I have a Gateway 7215GX and some how it seems the power button is now unresponsive. I believe it was caused by my fiance mashing down too hard which caused the button to be pushed under and slightly over, I managed to move it back into place and it has been working for several months just fine. Now however the button seems to be in place, but doesn't have that "click" feel to it that it normally would when depressed. I was wondering if there's an alternative method to powering on the notebook, some kind of key combination or something. Also if anybody would happen to know the repair fee of something like this, just a ballpark would help.

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

I do not think there is a way to turn a laptop on without the power button. how old is the laptop in question?

It's about two years old.

dont suppose you purchased any extended warranty did u?

I have a Gateway Notebook about a year and a half old. Periodically, the screen locks up, I disconnect the power cord, pull out the battery. I reconnect everything with no response from the power button and no lights on showing power. In about 10 minutes power comes on. Yikes!
Thanks
DB

Two wires come off of the header on the motherboard and run through the on/off switch. This switch is a momentary type, this means that it only makes contact when it is depressed.

To replace this on a desk top computer would be pretty easy, replacing one in the laptop could be complicated. Getting access to it and finding one that will match its size and shape will be the biggest problems, but it can be done if you are mechanically inclined.

I have a Gateway Notebook about a year and a half old. Periodically, the screen locks up, I disconnect the power cord, pull out the battery. I reconnect everything with no response from the power button and no lights on showing power. In about 10 minutes power comes on. Yikes!
Thanks
DB

If you post your own thread you will get more readers which would be to your benefit. Posting your problem in someone else's thread only confuses the original thread when people start replying to both questions. This is considered hijacking, not cool.

Two wires come off of the header on the motherboard and run through the on/off switch. This switch is a momentary type, this means that it only makes contact when it is depressed.

To replace this on a desk top computer would be pretty easy, replacing one in the laptop could be complicated. Getting access to it and finding one that will match its size and shape will be the biggest problems, but it can be done if you are mechanically inclined.

THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR REPLY, I'M NOT THAT MECHANICALLY INCLINED. I'LL TAKE IT IN. BEST.
EAT GLUTEN FREE.
DB

I have the same Gateway laptop and encountered the same problem with the on-off switch. Gateway concedes this fault and will replace the switch even after the warranty has run but you have send the computer to them and wait for two weeks or longer to get it back. A local repair facility replaced the broken switch for me in a couple of days at a cost of about $70.00. The problem has since recurred and we keep the computer turned on all the time which I know is not recommended but does not seem to have done it any harm.

I am sort of having the same problem. Someone must have shut my laptop down and the power button is a little damaged. now I cn't get it to power back up. Gateway wants $199, but I believe that I can get it fixed cheaper than that

I have that problem too, but I call it a wife, not a fiance'. In fact, I fixed my problem and you can too. First off, she's not just a biatch....she's YOUR biatch! You can do this man, but it's gonna require you walk like you have a set. Now, first...Take her to the computer store and drop her off with that laptop. Tell her it's HER problem and tell her she can't come back unless she fixes HER problem. Then go to Starbuck's and have yourself a Mocha Frappucino and relax. Everything's gonna be ah-ight.

I have a gateway mt3705 and I went inside and found there's no spring or anything to make it spring back so I'm wondering if I can put in some kind of spring or a cushion to make it spring back? Maybe with some glue or something.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.