I have a g4 400 running os9.04 that i would like to update to tiger 10.4 without loosing 9. I have many older apps that i would prefer not to update. Should i , can i install a second internal hard drive with os 10 and go back and forth between drivesw and operating systems? Would this work well or would it be too slow? Has anyone else tried this?

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

You will have to start by updating 9.0.4 to 9.2.2 from apple.com

Hi, gortonsfi
Why do i need to update to 9.2.2?

Maybe Steve should do a poll for individual working people rather than Corporation and the upper management that serves them.

Hi, gortonsfi
Why do i need to update to 9.2.2?

System OSX will not upgrade 9.0.4. It needs system 9.2.2 to get started. Why?.... because Steve Jobs said so.

Not necessary to install an additional hard drive to achieve the result you are seeking.

If you install Tiger OS 10.4.3 on a computer that already has System 9.2.2 installed that will "automatically" become the "classic mode" in your Tiger software.

When you click on one of your old system 9 software programs, Tiger loads classic mode and you are now operating in system 9! All your software works same as always. Pretty cool, huh!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.