I have a simple database that displays information in various datagridview controls on the same form. One thing I would like to do is change the colour of a row if the value from a cell returns "poor", or "fair"

I call a private function to go through each row in the datagrid just after it is connected to the bingingSource. I can get it to change the colour, but it formats all the rows with that colour, and I want only the row that returned the value to be changed.

private void checkForSurveyColour()
    {
        foreach (DataGridViewRow row in dataGridView1.Rows)
        {
            try
            {
                CNumColour = dataGridView1.CurrentRow.Cells["RepVisits"].FormattedValue.ToString();
                if (CNumColour != null)
                {
                    foreach(DataGridViewCell cells in row.Cells)
                    {
                        if (CNumColour == "Fair")
                        {
                            cells.Style.ForeColor = Color.Pink;
                        }
                        else if (CNumColour == "Poor")
                        {
                            cells.Style.ForeColor = Color.Red;
                        }
                    }
                }

}
            catch(System.Exception ex)
            {

}
        }

}

Thanks.

This might help. You shouldnt have to check if its null because if its not equal to Fair or Poor it wont matter. Also, as long as you have a column within the dataview named RepVisits and you know it will be there ever single time, you dont need the try/catch.

private void checkForSurveyColour(DataGridView dv) {
  foreach (DataRow dr in dv.Rows) {
    if(dr.Cells["RepVisits "].ToString().Equals("Fair") || dr.Cells["RepVisits "].ToString().Equals("Poor") {
      dr.Cells["RepVisits"].Style.ForeColor = Color.Red;
}
}

That is much more compact and I believe it should work the same way. The syntax might not be exactly how it should be but if you use visual studio and use the CTL + SPACE shortcuts after puting a period, it helps a lot in finding the proper method/properties you need.

Hope it helped.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.