The fun begins.....

I'm upgrading my Powermac G3 B&W with a serial ATA Hard drive and controller card. I want to copy the contents of the old drive to the new drive. I know that in the PC World Maxtor has a utility on a boot disk that allows you to format, partition, and copy the contents of the old drive to the new drive with no pain. Do any of you know of a Mac OS X based you utility that does the same? A Mac Tech buddy of mine tells me that I can copy everything over directly, but would have to do an Archive and Install to get everything up and going. System runs fine, all apps are working, and my system preferences are where I want them. I don't want to have to reinstall everything. Help me find another way??

Thanks,

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Figured it out,

Carbon Copy Cloner from Macupdate.com. 5 bucks. All I gotta do is format the drive to HFS Extended, use Carbon Copy Cloner to transfer the files, make the drive bootable, switch boot drive to the new drive, reboot, and everything works.

lol glad you figured it out, let us know how it goes?

Go search for some sharewares in Google. I think there are tons of them.

Figured it out,

Carbon Copy Cloner from Macupdate.com. 5 bucks. All I gotta do is format the drive to HFS Extended, use Carbon Copy Cloner to transfer the files, make the drive bootable, switch boot drive to the new drive, reboot, and everything works.

I second this. Carbon Copy Cloner has been out for years, is simple to use, and works flawlessly. It has been a savior for me multiple times. Unless it has changed it is donationware and well worth it.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.