I'm trying to delete a picture and get the following error:
Cannot delete .....: Data error (cyclic redundancy check).

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

I'm trying to delete a picture and get the following error:
Cannot delete .....: Data error (cyclic redundancy check).

Hi,have tried deleting the picture in safe mode ,to get to safe mode reboot computer ,hit the f8 key while its booting to get to safe mode .

Hi,have tried deleting the picture in safe mode ,to get to safe mode reboot computer ,hit the f8 key while its booting to get to safe mode .

Thanks for the reply caperjack.
I tried in Safe Mode and get the same error msg.

Hi,SRC errors seem to be mostly with bad disk ,but of cource can also be something else .Is the photo onyour harddrive or a floppy ,or rewritable disk ,
Error message Googled

Hi,SRC errors seem to be mostly with bad disk ,but of cource can also be something else .Is the photo onyour harddrive or a floppy ,or rewritable disk ,
Error message Googled

The picture is on my hard drive. It is in a folder of copied pictures that I made to use for my wife's screensaver. When her screensaver came up, the hard drive made a "peculiar" sound that got my attention. I'm trying to delete the entire folder of pictures but anytime I access the folder/pictures the hard drive starts making the noise and the machine stops responding.

The picture is on my hard drive. It is in a folder of copied pictures that I made to use for my wife's screensaver. When her screensaver came up, the hard drive made a "peculiar" sound that got my attention. I'm trying to delete the entire folder of pictures but anytime I access the folder/pictures the hard drive starts making the noise and the machine stops responding.

could be the screensaver program is using them 1
you could try deleting through the CMD prompt
go start/run type in cmd ,in there type in DEL c:\what ever the path to the folder is like .c:\screensaverpictures or what everi it is to find correct path right click on the folder and its there under location

Appreciate the help. I was able to fix the files with Norton Disk Doctor.

I am having a similar problem with cabinet.dll I am getting errors telling me I have a bad or missing cabinet.dll. The file is there. In fact I have four copies on my machine, Two have the same date and are the same size. I tried to copy one of the others to windows/system32 but I get the CRC error message each time. I cannot remove or rename the file in system32. I have downloaded a new copy of the file and I get the same error message when I try to copy or move it into system 32.

I have tried safe mode.. made sure I have administrators access etc. Uses cmd mode. Nothing works. Any new suggestions.
[BTW: this is a new drive, XP has been newly installed and updated within the past 6 weeks, and I don't want to go back to geeksquad.]

Len
Leonad

Hmmm. After posting the last message, I tried chkdsk /f from the run line. After it rebooted, it discovered a numbe of unreadable sectors and corrected them. It reduced cabinet.dll to 2k but the file still couldn't be removed. I then remembered an old tool I have called "unlocker." http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/
I installed it and ran it on the dll, which then allowed me to remove it. I then copied one of the other copies of cabinet.dll into system32 and all of the problems I had been having disappeared.

Alls well that ends well. Hope this helps someone.

Thanks,

Len

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.