Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone knows a good VB.net tutorial. I'm not a beginner programmer by any means, I have experiance in another .net language, C# but I have a course in VB.net next semester and wanted to get a head start. Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Tyler S. Breton

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

Member Avatar for iamthwee

To be honest I'm learning vb.net at the mo and most the online tutorials suck. You'd be better of getting a book if you can afford it.

I see by your signiture that you know c# and vb6. You should have no problems picking up on vb net as it is not that different from either of them.
If you don't have it get the vb express 2005 (it's free). There are tutorials on msn for convertitng from vb6 to vb net.

The main difference between vb.net and c# is just syntax really so it shouldn't be much of a leap between the two. I would recommend you download some starter kits from www.asp.net and review some of the tutorials there.

Online tutorials do suck, actually, except for the Javascript and other web language tutorials on w3schools, but as for VB.NET, inside of the application there are links to a bunch of tutorials on the start page.
If you know VB6, VB.NET really is the same, except for a few major differences, but commands such as Form1.Show are pretty much the same in VB.NET, just with () at the end, Form1.Show().

The switch from VB6 to VB.NET took about a week for me, and I am only 14.

Hope this helps.

-- Alex

If you know VB6, VB.NET really is the same, except for a few major differences

I don't know why that statement made me chuckle. Cheers! Yes, thank you all for your help, I found one offered by Microsoft for free in pdf format, and came to the realization that VB.net is just a C# and VB6 mix (both of which I know), with minor syntactical (a word?) differences. I don't see much of a benefit to mastering VB.net as I already know VB6 quite well and should probably just focus on C#, as it is obviously the .net language MS is pushing more these days. I should have no problem acing my VB.net intro course next semester as it is probably just an intro to the .net framework more than an intro to the syntax of the language.

Best Regards,

Tyler S. Breton

Well I recommend that you check out the following links at Microsoft. MSDN and Google are often overlooked too often as places to look for code/tutorials. I did a search on Video Tutorials and here is an excellent intro series to VB.NET:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/vb/learning/

It is with VBExpress, which is free, and will be an excellent starting point when trying to learn VB.NET

I don't know why that statement made me chuckle. Cheers! Yes, thank you all for your help, I found one offered by Microsoft for free in pdf format, and came to the realization that VB.net is just a C# and VB6 mix (both of which I know), with minor syntactical (a word?) differences. I don't see much of a benefit to mastering VB.net as I already know VB6 quite well and should probably just focus on C#, as it is obviously the .net language MS is pushing more these days. I should have no problem acing my VB.net intro course next semester as it is probably just an intro to the .net framework more than an intro to the syntax of the language.

Best Regards,

Tyler S. Breton

I can see why my post made you laugh... What I meant to say was that VB.NET and VB6 really are the same, there are just a few things that you need to get acustomed to before you can use VB.NET to its full potential.

Try the Microsoft website; they have some nice .NET tutorials there.

-- Alex

To be honest I'm learning vb.net at the mo and most the online tutorials suck. You'd be better of getting a book if you can afford it.

Yes you are right... The only source you can find tutorials is all in msdn.microsoft.com

How to use barcode in vb.net with code

VB is basically the same as C# in the way that it visually looks the same, although variables are declared and used different other than that Microsoft have C# Step by Step which you can get as a free ebook. If you look around.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.