Hello,
I'm trying to make a spry menu bar for a website. It looks great in DW CS3, and when I preview it in different browsers, it works. However, once uploaded, when I look on the web, it's displaying in outline form rather than a menu. Why is that and how could it be fixed?

The website is here: http://www.humboldt.edu/~krl23/index.html

Thanks!

Kami

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

You are referencing your PC's C drive for the javascript and css sources:

<script src="[B]file:///C[/B]|/Documents and Settings/Armand/My Documents/Kami's Webpage/SpryAssets/SpryMenuBar.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
<link href="[B]file:///C[/B]|/Documents and Settings/Armand/My Documents/Kami's Webpage/SpryAssets/SpryMenuBarHorizontal.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
<link href="[B]file:///C[/B]|/Documents and Settings/Armand/My Documents/Kami's Webpage/SpryAssets/SpryMenuBarVertical.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />

This will work fine when previewing locally, but once on the web server it will not.
If you haven't already done so, upload SpryMenuBar.js, MenuBarHorizontal.css, SpryMenuBarVertical.css. Then change the source for the page to the appropriate directory.

Thanks! I think I understand (I'm new at this)-- the problem is that once on the server, it doesn't know where to find those files because it can't see my C drive. To change the directory, do I just use the source code and delete everything between ////C and /SpryAssets? I can see the Spry Asset folder on the server, and can see the files you mention in there.

Thanks for your help!

You are referencing your PC's C drive for the javascript and css sources:

<script src="[B]file:///C[/B]|/Documents and Settings/Armand/My Documents/Kami's Webpage/SpryAssets/SpryMenuBar.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
<link href="[B]file:///C[/B]|/Documents and Settings/Armand/My Documents/Kami's Webpage/SpryAssets/SpryMenuBarHorizontal.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
<link href="[B]file:///C[/B]|/Documents and Settings/Armand/My Documents/Kami's Webpage/SpryAssets/SpryMenuBarVertical.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />

This will work fine when previewing locally, but once on the web server it will not.
If you haven't already done so, upload SpryMenuBar.js, MenuBarHorizontal.css, SpryMenuBarVertical.css. Then change the source for the page to the appropriate directory.

Yes, you have to point the browser to where the file is located on the server. If you're SpryAssets folder is in the same directory as the file then you can use:

<script src="SpryAssets/SpryMenuBar.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
<link href="SpryAssets/SpryMenuBarHorizontal.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
<link href="SpryAssets/SpryMenuBarVertical.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />

Hi I am a student for becoming a web and graphic designer… I am having a little trouble on this website that I am working on right now. When I open the website up in dream weaver it works and then when I open it up in the preview it in the browser it also works, but when I place it on the server it doesn’t seem to want to work in Internet explore. But it works in Firefox. Also I have no idea why my drop down box wont work for the Treatments link? This is my first time with sub navigation bars so if you could help me out that would be great! Thanks
Kendra

I am having the same trouble, only difference is that the menu is showing as an outline when previewing in both Firefox & IE from DreamWeaver.

I'm not sure what to do.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.