cparky 0 Light Poster

I have a Samsung P10C laptop. Its main specs are:

CPU Type Mobile Intel Pentium 4M, 1900 MHz (19 x 100)
System Memory 512 MB (DDR SDRAM)

I run XP Prof SP2 and IE6.0. I keep the Microsoft software updated. I have AVG AntiVirus, ZoneAlarm and Ad-Ware.

Several months ago I started hear an intermittent noise (rather like the low-level sound of a quack from a duck) at start-up every few seconds which eventually stops. I have come to ignore this ... mainly as I haven't a clue what it is or where it is coming from. It could be the hard disk, I suppose, although there is no impact on the Start Up sequence as seen on screen.

Once the machine is running and I power down (or it freezes and I reboot - see below) then the sound typically does not reappear.

The laptop operates in a periodically dusty environement, although I do my best to limit any exposure by removing it wherever possible.

I also have a problem of the machine freezing periodically ... which is sometimes released by pressing <CntrlAltDelete> after a delay of a few seconds. Sometimes it does not release and I have to turn the power Off and then On to restart the machine.

If the hard disk buttom can be seen as lit up when it freezes then I know it is completely frozen. Sometimes the light is not on when it freezes completely. Not sure whether these last points are relevant.

Has anyone any ideas as to why either or both of these problems occur and how best to solve them?

Thanks in advance for any advise or suggestions.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.