Alright

I know it only just been released but has anyone got their hands on the new version of Tiger, what do you think? is it worth the upgrade from Panther i am a little unsure it is worth the money.

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

Ok, This is big, I'm so upset with Dani I think my eyes are going to bleed. It's been almost 24 hours since Tiger was released and the Mac OS X forum still doesn't mention Tiger in the description! :twisted: heheheheh Just teasing.

But let's hear some comments on it. Surely people have it up and installed now!

My hopes and dreams were dashed to pieces last night when I drove an hour to the Apple Store and found out they weren't going to honor the Educational Discount at the stores, just online. So, being the thrifty fellow I am I decided to wait and save the 60 bucks. That's right I'm saving the money and You'uns can just put up with it.

:!:

Unfortunately, my video card isn't supporte with CoreImage (it's an nVidia GeForce 4 Ti), so I don't get to see that aspect of Tiger's quality. So far, I'm not impressed that much. There are some fundamental changes that take some getting used to. Personally, I feel like the polished look of Panther might have been superior to those of Tiger. But I've really only had it installed and running the way I want for 20 hours, so I'll report back on it's "worthiness".

I like Spotlight. That's really the only noticable difference for me. Dashboard seems to be more of being there as a bell and whistle eye candy instead of anything useful. Maybe that would change with more widgets. I love my good ole Expose though.

Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger": Over a year of development, and not one really useful feature :-).

Woah, this could be the smallest step forward since the move to the one button mouse!

Just to clarify, the only thing Spotlight is useful for (to me) is quickly launching apps. Quicksilver is/was much better at doing this. As for the new widget crap, I liked Konfabulator much more.

meh, on the other hand there's your beloved Longhorn, how are you liking that? heheheh Maybe next year? ;-) tee-hee-hee

Spotlight is certainly fast. I've used it a couple times so far. I just don't care for it being in my toolbar.

And I compltetly agree, Dashboard is useless eyecandy. It's too slow for me to care all that much. Maybe when there are some more widgets out.

I do like the additions of the new utils to the Installer DVD (particularly the addition of Terminal. Awesome for forensics/troublshooting serious problems).

From what i am reading it isnt worth the money for my needs anyway. i am happy with panther so i'm, gonna leave it

meh, on the other hand there's your beloved Longhorn, how are you liking that? heheheh Maybe next year? ;-) tee-hee-hee

Sigh, your just talking to the wrong person. Perhaps you'd like to start a new thread bashing longhorn, and I'll post all of my comebacks there. :rolleyes:

Tiger is a nice OS, but is it so much better than Panther? Dunno...

Sigh, your just talking to the wrong person. Perhaps you'd like to start a new thread bashing longhorn, and I'll post all of my comebacks there. :rolleyes:

Tiger is a nice OS, but is it so much better than Panther? Dunno...

Nothing against Longhorn, Just teasing you ;)

But about Tiger, surely there must be something that makes it worth the money. I heard the Printer utility was updated? :cheesy:

Yeah, the printer utility has a nicer interface now, IMO. But, of course, that's just the UI - CUPS is still CUPS.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.