I get an error as below when I try to boot my Linux server:-

/data contains a file system with errors, check forced.
Error reading block 7700497(Attempt to read block from
filesystem resulted in short read) while doing inode scan.

/data:UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck manually.
(i.e., without -a or -p options)
[FAILED]
***An error occured during the file system check.
***Dropping you to a shell; the system will reboot
***when you leave the shell.
Give root password for maintenance
(or type Control-D for normal startup):

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Hi,

Type in the root password at the prompt. You should get a shell.

/data maps to some partition on your hard drive, such as /dev/hda3 You will need to find that out. Perhaps you can "cat /etc/fstab" and see the mapping. You cannot use "df", as it is likely that /data is not mounted at this point.

When you find out your actual partition, you want to run fsck:

"fsck -a /dev/hdaX" where X is that partition. The -a says "fix errors automatically"

You might wish to run the command several times.

Let us know how it works. If you need to replace /data with a second hard drive, or move it to another place, that can be done rather easily.

Christian

Um...

You already asked this exact question before, and I posted the answer to it already. Please don't double-post. Here is the old post:

http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/thread11297.html

But, for the record, you wouldn't want to use the -a option for fsck in this instance. What this error message tells you is that whatever problem it found needs to be dealt with manually, and not by issuing the -a option when you're in the Single User mode.

Now closing this thread. Let's try and keep discussion in the older, already existing, thread.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.