↓ to move the highlight to your choice.
Press Enter to choose.
Seconds until highlighted choice will be started: 29
For troubleshooting and advanced startup options for Windows 2000, press F8
The first choice, Windows 2000, is highlighted and the system will boot to that automatically if another selection is not made within the time limit. The other start up option, Windows, will be Win9x.
At this point, select Win2K and press Enter.
Right-click in any open area on the desktop, click on the Screen Saver tab, click on the Settings button. Set System standby, Turn off monitor, and Turn off hard disks to Never (this can be revised later). Click Apply, then OK, and OK.
Optional – run Defragment Now to make sure OS files are contiguous (shouldn’t take too long).

Close any open windows, and then install the motherboard drivers (should be on a CD that came with your motherboard/computer, or may be on a Restore disk).
After Windows 2000 has been installed and is working properly, additional partitions can be created in any free space that was remaining on the hard disk drive.
• Boot to Windows 2000.
• Click on Manage.
• A wizard pops up describing what will be happening; click Next.
• Logical drive should be your only option; click Next.
• Type in the size of the partition in MB; click Next.
• Unless you know what you’re doing, it’s best to leave the default option: Assign a drive letter. Leave the default letter or change it as desired. Click Next.
• If the partition isn’t formatted it won’t be usable. So the only reasonable choice here is to format. The file system then needs to be identified, as explained earlier, either can be used.
Repeat this process until all free space is being utilized.

Excellenet instructions to perform a dual-boot. About a year ago I found similar instructions which also included steps to change the drive letters. Such as, making XP use C: and 98 use D: It had something to do with using fdisk and temporarily change the active or primary partition then changing back when XP was installed. Anyone know how to do this? I really want XP to use C: Thx, Ed

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.