I'm thinking about buying my first mac soon (a desktop). I'm basically very intrigued by the bsd-based OS X.

In any case ... I'm looking to make a purchase as early as sometime this summer, but I'm willing to wait.

Are the G5's coming out soon, or at all? Or ya think I should stick with the G4 (they've been out awhile, I know that much).

I've never followed mac news so I'm not very well-informed as far as this stuff goes.

Comments?

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

No help from me on the macs.... In the dark just like you. Although got a friend... lets c if i can get him on the board...

Sorry, I'm getting a 404 error with your first link

I'm thinking about buying my first mac soon

I'm sorry I hope you can recover from your horrible choice in desktops. =)

Mac is a good machine. But really your descision needs to be based on what you want to do with it.
I use PC's @ work for programming - but often switch over to my iMac @ home.
Yes, Mac's do not crash as often - but in fairness that is due to architecture. If Microsoft built their own computers built around their own OS, then they would be just as reliable. For coding, I prefer PC's. For general use, I prefer my Mac. I like playing with the UNIX commands, though I really don't know anything about UNIX. OSX is a good stepping stone for all future OS'. Most Mac users become very "affectionate" about their machine and have a tendency to refer to them as though they had some individual thought process (I am sure that will generate some posting replies!)
As far as the G5 - there is no official release confirmation from Apple about a G5 processor. The G4 has just hit it's third stage of development, it may be here for a while - most of the G5 talk has been rumor generated by Mac fans. Mac's are pricey....byut they do hold their value - check ebay - the older owns still sell for a chunk.

Mac is a good machine. But really your descision needs to be based on what you want to do with it.
I use PC's @ work for programming - but often switch over to my iMac @ home.
Yes, Mac's do not crash as often - but in fairness that is due to architecture. If Microsoft built their own computers built around their own OS, then they would be just as reliable. For coding, I prefer PC's. For general use, I prefer my Mac. I like playing with the UNIX commands, though I really don't know anything about UNIX. OSX is a good stepping stone for all future OS'. Most Mac users become very "affectionate" about their machine and have a tendency to refer to them as though they had some individual thought process (I am sure that will generate some posting replies!)
As far as the G5 - there is no official release confirmation from Apple about a G5 processor. The G4 has just hit it's third stage of development, it may be here for a while - most of the G5 talk has been rumor generated by Mac fans. Mac's are pricey....byut they do hold their value - check ebay - the older owns still sell for a chunk.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.