Hi,

I've got an old white box with an EliteGroup (ECS) K7S5A (Rev 3.X) motherboard, which has 4 memory banks: 2 for SDR SDRAM modules (168-pin) and 2 for DDR SDRAM modules (184-pin).

It supports non-ECC, unbuffered modules only, up to a total of 1GB. Currently has one 256MB SDRAM PC133 module in it and I want to add a new 512MB module.

The issue is that Crucial's System Scanner recommends me to upgrade through a choice of DDR modules, while Kingston's website states that "This board supports both DDR and SDRAM memory technologies. However, they cannot be mixed at the same time."

So I'm pretty confused! Any advice?

The pages related to my mainboard I've looked up:
Crucial: http://snipurl.com/1tmns
Kingston: http://snipurl.com/1tmol
(I've given up at trying to find info on ECS' own website.)

MANY thanks in advance to everyone who can help!

Alberto,
Spain

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Thanks for your input, caperjack!

So, in spite of Kingston's warning about not mixing the two types of memory on my mobo, you see no problem in doing so, then? Or am I missing something…?

I know DDR is faster, and I considered getting two 512 DDRs, but for the use I'm giving this box... I'd rather get just one - as long as it can work no-problem with that 256 SDRAM, that is.

Thanks for your input, caperjack!

So, in spite of Kingston's warning about not mixing the two types of memory on my mobo, you see no problem in doing so, then? Or am I missing something…?

I know DDR is faster, and I considered getting two 512 DDRs, but for the use I'm giving this box... I'd rather get just one - as long as it can work no-problem with that 256 SDRAM, that is.

no you can't mix them,one type or the other . as it clearly states in the link in you first post .

[...] as it clearly states in the link in you first post .

It does indeed. But the Crucial System Scanner detects my installed SDRAM and still suggests me DDRs to upgrade, and states nothing about not mixing types... So I'm still confused! Who should I listen to??

Kingston+caperjack VS. Crucial (?)

Sorry. I need consensus!

It does indeed. But the Crucial System Scanner detects my installed SDRAM and still suggests me DDRs to upgrade, and states nothing about not mixing types... So I'm still confused! Who should I listen to??

Kingston+caperjack VS. Crucial (?)

Sorry. I need consensus!

ok,lets put it this was sdram is old school ,and ddr pc2700 is old school now too,,but is newer than sdram ,so remove you sdram and install some ddr ram for better and faster ram!don't know how else to put it to you!!

Welcome to Crucial Technology's Expert Online. An Expert Online agent will join you in a moment... Please do not begin typing until you have been connected to an agent.
Hello, my name is Dan . How may I help you?
Joe Vlenti: i have a Elite Group (ECS) K7S5A (Rev 3.X) Motherboard
Joe Vlenti: your scander saids
Joe Vlenti: Maximum Memory Capacity: 1024MB
Currently Installed Memory: 256MB
Available Memory Slots: 1
Total Memory Slots: 2
Dual Channel Support: No
CPU Manufacturer: AuthenticAMD
CPU Family: AMD Athlon(tm) Processor Model 6, Stepping 2
CPU Speed: 1095 MHz
Joe Vlenti: i have 4 slots
Joe Vlenti: what to do?
Dan : Correct. This is a hybrid board. You only have two slots of each different memory, but you can only do one type at a time.
Joe Vlenti: ok, so what would you do?
Dan:http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=935CD6B1A5CA7304

THANKS A LOT Joe !!

Funnily I never got to upgrade that PC back in the day of my post (over 2 years ago, man!) so your info comes in handy! Now you've reminded me about it, I'll try to do the upgrade asap so we squeeze some extra life from that old box.

Cheers!
A.
Spain

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.