jason.allen.750331 3 Newbie Poster

I saw lots of old threads on this problem but could not find a solution so I thought I would share my experience and solution.

Hi,
I just had a problem that my cpu and case fans would not switch off after shutdown.

It turned out to be a dvi-d connector for my graphics card from a vga monitor. It had an option for a usb power boost I.e I could plug the micro usb end into the adaptor and the other into a normal usb to provide power to initiate the diplay.

It seems I did not need to use this extra power usb cord with the 'active' dvi-d adaptor and it was causing a small wattage power loop to go back into the motherboard which was just enough to activate the cpu and case fans.

I assume this could happen with other devices which plug into the usb and use an external power scource like old external hard drives. I already replaced my psu twice because of this problem needlessly. In my case the monitor was giving adequate power to the vga to dvi-d adaptor and the aditional usb power cable was overkill!

Unplug everything except mouse, keyboard and har drive when trying to diagnose this problem.

hithirdwavedust commented: Right on! It's always nice when people share their tech triumphs! +0
thepastimer commented: I didn't even know that was possible. Thanks for the post. +3