frankles 0 Newbie Poster

Hi all

I'd appreciate some help:

Have just self-upgraded my PC:

AMD Athlon XP 3200+ - new
Abit KV7 - new but deffo OK
1 GB PC3200 DDR RAM - used before OK
Gigabyte fx5900xt 128 MB (in 8x AGP slot) - new, worked OK in prev. PC.
120 GB Seagate HDD - more than 1 year old, formatted and reinstalled WinXP Pro twice
TFT Monitor - came with previous PC, seems fine.
And DVD-RW, DVD drive tec.
400W PSU

I'm afraid this may sound complicated:

Put the fx card in my old PC while waiting for new CPU, ran Emperor fine and Doom3 fine on lowish settings (CPU bit fried, 0.5 GB RAM).

Built up new PC, Windows had problems installing, had to repair install, but seems OK (yeah I know) installed all chipset drivers, and video drivers etc.

Installed Emperor, CoD and Doom3, to see what my new baby could do...As soon as the PC has to handle the meat of these games they ALL crash back to windows. Sometimes the screen has bleached when I'm back at the desktop. I haven't yet tried with a lower end game like RA2.

I have checked my video settings, updated drivers, then uninstalled them and redid fresh. Device manager says all of the hardware is working fine.

I think: Either graphics card has developed a fault, or I'm missing some single piece of vital information to get it working, or my windows installation is crap, past that I have no ideas.

Your advice is much appreciated!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.