Hello,

I have compaq armada m700 laptop.
I want to reset the password of bios(power-on).
I know that with fix the jumper setting ,It can be done.
But if anybuddy genious can tell me some diff. way to reset it.
good solution will b appriciated.

Recommended Answers

All 14 Replies

remove the main battery and mains power supply, hit the power switch to drain any retained charge. then remove the cmos battery and short out the contacts. the cmos battery is on the right under the panel at the top of the keyboard, which can be popped out by gently levering it up at the edges. the key board can then be folded clear, watch for the ribbon cable under it that connects to the motherboard.

plz

i cant get the the cmos battery

can i make power-on password reset whithout this step ???

ty

plz

i cant get the the cmos battery

can i make power-on password reset whithout this step ???

ty

no other way i know of. but you can get to the cmos battery via the removable panel on the bottom right front of the case (other side from the battery). first remove the main battery. next remove the panel, under it you will see a modem card, remove the modem card and you should see the cmos battery to the right side its loke a big watch battery. there will be a connector on the wires going to the battery. remove this to disconnect it. now just push the start button with the machine un plugged, just to discharge any residual power. wait a couple of minutes then reconnect the cmos battery then the modem card, then the main battery. plug it in and start it up. the screen will come up with something like "cmos bad checksum, defaults loaded" do not worry this is normal. if it doesn't start normally, switch it off by holding the on button down until it goes off then restart. it should be fine after that, password gone. you can then get into your bios and set it up to your liking.

if you need a it here is a link to download the service manual for your m700.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/UCR/SupportManual/TPM_125403-007/TPM_125403-007.pdf

Hi,
I have the same problem with HP NC4000.
The laptop is "Power-on password" locked.
Can you help me???

Thanks

Andrew

no other way i know of. but you can get to the cmos battery via the removable panel on the bottom right front of the case (other side from the battery). first remove the main battery. next remove the panel, under it you will see a modem card, remove the modem card and you should see the cmos battery to the right side its loke a big watch battery. there will be a connector on the wires going to the battery. remove this to disconnect it. now just push the start button with the machine un plugged, just to discharge any residual power. wait a couple of minutes then reconnect the cmos battery then the modem card, then the main battery. plug it in and start it up. the screen will come up with something like "cmos bad checksum, defaults loaded" do not worry this is normal. if it doesn't start normally, switch it off by holding the on button down until it goes off then restart. it should be fine after that, password gone. you can then get into your bios and set it up to your liking.

if you need a it here is a link to download the service manual for your m700.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/UCR/SupportManual/TPM_125403-007/TPM_125403-007.pdf

if you mean the BIOS password. you need to clear the cmos, this is fairly straightforward. you just need to find the cmos jumpers or battery, the steps are pretty much the same as described above. To locate the jumpers or battery your best bet is to get a service manual. you can get one free from eserviceinfo(I checked). just put the make and model into the search and download. be aware that most manuals are multi-part so make sure get em all or they won't open. you'll need something to open rar files(winrar). if you're not used to looking inside a laptop get someone to give you a hand.
If you're having problems getting past the widows password you will need a copy of one of many "ultimate boot disks" and just reset it. they are usually fairly straightforward to use. wininternals windows recovery console is quite handy,

Hello!

I can see that its quite a while since you asked for help, but if you are still not able to reset the password, then look at this site:

http://sundvall.dk/jan/elektronik/compaq_armada_m700.htm

Hope this can help you... :o)

Hello,

I have compaq armada m700 laptop.
I want to reset the password of bios(power-on).
I know that with fix the jumper setting ,It can be done.
But if anybuddy genious can tell me some diff. way to reset it.
good solution will b appriciated.

Hello!

I can see that its quite a while since you asked for help, but if you are still not able to reset the password, then look at this site:

http://sundvall.dk/jan/elektronik/compaq_armada_m700.htm

Hope this can help you... :o)

That site refers to desoldering a EEPROM wich is not the easiest way.

I just resetted my BIOS password by following the steps in the service manual.

2.2 Clearing Passwords
1. Turn off the computer.
2. Disconnect the AC Adapter (refer to Section 5.3).
3. Remove the battery pack (Section 5.6).
4. Disconnect and remove the Real Time Clock (RTC) battery (Section 5.11).
5. Wait five minutes.
6. Reconnect the RTC battery.
7. Install the keyboard deck and keyboard assembly.
8. Reconnect the AC Adapter. Do not reinstall the battery pack yet.
9. Turn on the computer.
NOTE: Remember to set the date and time the next time the computer is turned on.

There is a link to the manual further up in this tread, and also a quick guide for how to remove the RTC battery. It's NOT underneath the keyboard as someone said.

Best of luck!

//daishan

hi, i have a toshiba satellite l300d laptop which was working perfectly fine, after leaving it with my brother while on holiday, got it back asking for the bios password.....how do i get round this and will i need to take the laptop apart?

thanks

stephanie

Ineed to know how to set or rest my password on my laptops

You have hijacked an old thread (Dec 31st, 2008)
Start your own thread giving a lot of information about your PC and OS.
Check out this site before you start a new thread, may may help you.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+to+avoid+lmgtfy

A. By Using the Motherboard Jumper:

In most motherboards CMOS battery is soldered, which makes it difficult to remove the battery. In this case we use another method.

Almost all motherboards contain a jumper that can clear all CMOS settings along with the BIOS password. The location of this jumper varies depending upon the motherboard brand. You should read your motherboard manual to check its location. If you don't have the manual then look for the jumpers near the CMOS battery. Most of the manufacturer label the jumper as CLR, CLEAR, CLEAR CMOS, etc.

When you find the jumper, look carefully. There will be 3 pins and the jumper will be joining the center pin to either left or right pin. What you need to do, is remove the jumper and join the center pin to the opposite pin. e.g. if the jumper joins center pin to left pin, then remove it and join center pin to right pin. Now wait for a few seconds and then again remove the jumper and join the center pin to left pin.

Make sure to turn the PC off before opening the cabinet and resetting the jumper.

B. By Using Software:

I have found that BIOS/CMOS Password Recovery Tool is the most effective.:
BIOS/CMOS Password Recovery Tool is a program that works instantly to remove any lost or forgotten BIOS/CMOS password. Simply boot your PC to DOS and execute the program, and get access to forgotten BIOS/CMOS passwords in just seconds

i just got this computer and i still have no results on doing so. HELP!

i was able to do it with the jimb idea thanks alot

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.