Diode 0 Junior Poster in Training

Hello everyone,

I am in the market for a new system and wanted to customize my own. I need a decently fast motherboard/cpu setup, and would prefer a Core 2 Duo system. Like the title stated, it needs to be compatible with Linux (Ubuntu), and this is the main reason why I am coming here, to find out what the elite segment of the Linux community would recommend for a hardware system from personal experience.

I am able to spend up to around $220, give or take a little, depending on what kind of deal it is.

And also I almost forgot to mention this, but space is at a premium in my cramped room, and if possible, I would like to do away with my Sanyo 19" CRT tv by giving it to my little sister...that way I can use the top of my dresser where it's sitting right now for my electronics/project workbench. I don't have any place right now to put my oscilloscope and power supply, and I could put them there.

So I would like to use my 22" Dell LCD monitor for my tv. Now I don't know which tv/video capture cards are the best for Linux (Ubuntu), so I would also like to request advice on which one of those to get. I would like to watch tv and possibly have this set up so that I can plug in my VCR and video game system switchbox so that I can play my games and watch tv, etc on my computer since this LCD monitor is the best quality screen in the house. My VCR only has composite yellow/white/red outputs, so the card would have to work with these.

The back of this monitor has the standard power cord port, and VGA and DVI. No S-video or HDMI or component.

I can get a cheap graphics card, but I didn't know if I needed a graphics card in addition to the tv/video capture card, or if they also double as a video card. If I understand correctly, and I have been wrong in the past more than once, the external devices (VCR, Playstation 2, etc.) plug into the video capture card, and I wouldn't need to worry about which cable runs to my monitor, right? Because the computer already sends the video signals out through the graphics card, right?

Like I said, I have an approximate cap of $220 for the motherboard combo
Then I would have to get the tv/video capture card and other necessities like power supply, RAM, etc.

I don't need the absolute best card, just whichever one you guys recommend or is a good deal that is compatible with Ubuntu.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it a lot.

Diode

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.