I have read the posts regarding hotmail but none of the fixes worked. I get a messages stating "Sorry, the page you requested was not found" I tried the following fixes:

1. The date on your computer needs to be set properly -- double click the clock verify that
the time and date are set.

2. Check your IE Security settings -- open Internet Explorer, click the TOOLS menu, then
INTERNET OPTIONS, then click the ADVANCED tab, scroll to the Security section, and verify that "Check for server certificate revocation" is UNCHECKED(if it's CHECKED then UNCHECK IT). Also verify that 'Use SSL 2.0' and Use SSL 3.0' are CHECKED(if there UNCHECKED then CHECK them) then click OK.

3. Click Start, then Run, and enter the following:

regsvr32 softpub.dll

then click OK

When entering "regsvr32 softpub.dll" a message says it has been succeeded.
I have re-downloaded 6.0. Also of interest is that Mozilla used to show the Explorer bookmarks. Since the problem with Explorer began that option under bookmarks on Mozilla has disappeared.

Also the problem is on this computer. I can get to my yahoo mail just fine from work and we use IE there as well.

Thanks,

Reg

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

Do you have service pack 1 for IE6? If not, install it and see if it helps.

How can I tell what service pack is installed? I did have or tried to install Service pack 2 a few months ago. The results were disaterous. The computer crashes so hard we were one step from having to do a full hard drive reformatting. We ended up having to do a full recovery. Some data was lost. Since then I refuse to do any Windows updates.

This computer - an HP running XP home and another older- a Compaq running 98 always acted worse after any undate. We don't know why.

Thanks

Reg

Crunchie is talking about Internet Explorer service pack 1.... and you must be talking about windows xp service pack 2. You can see whether your IE has a service pack or not by opening IE and then going to help --> about internet explorer.

It says Update version: SP1. So I guess I have it.

If nothing else I can restore the computer to an earlier date when things worked. I would just like to know what went wrong.

Reg

The disease is spreading. Now I can't open news stories on Yahoo. I get the same message:

" Sorry, the page you requested was not found.
Please check the URL for proper spelling and capitalization. If you're having trouble locating a destination on Yahoo!, try visiting the Yahoo! home page or look through a list of Yahoo!'s online services. Also, you may find what you're looking for if you try searching below."

What is going on?

Mozilla works just fine. What is Explorer's problem?

Reg

I have been having problems with my Yahoo Pop Mail Account.
I can send and receive emails but if I embed files or attach files it just hangs.

Nano,

The fix would not run. I received the message "IExplore.exe on Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 1 is needed." I do not have any such disk. The software came pre-loaded on this machine. I do have recovery disks.

After closing out the error message it stated that the fix was completed.

End line: the problem remains. My Explorer homepage is good for little more than interactive wallpaper.

I am using Mozilla. The Microsoft web site is useless. Nothing but FAQs and no help rat mazes and loops. Companies don't wants to fix their products just sell you new ones.

Reg

Check to see if your PC has a folder called \Windows\Options\Cabs which contains the windows installation files. If so, browse to that folder when you are asked for the CD.

If you've installed IE6 SP1 from a different CD (magazine cover disk perhaps?) pop that in the drive and browse to it.

No such folder. No other CDs.

Reg

Any other ideas?

Explorer will not overwrite the present installation. And the present program will not allow itself to be deleted.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.