Woo-hoo! I think I solved it! It was just like Bryl-cream, "A little dab'll do ya!" It works! "I'm So Excited And I Just Can't Hide It! (to quote the Pointer Sisters) Now, can the professional DJ, do the Professional task of completely re-assembling the Presario 700 without depositing it in the dumpster? Stay Tuned True believers as the next episode is in "Multi-Tasking!" Can the DJ tie the laptop into a network with a Compaq 7100 US desktop and two hulking scratch built behemoths that think they are Compaqs? Da Duron ron da Duron ron! (not all DJ's are as crazy as me, but when I get fired up about getting something done on a computer in a repair without a MCSE or A+ cert, I like to party!" )

Hello everyone! :D I'm new to this site, I found it by doing a websearch for the problems I'm having with my Presario 700. Same as most on this thread; It kept overheating and shutting itself down. I could start it right back up though. The air coming from the processor fan was very hot, so I would let it cool down before I restarted it. Well, this only lasted a short while. Eventually, it went down and now I can't get it to boot back up. I'll turn it on and get the light and I can hear something running (Hard Drive), but no air is coming form the processor fan. :rolleyes: No image on the screen at all, no hard drive flashes from the HD light, nothing!

Now, here's my question: Did the people that got theirs to work using the heat sink goop have the same problems that I'm having? Has anyone with these symtoms tried the goop and have it fail?

I'm heading to Lackland AFB in a month for Recruiter Training and I would like to bring my laptop with me instead of my desktop computer.

Thanks for this great site, I hope to hear some responses soon. Thanks!

Derek

Mine hasn't failed yet. I'm glad I put a little dab right on the center of the chip and put it back together. It does sound like yours is overheating and that could very well be the reason why it keeps shutting down , to protect itself. If anything, it can't hurt. I would check with the people here, they speak and understand English better than Compaq's tech support over in New Delhi. I unfortunately had bad experiences with them.

Well, I just got back from Radio Shack with the Heat Sink Compound. I put a dab on the center of the processor and put the heat shield thing back on. I plugged it in and hit the power button.....nothing! Still the same as it was. I can hear the hard drive start spinning, but the fan for the processor doesn't spin.
One thing I noticed is that when the computer was working fine, if I was to plug it into the wall, the light that indicates the battery is being charged would come on. (it's the light located on the bottom of the monitor and has a picture of a battery with an arrow pointing to it) Now when I plug it in, that light does not come on. Is this something you guys experienced as well? I wonder what that could mean. Do you think that my battery is fried and maybe that's why I can't boot up?

This is really aggravating!! :evil: !! Please help!!!!

Derek

The batteries on these things don't have a good shelf life and don't last a while. Each computer has it's own situation. The fan doesn't spin, maybe the fan is clogged up with dust or something? Try taking the battery out and booting it straight off the wall. The battery has a reset button on it, but generally they do not perform well for what they are worth. It's difficult to tell without seeing it sometimes.

I have the same problem as most people...overheating! When I ran a dvd or music video the sound would trail the video by a second or so..I ran the bios update for the keyboard controller and it seem to take care of the problem. I can run dvd and music video without any problem. Is it common for the presario 700 to overheat the memory,modem and cpu areas?The cooling fan is working ok with plenty of moving air. It seems like a lot of people are using thermal compound to cool down the cpu.
I removed the led cover and was in the process of removing the keyboard but the only problem is removing the ZIF connector. Do you haul it straight out or is the a special way to remove it? Dont want to ruin it while it is sort of working! any suggestions would help. Running winxp with service pack 2 installed

I have the same problem as most people...overheating! When I ran a dvd or music video the sound would trail the video by a second or so..I ran the bios update for the keyboard controller and it seem to take care of the problem. I can run dvd and music video without any problem. Is it common for the presario 700 to overheat the memory,modem and cpu areas?The cooling fan is working ok with plenty of moving air. It seems like a lot of people are using thermal compound to cool down the cpu.
I removed the led cover and was in the process of removing the keyboard but the only problem is removing the ZIF connector. Do you haul it straight out or is the a special way to remove it? Dont want to ruin it while it is sort of working! any suggestions would help. Running winxp with service pack 2 installed

The ziff connector is a flat tape like thing with some circuitry threads on it. It is almost like a type of paper. the ziff connector is held in plance by a clamp that doesn't disconnect. when the clamp is released, the tape comes out. To put it back in there, make sure it is flat, push it back in there and secure the clamp. Be gentle and don't rush anything or you will break it. This I have done before. Service pack two would not have an effect on it. I run service pack 2 and have absolutely no issues at all.

The member who originally started this thread has not replied in a very long time, so I'm calling this one closed.

I posted an explanation earlier in this thread explaining why people who are having similar (or seemingly similar) problems need to start their own threads for those problems as opposed to posting them here; please read that post if you need clarification as to our policy in that regard.

If the member who started this thread would like it reopened, please PM a moderator.

-Thanks

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.