Hope someone can help me out here. I am running an old PIII 400, 512 Ram, XP SP2 and it freezes right after the Welcome screen. I see the Welcome screen for approx 2 mins. and then it goes to a blue screen and just hangs there. I see the mouse and am able to move it but there is nothing but a blue screen. If I hit ctrl+alt+del I will get a pop up box saying TAK MANAGER HAS BEEN DISABLED BY YOUR ADMIN, but only after about 2 minutes. I can't boot into Safe Mode, same result (blue screen), I have tried a repair install, (same results). I have swapped out video cards and RAM, and I have also disconnected any thing unnessessary(modem, NIC, etc) and cannot get this computer to boot past the welcome screen.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks

I have even followed the instructions from Microsoft to clear the memory incase it is stuck in hybernation mode!!! NO HELP

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Sounds like Windows is trying to load up an app or service that is hanging. With that slow of a CPU and that much RAM you might have to give it a while to give up trying to start the faulty process. I would try it again in safe mode but wait 10-15 minutes.

Urk. Some malware disable Task Manager, some disable Safe Mode. Your symptom suggests that some drivers are not loading successfully [they continue to load and initialise in the background while the logon screen is up].I see that you have tried a Windows Repair [not Recovery Console] with no success, so it may be time to slave the drive, copy out the wanted files to a DVD or any other drive, delete them on the bad drive and then run chkdsk /p [and chkdsk /r if required] on it. Format the partition and reinstall.
If you have space on the drive you could create a new partition and install into that. Then copy out files and run chkdsk on the old OS's partition.
Just for such a thing I usually leave five or ten GB unallocated on a drive. But I don't do movie stuff with my sys so I have space to burn.

Well when all else failed I had to back up all the data by putting the HD as a slave in my other pc. After that a complete format and re-install did the trick and the pc is back to normal. Never did find the root cause but I suspect it was a virus since my anti-virus went crazy after I slaved the HD into my other pc. Thanks for all the suggestions !!!

Good-oh. I didn't see any other way of recovering from that one. A Repair will not remove any malware that is active, so you just get back into the same leaky boat. A format and fresh installation loses their files.
Get a decent AV... Avast is pretty good [I switched from AVG because I did not like the slowness of the new AVG8, plus when I modified its check mode settings it changed its tray icon to a fault icon, so I could not tell if it was reporting my changes or some new problem without opening up the interface. Silly of em.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.