I upgraded to OS X over a year ago and have been using my scanner with no problems. Recently, every time I try to use my scanner, it opens Classic 9 and then gives me an error message that the scanner cannot be found. I've tried using a different USB cable, tried plugging it into a different USB port and have pulled the power on it. When it first started acting "heinky", pulling the power supply and rebooting worked, but now that's not even working. I also recently tried to open a pdf file and it also opened Classic 9 and then wouldn't read the pdf file. No new updates have been installed or anything that may affect the OS. Any ideas?

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

I would check to see if there are any updates on the scanner's company website. sometimes the software you have can go out of date and needs an update to fix this error

Yeah, we thought that too, so we ordered a scanning software/driver CD from HP for OS X and installed it, with the same result when we tried to scan. I was hoping there was some setting or system preference somewhere that would let me designate which OS to open an application with, but so far, I haven't found anything.

Yeah, we thought that too, so we ordered a scanning software/driver CD from HP for OS X and installed it, with the same result when we tried to scan. I was hoping there was some setting or system preference somewhere that would let me designate which OS to open an application with, but so far, I haven't found anything.

Hello,

Do you have a seperate application that you use for scanning that causes OS 9 (Classic) to open? If so, you should select it in the Finder, and choose File->Get Info. There should be a checkbox labeled "Open in Classic". Make sure that this checkbox is unchecked, and you shouldn't have any problems.

That was it! Thank you so much! I don't know how that box got checked, because it's been working just fine for over a year in OS X, but I'm back in business. Yay!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.