Hi!

How can I resize on a windows 2003 server a partition ?

Regards,

gicio

Recommended Answers

All 58 Replies

You can't.

feigned thx for the best answer that I ever see.

regards,

gicio

feigned thx for the best answer that I ever see.

regards,

gicio

You can resize other partitions, just not the boot partition which is the one that the Windows system files are located on.

To resize it, use the disk configuration tool after starting up with the 2003 disk. You'll have to reinstall when you do this.

Yes you can, cause i did it.. Use Acronis Partition Expert, it resizes without a reboot, but you must specifiy a drive letter(s) for your new partition. ENJOY:cool:

Hi!

Regards,

gicio

Yes you can, cause i did it.. Use Acronis Partition Expert, it resizes without a reboot, but you must specifiy a drive letter(s) for your new partition. ENJOY:cool:

Supported operating systems:

Windows 95 / 98 / Me / NT (including Server) / 2000 (including Server and Advanced Server) / XP / 2003 Server.

After installation Acronis PartitionExpert 2003 lets you create a bootable diskette or CD to create or restore disk image on a computer with any operating system.

Partition Magic will do the trick. Otherwise use Norton Ghost to copy the partition onto another HD, and reinstall. This time be sure to us plenty of space. Another option might be to create an extended partition if you have some unused gigs on your HD.

i dont suggest reszing NTFS ever because windows doesnt like it in the long run

really? I used partition magic on my home machine to create a 98SE FAT32/ 2K Pro NTFS dual boot system with no problems at all. - had to resize the NTFS partition several times before I got it right and the machine has been beautifully stable for about 18 months in this configuration. What should I look out for?

if you ever need to repair it windows will probally think its a "bad" table and not wnat to do anything with it :P

Partiton Magic would resize your partition, but not with Windows Server 2003 installed. It checks the OS installed on the drive (even if you boot up on the disk) and if you are running a server os, it won't let you run it. Instead, they want you to run their server partition tool, called 'Server Magic'.

Partiton Magic would resize your partition, but not with Windows Server 2003 installed. It checks the OS installed on the drive (even if you boot up on the disk) and if you are running a server os, it won't let you run it. Instead, they want you to run their server partition tool, called 'Server Magic'.

Good information. I didn't know that because I don't use things like that.

If I would ever need to resize a boot partition sitting on a server array, I wouldn't be using any third-party tool such as that. Maybe it's just me (and it probably is) but I wouldn't trust that sort of procedure to a program to do. I'd rather destroy what was created and start over cleanly.

If I would ever need to resize a boot partition sitting on a server array, I wouldn't be using any third-party tool such as that. Maybe it's just me (and it probably is) but I wouldn't trust that sort of procedure to a program to do. I'd rather destroy what was created and start over cleanly.

I agree, I'd rather backup everything that needs backing up and start over a new clean installation.

I used Acronis Myself to resize a Win 2003 Partition, And as Tekmaven mentioned partition Magic will not install on a Win 2003 machine( I tried It). Just my 2 Cent.

Hi!

Regards,

gicio

Use a partitioning tool like powerquest server magic,

Moderator edit: Instructions for obtaining software illegally are not permitted here at DaniWeb
- Catweazle

Use a partitioning tool like powerquest server magic.

Moderator edit: Instructions for obtaining software illegally are not permitted here at DaniWeb
- Catweazle

Sorry about the earlier post. Disregard the comment I made earlier. But make sure you backup your data before using any partitioning tool.

I have used partition magic for years with XP/2000/98/NT4 without any problems.

I have used partition magic for years with XP/2000/98/NT4 without any problems.

It said Windows 2003

I've called Symantec / Powerquest about this, they currently do not offer a product that re-partitions a drive in Windows 2k3 (2003). For a product being almost 2 years old, sounds to me like they are digging themselves a hole, or the support is to high for this type of product.\

Symantec (Peter Norton) :twisted:

yea acronis is good but the problem i'm facing is that when i install partition expert 2003 on my domain controller (win2003) there's an error about not able to run the software...i suspect its the policy, but i dun think by default it will have a policy on such issue...any comments?

in sep 05, still not possible. Read:
Symantec VolumeManager™
Reliable disk storage management for Windows NT and 2000 servers

No support for 2003 dynamic volumes and resizing yet :/ Probably won't come either : )

You might install some software products on windows 2003, but when it comes to it, you'll get f*'d... : / Not even with dynamic volumes, but even with simple old-school partitions. Reason is that the registry settings change from OS to OS... I had my own research a while ago, and still nothing seems to have changed to date. Guess this will be the last browsing session with THIS installed OS... Never install windows x64 & w32 on same partition - microsoft warns against it, and actually they are right - the w32 program files folder will get messed up and you will loose software due to this... Back to Resizing on w2k3; it really can't. you might be lucky when everything is just "basic" partitioning, but everything beyond that - you are stuck. Acronis fails too (see http://www.acronis.com/enterprise/products/). Linux/BSD? Nope!

Also see an old post of mine...
http://groups.google.nl/group/altoswindows-2k3/browse_frm/thread/c992dac5c2ed1b52/a828caff142ccfc8?hl=nl#a828caff142ccfc8

If you disagree, come with proofs and Help me out :)

Greetz and fun, just posted here for high google ranking at date of this thread on this subject ...

Conare nullius momenti videri fortasse missilibus careant
------
All spelling mistakes are my own and may only be distributed under the
GNU General Public License! - ((c) 1995-2001 by Coredump; 2002-2005
by DevNullius)

for server 2003 sp1 you can use this version of Acronis PartitionExpert 2003.

Member Avatar for Cabolet

I used Acronis Myself to resize a Win 2003 Partition, And as Tekmaven mentioned partition Magic will not install on a Win 2003 machine( I tried It). Just my 2 Cent.

Thanks for not telling that this will only work for the server edition. I downloaded the trial version and it looks a good tool. Then I bought it and find out that the product is no good for W3K. The site gives not much information so I find myself with a peace of software I can’t return and can’t use. And still no solution for my problem with the partitionL
The cost of the “normal” version = $49. The same functionality but then for a server cost $499. I consider that a nasty trick and will NOT ever buy a piece of software from acronis :mad: again!!!

yeah i also resized partition on server machine with disk director server solution.

I managed to resize a Win2003 basic partition quite easily.
I used ghost to make an image of the whole hard drive, and then restored this image back into the hard drive, but changed the sizes of the partitions :)
Ghost enables you to restore partitions to a different size. Just before you're about to start the restore you can edit the sizes of the target partitions.

The machine was a real server, and the hard drive was actually a raid volume, but it all worked perfectly as I used BartPE with the raid drivers.

Important:

1. Make sure to check the image file (with Ghost's check feature) after creating it!!! Otherwise you might start to restore a corrupt image ontop of a working server and ruin everything!!!
  2. Don't know how important that is, but I used:
    1. ghost32.exe v8.3
    2. ghost switch for backing up the boot sector: -ib
  3. I'm skeptic about this procedure working with dynamic partitions.
  4. Use at your own risk.

Tom

sorry, just mentioned, that i have already posted comments here

sorry, just mentioned, that i have already posted comments here

You know I work for the largest company in the world (GM) and they are all about buying something... anything! (hhhh the buracracy!) But this discusion even tops them! Havent you people ever heard of open source!

TRY GPARTED (just google it... its on sourceforge somewhere)... they even offer it in a live cd.. no software to install. It will work on ANY filesystem (Ntfs, fat32, fat, reiser, ext, even mac hfs) Trust me it works flawlessly on Server 2k3 Ent. and Std. I have used it on both!

In Windows server 2003 there is unallocated space. I cant able to create partion in that unallocated space. When i select that unallocated space and right clicked "New Partion" option is not enabled. Only the properties and help option enabled.

Give solution

When i select that unallocated space and right clicked "New Partion" option is not enabled. Only the properties and help option enabled.

What program are you using?

Give solution

Are you kidding me? :(

Niek

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.