so is this success..??
aNd if so how now..??
what can i do to copy them (if that's what i am supposed 2do)
can i open the files listed or..??

Yeah - Great!

You should be able to do this the easy way. Just navigate to the Files/Folders that you want to save and Copy&Paste them to your external drives.

-- Do you see a "Documents and Settings" Folder?
If so, just copy the whole thing to your External Hard Drive (500GB Hard Disk: Expansion Drive).

Let me know if you can do that or if you are having problems.

PP:)

zehdekiel commented: PhiLLiPhaN.. IS most deffinately THE computer gOd.. *kaden bows in your presence* **giggLes** +1

Yeah - Great!

You should be able to do this the easy way. Just navigate to the Files/Folders that you want to save and Copy&Paste them to your external drives.

-- Do you see a "Documents and Settings" Folder?
If so, just copy the whole thing to your External Hard Drive (500GB Hard Disk: Expansion Drive).

Let me know if you can do that or if you are having problems.

sorry i didn't see you sitting on the 4th page..!!
*smackshead*

okay i do indeed see the docu/settings folder.. but when i right click to copy it doesn't give me the option to put it anyplace.. just to copy.. where is the external hd..?? i also see a pics folder for my fodos.. but i don't see the stories anyplace.. (they were on my desktop)

sorry i didn't see you sitting on the 4th page..!!
*smackshead*

okay i do indeed see the docu/settings folder.. but when i right click to copy it doesn't give me the option to put it anyplace.. just to copy.. where is the external hd..?? i also see a pics folder for my fodos.. but i don't see the stories anyplace.. (they were on my desktop)

OK - When you used the Places Tab and selected Computer, it showed you four Icons.

The external hard drive is this one --> 500GB Hard Disk: Expansion Drive
RightClick the folders you want to copy and choose copy and then select the External Hard Drive Icon and paste....
Or, drag and drop might work.
Been a while since I tried any of this....;)

Heck, you could even copy the entire 60GB drive, but it'd be risky if it is infected.
Best the just stick with your documents and pictures.

-- If your stories are on the Desktop, then the Desktop Folder would be in Documents and Settings

OK - When you used the Places Tab and selected Computer, it showed you four Icons.

yes if i click back ther are the 4 files listed..

The external hard drive is this one --> 500GB Hard Disk: Expansion Drive
RightClick the folders you want to copy and choose copy and then select the External Hard Drive Icon and paste....
Or, drag and drop might work.
Been a while since I tried any of this....;)

no problem you are doing GREAT..!!! lol

i am going to attempt to attach a couple pics for you.. (to be on the safe side) the folders are located all together.. and i see the "expansion drive" listed to the left in the tab.. what i did was right click on the documents/settings folder.. then i tried to paste the folder to the xpansion listed to the left.. nothing happened.. then i tried to drag the file folder to the xpansion listed to the right and a box pops up saying that it is attempting to transfer a zillion items.. now it says file operations.. Copying 84,000 files "in documents & settings" to "expansion drive" 50 minutes remaining..

does that sound correct..?? should there be so many files..??

Heck, you could even copy the entire 60GB drive, but it'd be risky if it is infected

yeah.. no crap.. aNd how might i know what is infected vs what isn't..?? i mean my VAIO has the kaspersky anitvirus 2010 installed on it from geek squad.. but will that guard any incoming files from infecting my new puder..??

Best the just stick with your documents and pictures.

okay with me..!!! i figure everything else can be replaced.. i am so tempted to grab all my music from there too only cause i have so many saved.. but i suspect that it was something from LiMewiRe which messed me up in the 1st place..

--

If your stories are on the Desktop, then the Desktop Folder would be in Documents and Settings

A W E S O M E..!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't wait to see if it all works..

Yeah - you should stay away from Limewire - as far as P2P goes it is one of the worst offenders we see....

-- That's a lot of files, but only 17GB....
I've got only 13000 files in my D&S folder.

-- Once you get the stuff you want to save on the External drive, you can scan it with your Kaspersky and see if anything turns up. So, if you're feeling lucky, you could copy other folders as well (pix & music, etc...).

Once all is transferred to your satisfaction, we can try to clean the ill computer. Or, you can just wipe the hard drive and reinstall Windows.
That would be easier and most effective, but you'd lose all your programs and data.

I have some work I need to wrap up, so I'll have to catch up with you later - probably Tuesday night (EST).

Let me know how the transfer shakes out and what you want to do with the ill compy.

Cheers :)
PP

:| it worked..!!!

i can't believe it worked..!!!!

i have successfully transfered my stories..
my photography..
ALL 15,203 FODOS..!!!!!
aNd
even the important stuff i wasn't even thinking about..
like my tax returns aNd my resume..

WOW.. is all i can say..

you are most deffinately THE computer gOd.. *kaden bows in your presence* **giggLes**

it seems that it even transfered all of the playlists i had created aNd looks like even the music files for my ipod..!! (516MB worth)

i am so estatic.. you have no idea
can i send you some money for your time..??
offer you my first born perhaps..??
yOu just let me kNow..!!!!!

Once you get the stuff you want to save on the External drive, you can scan it with your Kaspersky and see if anything turns up. So, if you're feeling lucky, you could copy other folders as well (pix & music, etc...).

it seemed to transfer everything all at once when i did the transfer.. i only found that out after the Documents/Settings was finish'd.. i then tried to do my photos and it said it was already on there.. so yeehaw..!!

before i saved the music files it did import, i did a quick scan with kaspersky.. everything cleared just fine.. i even played a few of them to see if they would play alright.. perfecto..;)

Once all is transferred to your satisfaction, we can try to clean the ill computer. Or, you can just wipe the hard drive and reinstall Windows.
That would be easier and most effective, but you'd lose all your programs and data.

Well.. i think i am most likely going to just wipe him clean.. especially if this is the best course of action.. i was going to retire old DeLL aNd get myself a better computer in March as i kept getting little messages telling me the memory was nearing it's full capacity,.. i went out aNd purchased that External Drive in December specifically for the purpose of transferring my files to a new computer.. i kept writing aNd writing always meaning to copy it to storage just in case.. but it was just my luck that it got corrupted before i had the chance to do that.. lol

*lesson learned*

lets just say that procrastination is my strong suit..
now that i have my new Vaio i am going to give the DeLL to the kids.. i figure it will be perfect for their school work aNd stuff..
i enjoyed a good many years with him while i had him, even with all his 'issues' over the years.. of course the new sony makes him look like something of a prehistoric beast.. lalz

I have some work I need to wrap up, so I'll have to catch up with you later - probably Tuesday night (EST).

not a problem at all.. you take your time.. hell take a break even you've earned euit..!! ;)

i am in seattLe.. so i'll be around O_o

until next time..

peace & chicken grease my friend

:| it worked..!!! . . .
WOW.. is all i can say..
you are most deffinately THE computer gOd.. *kaden bows in your presence* **giggLes**

offer you my first born perhaps..??

Happy to help :)
(I'll take the first born . . . . since you offered ;) )

Actually, I am happy I got to poke around with boot disks - It's been a while and I forgot the limitations of recovery console. It's always good to refresh one's knowledge....

Well.. i think i am most likely going to just wipe him clean.. especially if this is the best course of action.. i was going to retire old DeLL aNd get myself a better computer in March .... it was just my luck that it got corrupted before i had the chance to do that.. lol
*lesson learned*

That would be best if you are going to give the Dell away.
When you reinstall, make sure to get all the security programs (AV / Firewall etc... + All Windows Updates) installed before doing anything else.

Stay away from the P2P stuff.

Yeah - I know that prolly won't happen, but bear in mind that, with P2P, you are lowering your defenses and inviting all the bad sh!t onto your compy. You literally have no idea what is coming in and from where.
Not to mention that a poorly configured client could offer possibly unlimited access to your machine.....

Hate to see your Vaio in the same boat as Dell....

BTW: Did you get a Windows OS DVD with your new Vaio? Probably not.....
Did you create "recovery disks" for your new Vaio? - - - > If not, you should drop everything and do that immediately!
There ought to be instructions in your owner's manual for this.

until next time..

Do you really want there to be a "next time?" LOL! :)

Unfortunately, I have to say that I have seen a lot of "repeat business" in malware forums..... So, surf safely!

PP

Happy to help :)
(I'll take the first born . . . . since you offered ;) )

i will ship her right out..!!! ;)

It's always good to refresh one's knowledge....

i am so happy my screw ups could help you out..!!!

That would be best if you are going to give the Dell away.
When you reinstall, make sure to get all the security programs (AV / Firewall etc... + All Windows Updates) installed before doing anything else.

since i have never done that before do i just use the xp start up disk to achieve that clean out or..?? I WILL most deffinately make sure there is proper protection on there.. even if i have to encase it in a super sized condom..!!! (if i even allow any internet access to it at all) :-/

Stay away from the P2P stuff.
Hate to see your Vaio in the same boat as Dell...

you know.. as much as i LoVe my music i think i am going to do just that.. STAY AWAY.. LwiRe was recommended to me by a dj friend of mine.. i have used it for the past 6 years or so.. made a many personal use cD's aNd fiLLed my ipod over aNd over.. it's gunna suck not having it.. do you recommend the paid version of LwiRe or someplace all together, or not at all..??

BTW: Did you get a Windows OS DVD with your new Vaio? Probably not.....

nope..
but if i contact them will they send me one for free like DeLL did..??

Did you create "recovery disks" for your new Vaio?

actually i paid for the service geeksquawk offered which included the installation of Kaspersky with a 1 year subscription.. the initial set up where they take out the unnecessary crap soNy adds & 2get him up running.. aNd the set of recovery disks..!! (there were 3 total) so hopefully i have covered my aSs..

Do you really want there to be a "next time?" LOL! :)

well HELL NO..!! i was meaning until we spoke again.. (about the DeLL).. but very funny you silly willard..!!

Unfortunately, I have to say that I have seen a lot of "repeat business" in malware forums..... So, surf safely!

way to show faith in me..!! lalz..!!
well no offense,.. but i hope i won't have to come see you again anytime soon.. especially for any issue as serious as this was *fingers crossed*

:D

i am so happy my screw ups could help you out..!!!

LOL!
You know what I mean. I enjoy refreshing my knowledge - now I'll be better suited to help the next person with the same problem....

since i have never done that before do i just use the xp start up disk to achieve that clean out or..?? I WILL most deffinately make sure there is proper protection on there.. even if i have to encase it in a super sized condom..!!! (if i even allow any internet access to it at all) :-/

HA!---> Anti-virus ( an oldie but goodie)

-- First, I'd start with Darik's Boot and Nuke to wipe the drive.
Then use your XP Disk to install the OS.
-- Then, you'll need all the service packs and patches, etc...
There ought to be a ton of guides on the net for this.

recommend the paid version of LwiRe or someplace all together, or not at all..??

I recommend the "not at all" option.
P2P circumvents the protections you have on your compy and opens it up to a world of hurt.
Much more dangerous these days than even a year ago.
A lot of security forums will not help people who use P2P because they feel they are wasting their time and that they will quickly be re-infected....

I generally don't harp on it - people are going to do what they are going to do. . . . . 'Course, once they lose all their un-backed-up data, they might reconsider ;)

but if i contact them will they send me one for free like DeLL did..??

I doubt it'd be free....
That is a pet peeve of mine - these freakin' companies are too cheap to give you a dvd. (just a "recovery partition) Gimme a break!
Too many people are unaware that the first thing you need to do with a new compy is to burn Recovery Disks....

actually i paid for the service geeksquawk offered which included the installation of Kaspersky with a 1 year subscription.. the initial set up where they take out the unnecessary crap soNy adds & 2get him up running.. aNd the set of recovery disks..!! (there were 3 total) so hopefully i have covered my aSs..

Sounds like you are good to go!

Don't make the mistake that a lot of people do and let your Kaspersky lapse - When the subscriptions is up, either renew it or replace it with a free option.
I like Kaspersky and would suggest you keep it. 'Course that's a long way down the road.

well HELL NO..!! i was meaning until we spoke again..... but i hope i won't have to come see you again anytime soon.. especially for any issue as serious as this was *fingers crossed*

LOL! I hope not.

I think you'll be OK now that you came so close to the edge....

PP

HA! ( an oldie but goodie)

hahahahaa..!! absolutely hilarious..!!

-- First, I'd start with Darik's Boot and Nuke to wipe the drive

well i burned the disk.. aNd slipped it into old deLL boy but nothing seems to be happening.. it just tried to start up and defaults to the same system32 corrupt error screen..??

I recommend the "not at all" option

. well daMn then that's gOod enuf for me.. O_o

'Course, once they lose all their un-backed-up data, they might reconsider ;)

if you keep using my mistakes as an example for this forum then i am going to have to start giving out autographs.. ;)

Too many people are unaware that the first thing you need to do with a new compy is to burn Recovery Disks...

i am deffinately one of those people.. until this happened i didn't know jack about it..

Don't make the mistake that a lot of people do and let your Kaspersky lapse

dually noted..!!

i hope this thread will help a lot of others out there.. aNd mostly to stand as a warning of the importance of backing up your precious photos and other documents.. i certainly count myself as one of the lucky ones.. thanks to you in fact

well i burned the disk.. aNd slipped it into old deLL boy but nothing seems to be happening.. it just tried to start up and defaults to the same system32 corrupt error screen..??

Did you tap F12 and boot to CD?
No worries - sometimes DBAN has issues with compys that are having issues......
I just like it because it completely wipes a HD.

You can boot to Recovery Console with your XP CD and use the Format command at the command prompt.
I don't think a quick format is a good idea in the event there is HD damage.
Rather, just use Format C: ENTER

Then you'll be able to fresh install.

Have a look around the net - there are tons of "how to" guides that ought to be able to walk you through the process (wipe / install / update drivers and get patches/service packs etc....).

Best Luck :)
PP

hmm... i am not sure, but you can see what kind of malware that
run in your computer and you will be able to taskkill that malware using that software....

PhilliePhan;1134830]Did you tap F12 and boot to CD?
No worries - sometimes DBAN has issues with compys that are having issues......

yeah i tried that too.. it just didn't want to run.. so i booted the XP cd and tried a new set up.. and that seems to have worked.. but it required me to delete the partitions.. now upon start up it gives me the selection of three Windows XP's to choose from.. *shrugz* if i choose the 1st one it is working alright for what i wanted it for i guess..

I was able to set the kids up separate accounts and they have been using it everynight without further incident..

I did try to run the boot & nook cd after the fact but it still didn't want to work..

I still have to burn the drivers for install tho.. (been kinda busy) I found them in an old email from DELL.. thankfully he emailed them to me.. that should restore the sound.. lol

Thanks again for all your help DoubleP.. I sure do appreciate it..!!

*Hugz*

yeah i tried that too.. it just didn't want to run.. so i booted the XP cd and tried a new set up.. and that seems to have worked.. but it required me to delete the partitions.. now upon start up it gives me the selection of three Windows XP's to choose from.. *shrugz* if i choose the 1st one it is working alright for what i wanted it for i guess.. . .
Thanks again for all your help DoubleP.. I sure do appreciate it..!!
*Hugz*

Happy to help!

That is odd, since you deleted the partitions before reinstalling.
I doubt is it a big deal - just a nuisance.

Let's have a quick look:
Click START > RUN > type cmd ENTER
At the prompt, type or copy&paste: TYPE Boot.ini > "%userprofile%\desktop\log.txt"

Log.txt should be on the Desktop - post that for me.

Best :)
PP

Happy to help!

That is odd, since you deleted the partitions before reinstalling.
I doubt is it a big deal - just a nuisance.

Let's have a quick look:
Click START > RUN > type cmd ENTER
At the prompt, type or copy&paste: TYPE Boot.ini > "%userprofile%\desktop\log.txt"

Log.txt should be on the Desktop - post that for me.

Best :)
PP

okay... i am back in to town now sorry for the delay

i have a new issues.. i changed the administrator password to something my kids wouldn't figure out and not i cannot remember what it was.. any suggestions..?? *smacks head*

okay... i am back in to town now sorry for the delay

i have a new issues.. i changed the administrator password to something my kids wouldn't figure out and not i cannot remember what it was.. any suggestions..?? *smacks head*

Well . . . There are a number of ways to address this (using legal and illegal software), but, since you should still have your Ubuntu Live CD, I suggest following the steps HERE.

PP

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.