Hi Guys,

I'm working on converting an existing site from classic ASP over to .NET. The existing user passwords are MD5-encrypted. I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to import those passwords into the Membership Provider. The salting is what's throwing me off.

The only thing I can think of (which I read on another site) would be to import all the accounts with some standard password. Then when the user first tries to log in, verify their information from the old DB table. If it's good, update their password in the membership provider at that point, then flag their old account as imported so that check isn't done in the future.

Is there an easier way??

PS - Go Pens :)

As you currently have MD5 encrypted user passwords, you can use the membership functions to imports them to membership roles programatically. The build-in classes are Membership, MembershipUser, MembershipProvider, etc.

As you currently have MD5 encrypted user passwords, you can use the membership functions to imports them to membership roles programatically. The build-in classes are Membership, MembershipUser, MembershipProvider, etc.

Thanks for the info, I will investigate and test! Can you point me towards a code example for doing that?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.