I have a Laserwriter 4/600 PS that I used happily on an ethernet network using an Asante laserbridge when I ran Macs on OS9. Now I have a network of Powerbook G4 (OS10.2.8), EMac (OS10.3.3)and Powerbook G3(OS 9.2) all connected to a D-Link DSL 504 router. I have connected the Laserwriter via the laserbridge to the router. The router recognises the printer is connected but I can not select the printer on any of the machines.

How do I set up this printer on the network?

Nick b :?:

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Hello,

You are going to need to use the Printer Utility to attach to the printer in OS X, and set it up from there. Does your Asante Laserbridge support IP? If not, you are also going to need to turn on AppleTalk in the Network control panel, and grab the name from there.

Let us know how it works,

Christian

Hello,

You are going to need to use the Printer Utility to attach to the printer in OS X, and set it up from there. Does your Asante Laserbridge support IP? If not, you are also going to need to turn on AppleTalk in the Network control panel, and grab the name from there.

Let us know how it works,

Christian

Hi Christian

Did all that in the Printer Utility, rebooted the Asante Laserbridge once I knew that Appletalk was active and it worked. I am even able to print from the G3 running OS9.2.

I also have an Epson 1200 running on the G4 on USB which is now available to the EMac on OSX over ethernet.

A great result

Nick B

Cool beans!

Glad that it is working for you. Take care, and enjoy.

Christian

Cool beans!

Glad that it is working for you. Take care, and enjoy.

Christian

I have an Apple Laserwriter 4/600 PS that I used to run from my Powerbook 5300c over the apple talk connection, I tried upgrading the 5300 software to OS8 and run it on the network with a network card into a hub, but couldn't get it working. is there any way I can get a setup to print to the 4/600 PS direct from my ibook g4?

all the best Roger

Hello
I'm using a Powerbook G4 with OSX Leopard 10.5.6.

I have been given an Apple LaserWriter 4/600PS and AsanteTalk box to connect into the ethernet port on the laptop.

I have been into system preferences and ensured Appletalk is active prior to trying to select the printer in System Preferences >Print & Fax>Appletalk.

I'm having no joy and am extremely frustrated. Can anybody help please ?

You need to have the print window open when you plug in the printer (power cord to outlet) and then plug in the Asante Talk (power cord to outlet) once the printer has cycled through the paper it outputs. If you don't have the printer setup window open when this occurs, it will not show up. HTH I went around quite awhile before I discovered this info online.

You need to have the print window open when you plug in the printer (power cord to outlet) and then plug in the Asante Talk (power cord to outlet) once the printer has cycled through the paper it outputs. If you don't have the printer setup window open when this occurs, it will not show up. HTH I went around quite awhile before I discovered this info online.

OS X5.8
g4 12"

I did as you suggested, and I was able to see the printer and make a print que, but when printing the printer is set on pause, and resuming only returns it to pause.

And good ideas?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.