Hi, i'm new to this community. I was wondering if any of you would be so kind as to recommend a good 3rd party ftp program for mac osx server.

The one integrated with osx server can sometimes act goofy, and setting permissions can be a pain.

Thanks alot.

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Hello,

Mac OS X is a BSD unix, and you may find packages out there like vsftpd to take care of your issue. Unfortunately, I do not have direct experience with OS X server to offer something more concerete.

Christian

I'd try transmit from Panic3, its stable and easy to use and works with both mac os x and server versions

Hi - not sure if it'll run on OSX server, but Cyberduck is fantastic, and gets updated all the time. It's donationware, and well worth it.

I also tried a package called Fugu, which didn't work well at all. I've used Cyberduck quite a lot, and like it. Much better than "Fetch" from which I guess all these mac FTPs sprang.

Hi - not sure if it'll run on OSX server, but Cyberduck is fantastic

However, Cyberduck is only a FTP client--not "server", as the original poster was asking.

I too, would recommend the built-in FTP daemon (vsftpd). Because it's so widely used, almost all the bugs have been weeded out, so it's probably going to be more stable than server integrated into OS X. I don't have Mac OS X server, but does vsftpd even come with it? In that case, you would need Fink.

However, Cyberduck is only a FTP client--not "server", as the original poster was asking.

I too, would recommend the built-in FTP daemon (vsftpd). Because it's so widely used, almost all the bugs have been weeded out, so it's probably going to be more stable than server integrated into OS X. I don't have Mac OS X server, but does vsftpd even come with it? In that case, you would need Fink.

Ooops - my bad - but poster didn't SAY it was to be a server, but to run on OSX server - I suppose it follows it might be server not client...but there you go. Hopefully this has all been some help.

Hi, i'm new to this community. I was wondering if any of you would be so kind as to recommend a good 3rd party ftp program for mac osx server.

The one integrated with osx server can sometimes act goofy, and setting permissions can be a pain.

Thanks alot.

I use Rumpus for my ftp...it emails notices and also has a web file manager for those people not experienced with ftp...:)

I'm using on a proyect "PureFTPd Manager"

It's very good, free an easy for newbies !!!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.