I'm a newbie/novice here who recently purchased a Linksys WRT54G Wireless Broadband router (though I'm currently using the non-wireless access via cable ports). My intention is to browse the web on my PC while viewing baseball on MLB.TV on my non-wireless laptop. I can do both individually with the cable directly from my modem or thru the router. My problem is receiving a simultaneous connection on both.

I tried setting up each with the Linksys CD, though the laptop won't let me connect to the router to complete setup. I tried the Network connection Wizard and it tried to dial up the connection. I also tried turning on the modem, connecting the cables to the proper ports, plugging in the router, then turning on the PC and laptop, in that order, but neither connection ever works. When I re-connect the modem cable directly back to the PC or laptop, the broadband connection works on that device, and continues to work after conecting back thru the router. But only on that computer, not the other. BTW, the power button blinks on the router but the light is solid on 2 of the ports.

This is quite frustrating. I wish I had a simple $2 connection splitter (like you use for cable TV) instead of this infernal router box. I'm not looking to share info between computers; I merely want an internet connection on both PC and laptop at the same time so I can watch the game.

After going to Start/Run, typing "Cmd", hitting enter, typing "ipconfig/all" then entering, this is what info came up on the PC:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : VAIO
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Network Bridge:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : sc.rr.com
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : MAC Bridge Miniport
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 32-B3-26-11-0E-36
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 24.31.203.221
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.248.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 24.31.200.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.56.192.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 24.31.195.62

This is the info given on the laptop:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : LAPTOP
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Network Bridge:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : sc.rr.com
Description . . . . . : Intel<R> Pro/100 UE Network Connection
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-08-0D-6E-12-13
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 169,254.2.249
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Linksys customer support is worthless (perpetual busy signals). So any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Paul

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

well it appears that the DHCP server is not running. so one computer is grabbing only ip address from Road Runner and using it for itself.

the first machine gets this IP info
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 24.31.203.221
that ip address right there is a RR IP, not an internal ip address.
your other box gets this ip:
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 169.254.2.249
that IP address is a default windows IP address.

usally the config page for router / dhcp is at http://192.168.1.1
user name: admin
password: admin
you need to look thru the config menus and turn on dhcp server. I dunno why its not turned on by default. also check both of your computers to make sure they obtain an ip automaticly and are not being assigned one!
my computer > control panel > Network and Dial-up Connections > Local area connection > double click it > properties > select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) > properties > make sure (0) optain an IP adress automatically and (0) optain DNS server address automatically.
if you have any problems or questions feel free to ask. also, check your manual. it will tell you how to enable the DHCP server!
*note* you may have to release the IP address your computer has. (this may also be why the router portion is not working.) to realse an IP, type in. ipconfig/release.
then to get a new one or renew one. type in ipconfig/renew.

[edit] (I just noticed recently at the tip of the post! how recently!) did you only connect 1 computer to the cable modem before you got this wifi router? if so, this is most likely the problem. do: ipconfig/release on the box that has the 24.xx.xx.xx ip / reset your router/ give it a min to establish a connection and get an IP, then either restart your computer or type in ipconfig/renew. then do ipconfig/all... your IP should be something like 192.168.0.100![/edit]

I am trying to connect two computers through a router that can support up to 8 computers we have all new cables and am running of a 2 way spliter it will only allow one computer to connect through the internet at one time....any suggestions?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.