Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to connect and query sql databases in c#.

Thanks in advance

Recommended Answers

All 28 Replies

Umm, ok. I will give you some sample code, but you should really consider checking out the tutorials here at Daniweb, or C# websites with tutorials. The principles are the same no matter what language, the syntax is the only thing that differs. And google searches are a really good place to start.

Sample - as a console application in C#

using System;
using System.Data.SqlClient;

namespace ConsoleCSharp
{
	/// <summary>
	/// Summary description for Class1.
	/// </summary>
	class DataReader_SQL
	{
		/// <summary>
		/// The main entry point for the application.
		/// </summary>
		[STAThread]
		static void Main(string[] args)
		{
			//
			// TODO: Add code to start application here
			//
			try
			{
		    	SqlConnection thisConnection = new SqlConnection(@"Network Library=DBMSSOCN;Data Source=192.168.0.100,1433;database=Northwind;User id=Paladine;Password=;");
				thisConnection.Open();
		 	SqlCommand thisCommand = thisConnection.CreateCommand();
		 	thisCommand.CommandText = "SELECT CustomerID, CompanyName FROM Customers";
			 SqlDataReader thisReader = thisCommand.ExecuteReader();
				while (thisReader.Read())
				{
		 		Console.WriteLine("\t{0}\t{1}", thisReader["CustomerID"], thisReader["CompanyName"]);
					}
				thisReader.Close();
				thisConnection.Close();

}
			catch (SqlException e)
			{
				Console.WriteLine(e.Message);
			}

}
	}
}

** NOTE **
If you are using Visual Studio, rather than the commandline compiler, use CTRL + F5 to compile, as that will put a pause in the Console app, and keep it open for you to see the results.

Hope this helps.

commented: Well explained and commented. +0

how can you use the data to test conditions, not just write out data that you want.

Here is an example of the principles of ADO.Net

pseudocode

Sqldataadapter custAdapter = new SqlDataAdapter("SELECT * FROM Customers", thisConnection);
custAdapter.Fill(thisDataSet, "Customers");
foreach (DataRow custRow in thisDataSet.Tables["CustomerID"].Rows)
{ 
		if (custRow["City"].ToString() == "Madrid")
			   {
				 Console.WriteLine("Customer ID: " + custRow["CustomerID"]);
				}
}

Hope this helps.

thanks this was a lot of help

Glad I could help.

If I ever get a free mo...I will try to post some C# Tutorials

Hi, I'm trying to gain access to a postGres database. I've tried to use Npgsql but I get an error with the Mono.Security.dll file (the version is incorrect > but I can't find v2). So I thought I'd give the above method a try. I was just wondering in the statement: SqlConnection thisConnection = new SqlConnection(@"Network Library=DBMSSOCN;Data Source=192.168.0.100,1433;database=Northwind;User id=Paladine;Password=;"); What does the 'Network Library=DBMSSOCN' refer to? And would it change if I'm using postGres? I'll try it out when I get to work tomorrow but just thought I'd ask.

Thanks!

I've tested the above connection and there's an error in the detection of a SQLServer... which makes sense since I'm using the wrong provider... I think that 'Network Library=DBMSSOCN' specifies the provider? And a provider allows you to connect to the require database server... but I'm not sure. Regardless, I'm still unsure of how to connect to my PostGres database. Can some help please :)

Well I've finally figured out how to get Ngpsql to work!! I downloaded the beta version and that came with the correct version of the Mono.Security.dll file. A piece of advice to those that plan to use it, perhaps you'd just want to copy the Mono.Security.dll file to the /bin/Debug and /bin/Release directories of your project instead of adding it as a reference.

can anyone please specify the concept of
SqlConnection thisConnection = new SqlConnection(@"Network Library=DBMSSOCN;Data Source=192.168.0.100,1433;database=Northwind;User id=Paladine;Password=;");

Thanks in Advance :)

how do you connect to a Excel database using c#

Hmmm, perhaps I'm mistaken but there are no 'Excel databases.' I think you simply wish to read from an Excel file > that is, a spreadsheet. In which case, there are probably (or rather must be) API's out there and a Google search will definitely aid you in that.

Or perhaps you mean to access a Microsoft Access database?

can we use dataset in console mode and how

how do you connect to a Excel database using c#

You can use one of the Microsoft database connectors, if you have it installed, some may be provided by installing Office or other products. Your DSN string will be something like:

Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=C:\MyExcel.xls;Extended Properties="Excel 8.0;HDR=Yes;IMEX=1";

at least, if you are using the Jet OLEDB type connection. There are others, see http://www.connectionstrings.com/ for better informed examples.

This will allow you to access a table within a worksheet, the HDR=Yes tells it to expect a row of column names at the top, you have to handle the data types yourself, I think. I have working code examples at work someplace but nothing available here.

OleDbConnection  con = new OleDbConnection (@"Network Library=DBMSSOCN;Data Source=10.16.132.1;database=craccount;User id=rameshc;Password=;Vishnu10");
            con.Open();
            int a, j;
            string gender;
                        a = int.Parse(textBox8.Text);
                        if ( radioButton1 .Checked == true )
                            gender = "male";
                        else
                            gender = "female";
                        MessageBox.Show(a.ToString());
                        if (a > 1000)
                        {
                            OleDbCommand  cmd = new OleDbCommand ("select *from bankinfo,con");
                            cmd.CommandType = CommandType.Text;
                            cmd.CommandText = "insert into account values ('" + textBox1.Text + "','" + textBox2.Text + "','" + textBox3.Text + "','" + textBox4.Text + "','" + textBox5.Text + "','" + gender + "','" + textBox6.Text + "','" + textBox7.Text + "','" + textBox8.Text + "')";
                            j = cmd.ExecuteNonQuery();
                            con.Close();
                        }
                        else
                        {
                            MessageBox.Show("No Sufficent data");
                        }

you can use this statement to connect with sql

string str = MyProject.Properties.Settings.Default.dbnameConnectionString;
sqlconnection conn=new sqlconnection(str);

Even I have a doubt on @"Network Library=DBMSSOCN..? also, what is 'Persist info', that is in connection string...

class sqlconnection
    {
        SqlConnection myconcection;

private void getConnection()
        {
            String connstring = "";//your connection string
            SqlConnection myconcection = new SqlConnection(connstring);
        }

// method to get data
        public DataSet getData(String sql)
        {
            getConnection();

SqlDataAdapter adptre = new SqlDataAdapter();
            DataSet resultSet = new DataSet();

SqlCommand sqlcmd = new SqlCommand(sql, myconcection);
            adptre.SelectCommand = sqlcmd;
            myconcection.Open();
            try
            {
                adptre.Fill(resultSet);            
            }

catch(Exception ex)
            {

}
            myconcection.Close();
            return resultSet;
        }
        // method to add data
        public void setData(string sqlcmd)
        {
            getConnection();
            myconcection.Open();

string sqlcommand = sqlcmd;
            SqlCommand cmd = new SqlCommand(sqlcommand, myconcection);
            cmd.ExecuteNonQuery();
            myconcection.Close();
        }

}

How to connect a form to a sql server database from C# to ado.net. Please help me

please help me out to connect oracle database in c# a complete example program is needed! please help

Could i just ask, Is using a LINQ to SQL class any "better" than going down the ADO route? im just started learning C#, am i correct in thinking ADO is an older way of doing stuff?

LINQ to SQL is part of the ADO.NET family of technologies. It is based on services provided by the ADO.NET provider model. You can therefore mix LINQ to SQL code with existing ADO.NET applications and migrate current ADO.NET solutions to LINQ to SQL.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb386944.aspx

i have to receice values from a stored proceudre in c# i dont have any output parameter and want to receive it how can i do it in c#...
The Code of Stored Procedure is given below:

create PROCEDURE sp_IsValidLogon
@UserID nvarchar(16),
@Password nvarchar(16)
As
if exists(Select * From Authenticate
Where UserID = @UserID
And
Password = @Password)

begin
return(1)
end
else
return (0)

Is this correct, if not suggest a better one. The DB has only two columns userid and password..
How will i receive the return value in c#

Thanks a lot

@lal.ramesh

We appreciate your help. Have you ever noticed that the current thread is five years old? Please do not resurrect threads that are years old. By doing so you run the risk of confusing current posters. If you have any questions please ask. You are welcome to start your own threads. Have a look at forum rules.

Thread Locked.

@Paladine: Hey buddy; actually i couldnt convert that code you gave in C# to a code in C. Can you or any1 else please convert it in c and give me; or can you please give me a link to somewhere from where i could learn how could i do it.
Thanks in advance
It would be a gr8 help for me
Thanks
Daksh

Commenting on an 8 year old post and directing it to someone who hasn't logged on in 3 years. I'm sure he'll get right on that.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.