Has anyone tried Google Chrome yet? It's Google's web browser they released today for the first time as a public beta. Still quite buggy but it's looking pretty nice. If you try it lets hear what you think.

Recommended Answers

All 39 Replies

It looks pretty nice but there is no way in h**l I will let Google put something else on my pc. Just like I hate having M$ know too much about me and my machine. I think that having a 3 or 4 way race for browser control can only help us, the users, get better products.

Has anyone tried Google Chrome yet? It's Google's web browser they released today for the first time as a public beta. Still quite buggy but it's looking pretty nice. If you try it lets hear what you think.

It's free, how can it be buggy? Buggy software is only written by folks who want to make money on the many upgrades! :)

It's free, how can it be buggy? Buggy software is only written by folks who want to make money on the many upgrades! :)

In my opinion its usually the free stuff thats buggy. As for Goolge's GC (Google Chrome)Ill let Ill leave it for the regulars who always like to try out new things and cry out loud about its performance and compatibility :)

cheers

does anybody know what the security capabilities of GC are, as compared with firefox.

actually, maybe ill try it on VM and see what it has to offer.

I'm using it now, its good. Only a few things I have noticed:
- Doesn't allow you to scroll by clicking the mouse wheel
- Full screen flash applications run with a slightly slower FPS

I installed it last night and it seems to work very well with Vista. I am puzzled though, how come IE7 won't work this well with vista? I like it and think its a big step forward.

Kevin

I won't touch anything created by Google. It's all spyware.
Anyway, the first 2 security leaks have already been identified in it. Rather quick, only a few hours after release...

commented: [quote]I won't touch anything created by Google. It's all spyware.[/quote]I agree!! +8

Anyway, the first 2 security leaks have already been identified in it. Rather quick, only a few hours after release...

So thats it! no comments on what they are or even a link. Just an opinion and a vague statement.

I like it . Does anyone know whether it supports add-ons . I was rather lost without my ad-block plus/no-script/flashbock addons . Returning to firefox till it gets decent add-ons .

I loved google chrome!
I wish Google release the Linux compatible version as soon as possible!

There are new cool things for developers.

No Linux version, not that I'd install it. I'm with Jwenting on this one.

Look out, Google is overtaking the Internet!

It's ok right now. Baby blue kind of makes me cringe. The browser looks rather...childish to me.

Anyways, it's open source. YAY.

It's doesn't have adblock (yet), so I'm not installing it. Which is a shame, because now I have to miss this

ps. what JWenting was talking about

ps.ps. to try/see the bug yourself, go here

Thank you for the info niek_e. i was wondering if that was true.

I agree!!

Astute Reg readers have pointed out a Chrome condition of service that effectively lets Google use any of your copyrighted material posted to the web via Chrome without paying you a cent.

Why would anyone wanna use this POS when this is a condition of service??

Source: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/09/03/google_chrome_eula_sucks

Its just a ploy by google to get info from people so they can be plastered with ads,etc.... (They are almost as bad as microsoft)

A Google program won't ever be able to block Google ads, which are most of the ads on the 'net, so an adblocker in it won't be functional.

I wonder, does it even allow you to access competing services like Yahoo and Hotmail, or does Google fake DNS errors?

Most Google ads from searches at least show up where you know they are ads. It is true that, like M$, their business model is ad-based and I can't imagine either allowing the blocking of in-page ads like FF does.

I loved google chrome!
I wish Google release the Linux compatible version as soon as possible!

There are new cool things for developers.

I bet this guy works for google marketing

commented: lol +5

A lot of people like parts of and/or love it. Just because he does doesn't make him an employee there.

They sneak up on you:
"oh that's cool"
and
"oooh let's try that".
"Google's doing this!" and "Google's doing that!" and pretend like they are not after the entire F'N market, and then one day they are the internet gods and thou shalt not pass without Google having a hand in everything that you do online.

PLEASE, don't buy into it, they own enough of the internet, just stop. FF is an excellent open source browser if you want one.

They sneak up on you:
"oh that's cool"
and
"oooh let's try that".
"Google's doing this!" and "Google's doing that!" and pretend like they are not after the entire F'N market, and then one day they are the internet gods and thou shalt not pass without Google having a hand in everything that you do online.

PLEASE, don't buy into it, they own enough of the internet, just stop. FF is an excellent open source browser if you want one.

Just a little paranoia eh ;)

I do agree to a point. One of the best thing about chrome is that it might spur some more competition with FF, which is good for us.

I tried Chrome yesterday and it looks pretty cool. I used it for 15 minutes or so and switched back to FF. will try it later again though. By the looks of it I like it so far
:)

Im still using firefox as ive noticed 2-3 bugs, and you cant scroll by clicking the mouse wheel like FF can. But if they add this functionality to Chrome, I may consider switching. But what I do like is the tabbing (you can draw a tab out to make a seperate window) and incognito mode.

Im still using firefox as ive noticed 2-3 bugs, and you cant scroll by clicking the mouse wheel like FF can. But if they add this functionality to Chrome, I may consider switching. But what I do like is the tabbing (you can draw a tab out to make a seperate window) and incognito mode.

Actually, the way they have it set up is that each tab is like a separate process so if one tab freezes, the rest of the browser continues to work. It's a good idea, not quite enough to convince me, but a good idea none the less.

Actually, the way they have it set up is that each tab is like a separate process so if one tab freezes, the rest of the browser continues to work. It's a good idea, not quite enough to convince me, but a good idea none the less.

Thats something great

I tried it and liked it. I thought it was nice to just have a web browser that was so simple for once.

As much as it is good i just cant see why google needed to enter the web browser wars!

Here's the list with bugs in Chrome. Happy surfin' :)

But: Chrome has a lot of potential when they get everything fixed and it comes out of beta

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.