Knyte 0 Newbie Poster

They just upgraded some server racks at work and let us go through the "junk bin" for anything we wanted. I am getting ready to upgrade my ancient system at home to a AMD 64 3700+ and a ASUS A8N32-SLI mobo. So I looked through the power supplies, knowing that my current 350w at home probably won't cut it for the new MOBO and CPU.

I got a Zippy HP2-6460P 460w PSU. The main mobo connector on it is labeled EPS and has 24 pins. 2X12 config. Now my current system (AMD Athlon XP+ 2400) has a 20 pin PSU. Serching around online, I see that the Athlon 64 939 socket Mobos have a 24 pin connection. Is this the same? I cannot find a definate answer. Until I do, I do not wish to plug the Zippy into the new mobo. But, on the same token, I do not want to spend an extra $100 on a new PSU if this one will work.

So, my question is this =
Will the 24-pin EPS power connector on the Zippy work on a Socket 939 24pin ATX mobo? If not, is there an adapter, and while we are on the subject, what is the difference between ATX and EPS power supplies?

Thanks...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.