Can anyone help?

I want to execute a function depending on what select dropdown is chosen. The select name is dynamic so I need it to happen in one function loop

For e.g. The following function works and returns the correct class but its not going to work for my purposes and I need to wrap some if statements around it.

<script type='text/javascript'>
function div_It(id){
	document.getElementById('div1').className="x" + id + "z";	
}
</script>

however if I choose another select dropdown it eliminates the previous dropdown choice from the div and replaces it with a new class already specified in the CSS.

What I would like to do is

<select name="**the name is dynamically got from database**" onChange="div_It(this.value);">

function div_It(id)
If select name="abc"

{

document.getElementById('div1').className="x" + id + "z";	
}

If select name="def"

{

document.getElementById('div2').className="x" + id + "z";	
}

If select name="ghi"

{

document.getElementById('div3').className="x" + id + "z";	
}
</script>

<div id="div1"></div>
<div id="div2"></div>
<div id="div3"></div>

Can anyone advise me how to add the if statements to the function so that all select dropdowns are catered for and the values are returned to the correct div?

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

One way that I can think of is that instead of passing this.value in the onchange event of the select box you can pass the object this itself as follows,

<select name="**the name is dynamically got from database**" onChange="div_It(this);">

And than in the div_It() function you can use both the name and value to serve your purpose.

function div_It(id){
     if(id.name=="abc"){
 	document.getElementById('div1').className="x" + id.value + "z";	
     }
     else if(id.name=="def"){
 	document.getElementById('div2').className="x" + id.value + "z";	
     }
     else if(id.name=="ghi"){
 	document.getElementById('div3').className="x" + id.value + "z";	
     }
}
</script>

Though this is not a perfect solution hope it gives you some starting pointers towards solution.

You are a genius! Thank you so very much, this is a perfect solution.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.