http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/7042205/Top-ten-internet-passwords-to-be-avoided.html

That doesn't mean number 11 on the list is completely safe - choose wisely!

Recommended Answers

All 36 Replies

And if you think you have a really good password, you can post it here and we'll review it :icon_wink:

"That's amazing. I've got the same combination on my luggage!" - President Skroob

my password is on the list, the 'iloveyou' one.

My password is always the day of the week my password was created. I tell people that, too, because it's not like they'll know what day of the week I created it. That makes it secure. Extremely secure.

My password is always the day of the week my password was created. I tell people that, too, because it's not like they'll know what day of the week I created it. That makes it secure. Extremely secure.

And assuming you don't vary case, there's like 10 to the.... er 2 to the... oh wait there's only seven things to guess. They'll never catch on. :) (it's more fun if you weren't kidding)

Really? Give me 7 guesses... :icon_rolleyes:

commented: hehe +0

I have an entirely different type of password.
It is really hard to guess.
O.K. I give you guys a hint and you all guess it
"YOU WERE A HUMAN....YOU DIE AND NOW AGAIN YOU ARE A HUMAN"

My password is always the day of the week my password was created. I tell people that, too, because it's not like they'll know what day of the week I created it. That makes it secure. Extremely secure

Reasons you fail:

*Short
*Dictionary word
*Only alphabetic characters of a single case.

You guys are right. I should change it to the month it was created instead.

> I should change it to the month it was created instead.
Is it "January"?

commented: Haha +0

Secure? i can just try to input the 7 days of a weeks until it's correct.

My password contains the name of an artifact from one of my favorite TV shows plus some numbers. And I use the same password everwhere, including DaniWeb. I've been told that an ideal password that would be very difficult to crack would contain at least 8 characters, at least one UPPER CASE character, one lower-case character, two numbers, and two non-alphabetic or non-numeric characters (such as ~,.-+ etc)

I have to create a new password every month, so it is the name of my first girl friend plus the number of the month.

i changed my password weekly, using my favorite naruto character + PHP function rand();

I use the same password for everything (nearly everything anyway) it contains part of the WPA2 key for my router, part of the phone number at my previous address and part of my name :P

It is not a dictionary word, is 16 characters long has a mix of alphanumeric characters and symbols, so I would like to think it is fairly secure :)

Usually my password, is something like this , xxxxxxYZZZZ, where
x is a letter, Y is a punctuation, and Z is a number.

My passwords are so good/random/meaningless ("ert34W89P") that even I can't remember them. That's why I keep them all in a binder on my desk labeled "Passwords". Apparently this is extremely common.

The folks at the NSA will pick your super secret password in less than a second. So, pick something simple you can easily type and remember in the hope that it is safe from the boss or your underage sister.

The folks at the NSA will pick your super secret password in less than a second. .

I doubt NSA will be interested in looking into my computer, so that's not any threat to me. If you have information that is super secret or sensitive then put it on an external hard drive and unplug it when not needed (which is what US military used to do when I was on active duty). If you are using a business computer then of course that is a more serious and different problem.

Hi all
I doubt NSA has so much of free time to play with our passwords.
If they are interested still I doubt if my password can be traced.
Lets see....

I've started mixing words together that i can easily remember for my passwords. Pretend my house alarm code is 7142, and my college username is WILLH, mix them together and:

7  1  4  3
 W  I  L  L  H
---------------
7W1I4L3LH

It looks pretty secure, and if you ever forget it, you can figure it out again in a minute or so.

Hi
That is indeed a good idea WILLIAM

I sometimes use a noun, a color, and a number that I can see from where I sit then add a *.

When I was part of a operations team that had to change passwords monthly and keep the team around the world up to date, we used a set of 5 volumes of sniglets and added a number. We could freely pass around the password because the reference would be something like 6,22,1 which meant the volume 6, page 22, word 1. Unless you knew what the source was you could not get to it easily and yet, they were easily remembered.

Really? Give me 7 guesses... :icon_rolleyes:

What if the days aren't in English?

People like to be popular, why not their password?

I use only popular words like racecar and spell them in reverse. :)

The folks at the NSA will pick your super secret password in less than a second. So, pick something simple you can easily type and remember in the hope that it is safe from the boss or your underage sister.

Really, how? Because the NSA might have faster computers and similarly capable algorithms, or even more advanced, than anyone else... but mathematics still applies to them and if I use a sufficiently long password they are still never going to figure it out without seizing my computer or intercepting it on the interwebs. Not that I know anything worth knowing, I'm just saying, I call BS on you.

My password could win a popularity contest.

The best way to have a short and easy to remember password is by having a password like the following ¢£¤¥¦§ or even the whole ascii table like the following

!"#
$%&'()*+,-./0123
456789:;<=>?@ABC
DEFGHIJKLMNOPQRS
TUVWXYZ[\]^_`abc
defghijklmnopqrs
tuvwxyz{|}~€‚ƒ
„…†‡ˆ‰Š‹ŒŽ‘’“
”•–—˜™š›œžŸ ¡¢£
¤¥¦§¨©ª«¬®¯°±²³
´µ¶·¸¹º»¼½¾¿ÀÁÂÃ
ÄÅÆÇÈÉÊËÌÍÎÏÐÑÒÓ
ÔÕÖ×ØÙÚÛÜÝÞßàáâã
äåæçèéêëìíîïðñòó
ôõö÷øùúûüýþÿ

Who has a password like the above? Now that's the uncrackable. But as for a side note, has any site made an alternative to passwords because I heard there was a debate if passwords should be depreciated but obviously never went ahead. (No reply expected) I myself am developing an alternative system where you click colors to make your password as then it can never be weak. Also have you heard of passwords like the following

qwerty
itunes!
internet
mycomputer
c++rox
c++rox!

A list of simple passwords. I wonder if anybody has made a list like that because just like calculating pi anybody could spend half their life writing out possible passwords. But yea, I've heard of some of the passwords people use and makes me wonder why do they bother using a password.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.