how can i retrive data from database (mysql)and make it a drop down menu on a html form using php .and also if an iteam is selected from a fist dropdown before the next well become active.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

HI danguttm

I am in the process of doing the samething, kinda. I know how to tell you how to retrieve the data from the db, and I did an html tag with the droplist.

My db in mysql is movie ticket prices by ages. You have to make a connection to the db in mysql

<?php

// Make a MySQL Connection
mysql_connect("localhost", "root", "root") or die(mysql_error());
mysql_select_db("name of the schema in tghe db") or die(mysql_error());

// Retrieve all the data from the "example" table
$result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM movies")
or die(mysql_error());

// store the record of the "example" table into $row
$row = mysql_fetch_array( $result );

// Print out the contents of the entry
$num=mysql_numrows($result);

hope this helps

Member Avatar for Rhyan

and also if an iteam is selected from a fist dropdown before the next well become active.

What do you mean by that?. Note if you're creating a dropdown list, you should put it in a form in order to work, or use some javascript to invoke some action upon change of the option.

Note that the dropdown list is a <select></select> element with <option></option> inside. Using the code from the previous post, you can create the dropdown using this php code:

$num = mysql_num_rows($connection);

echo '<select id="mylist" name="mylist">';
 for ($i=0; $i<$num; $i++)
  {
  echo '<option value=".$dataFromDb[].">'.$dataFromDb[].'</option>';
  }
echo '</select>';

Another option. This will also have option to select a current option. This assumes that we have some $id set to signify which item will be selected in the list.

echo '<select id="mylist" name="mylist">';
while($row = mysql_fetch_array($rs)){
 $selected = ($row['id'] == $id) ? 'selected' : ''; 
 echo '<option value=".$row['id']." '.$selected.'>'.$row['title'].'</option>';
 }
echo '</select>';

You will need to use Javascript for the doubleselect functionality you metioned. Or you could have this select refresh the page onChange="", and then render the second Select upon refresh. Javascript would be cleaner.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.