about my password... well, i used my very own name. :) how unusual. and i found a mac person who knew how to get it fixed. and i understand your concern about removing people's passwords.

NOW... i'm needing to upgrade or SOMETHING, with acrobat and distiller. i looked in to distiller and i saw $5,000?!!!!!! for the software?!!!!

i can live without THAT.. but does anybody know what acrobat works best with quark 6.1

i am having problems getting it to view with clients. they see a blank page. is there a compatibility issue here?

thanks,
c

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Hello Cee,

Please, for the sake of completeness, go to the other thread and explain what was done to correct your password problem.

As for the Acrobat Question....

Acrobat costs anywhere from $150 - $300 per license depending on what you needs are. Distiller is part of Acrobat Professional.

You may notice that OS X offers you, inside of the print dialogue box, the option of saving to a file as .pdf (almost all OS X programs offers this. While I have not seen Quark for OS X in my personal possession, I have to assume it is there). This method of creating a .pdf file is not the same as using Acrobat.

Distiller
Distiller is a program that comes along with Acrobat that converts postscript files to .pdf files. You create those postscript files by saving them with the printer driver, and then running Distiller as a separate process. For a Quark documents that I did in the past under OS 8 and 9, I would run distiller and get really nice smooth and efficient Acrobat files.

So, to answer your question, for quality control purposes, I would track down Distiller, and fine-tune the halftoning and other options to make crisp and clean output documents.

For those of you reading along, I think there is some better Desktop Publishing software (DTP) out there called Ragtime. Go look it up on the internet... and it is free for personal use, and it is a lot more stable. The quark support forums are ON FIRE with complaints of instability and quirkyness.

Christian

Hello Cee,

Please, for the sake of completeness, go to the other thread and explain what was done to correct your password problem.

As for the Acrobat Question....

Acrobat costs anywhere from $150 - $300 per license depending on what you needs are. Distiller is part of Acrobat Professional.

You may notice that OS X offers you, inside of the print dialogue box, the option of saving to a file as .pdf (almost all OS X programs offers this. While I have not seen Quark for OS X in my personal possession, I have to assume it is there). This method of creating a .pdf file is not the same as using Acrobat.

Distiller
Distiller is a program that comes along with Acrobat that converts postscript files to .pdf files. You create those postscript files by saving them with the printer driver, and then running Distiller as a separate process. For a Quark documents that I did in the past under OS 8 and 9, I would run distiller and get really nice smooth and efficient Acrobat files.

So, to answer your question, for quality control purposes, I would track down Distiller, and fine-tune the halftoning and other options to make crisp and clean output documents.

For those of you reading along, I think there is some better Desktop Publishing software (DTP) out there called Ragtime. Go look it up on the internet... and it is free for personal use, and it is a lot more stable. The quark support forums are ON FIRE with complaints of instability and quirkyness.

Christian

hello, christian. if i could figure out how your "string thing" works i could probably be more complete. sorry. i'm just proud to be able to post at all right now.

and the quark fire is definitely a problem. my files go to printing companies and pc users and some of the pdf through quark 6.1 with the system 10.3 on the mac are giving them a fit when they get my files. they are also experiencing difficulties at printing co. from other people in the process of upgrading. fonts are causing problems, too.

as always.

i fooled around with it for 8 hours. got it to work (pdf to client was pc. to printing company was mac. both had different problems. i ended up jpg-ing the pdf in fotoshop just to get it to the client.) then the printing company had problems with not all fonts embedding, and of all fonts... zapf dingbats which has been around since the 80s. (the unnecessary and ugly problems a STAR can cause indeed)

thanks for the Ragtime advice. i will go try to find it and play with it. i just know that i DO NOT want to have another week like last week! i'm used to getting everything done and GONE quickly. this has not been pleasant.

oh. the complete on the system thing.... i was trying to findout how to fix my password on 10.3 as i had put one in that i couldn't remember. couldn't update software or install downloaded printer drivers. i found an apple tech website and one of their people fixed it for me. i still have a password, but i know what it is now. :) and i don't know what he did to fix it and don't want to know. don't care. it's fixed. :)

take care, christian.
ccc

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.