Member Avatar
fussballer
Newbie Poster
19 posts since May 2010
Reputation Points: 0 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 0 [?]
Skill Endorsements: 0 [?]

Hi,

I have a mac (Lion OS X) at work and was wondering if there is software available to connect to it remotely from my windows 7 Laptop at home?
I would like to use XCode from my home PC. Is this possible? What software do you recommend?

Thanks,

Sam

Member Avatar
dimsums
Junior Poster in Training
71 posts since Nov 2011
Reputation Points: 14 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 13 [?]

Try Logmein for OSX, the client can be either PC or Mac based.

Member Avatar
ilmkidunya
Light Poster
43 posts since Dec 2011
Reputation Points: -3 [?]

logmein is better

Member Avatar
mikulucky
85 posts since Jan 2012
Reputation Points: 25 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 16 [?]

All macs have VNC, in the mac work this is called screen sharing. On the windows machine install a VNC client, enter the connection information username and password and so on. Then you will be able to use your mac full screen on your windows computer.

Here is a link to a Windows VNC Client

Member Avatar
kanyonb38
Newbie Poster
9 posts since Nov 2011
Reputation Points: 0 [?]

You could download TeamViwer. It's free and amazing. I use it!

Member Avatar
Pjieter
Junior Poster
114 posts since Jan 2012
Reputation Points: -8 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 8 [?]

You could download TeamViwer. It's free and amazing. I use it!

But with Teamviewer you always have to create a new session, with an other ID and password every time. I think Logemin will be a better idea in this particular case

Member Avatar
dioioib
59 posts since Feb 2011
Reputation Points: 4 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 2 [?]

I agree using a VNC client is the way to go but you might want to setup an encrypted reverse SSH tunnel to run it through.

More information can be found here: http://guides.macrumors.com/Remotely_Controlling_another_Mac

You might also find it easier to use a dynamic DNS (DDNS) service like http://dyn.com/dns/ which allows for 2 free DDNS names. This will make it easy to access your system from home using a simple domain name rather than needing to know the IP address which is difficult when you don't have a static IP issued from your ISP.

Member Avatar
jbennet
17,127 posts since Apr 2005
Reputation Points: 1,618 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 736 [?]
Skill Endorsements: 38 [?]
Team Colleague
Featured

But with Teamviewer you always have to create a new session, with an other ID and password every time.

No you dont, I connect from Linux to windows, and I just double click it in the list of machines, and enter my normal OS logon details.

Member Avatar
jbennet
Team Colleague
Featured

You might also find it easier to use a dynamic DNS (DDNS) service like http://dyn.com/dns/ which allows for 2 free DDNS names. This will make it easy to access your system from home using a simple domain name rather than needing to know the IP address which is difficult when you don't have a static IP issued from your ISP.

You wont need that if you use TeamViewer. Also, in my experience, TV and RDP work much better than the extremely laggy VNC.

Member Avatar
dioioib
59 posts since Feb 2011

You are right you will get a lagging session with VNC but you can use compression.

If you are going to pay for software and you are using windows you could also look at Citrix.
http://store.citrix.com/store/citrixus/en_US/pd/productID.194911600
I have set a number of these up and there is no lag with these clients but like jbennet suggested with TeamViewer you are looking at $900+ for 5 licensees.

To be honest a lot of this is totally moot if I reread the initial post why not just use GNUstep at home on your Windows machine and just bring your code to work to compile it on your Mac later.

http://www.gnustep.org/

I am going to try RDP out tonight thanks for the tip jbennet.

Member Avatar
jbennet
Team Colleague
Featured

Citrix costs a small fortune though, but then again, i suppose so do Windows Terminal Services CAL's... P.S did you know they own logmein?

Member Avatar
dioioib
59 posts since Feb 2011

Yeah Citrix is a small fortune. I had no idea. I remember LogMeIn was big when the iPhone came out. I hate paying for any software so I usually look for a OSS or FOSS alternative if I don't have time to write something myself.

You
This article has been dead for over three months: Start a new discussion instead
View similar articles that have also been tagged: