alrightythen 0 Newbie Poster

General info: Desktop is not connecting to the internet at all. We have Windows Vista on desktop. Desktop is connected to modem and modem is connected to wireless router. I have tried unplugging everything and rebooting and still nothing works. Wireless router will power up but then shuts down completely. Laptop will work when connected directly to modem, but desktop will not work at all, even when directly connected to modem.

Background: Over the weekend, we had a security tool virus infect our desktop. I followed some directions I found on the internet using our laptop and was able to remove it. Our desktop/internet worked fine for about 2 days.

Yesterday morning I used the desktop/internet and it worked fine. When we got home from work, I tried to get online and got a "internet explorer can not connect to the internet" message and our internet will not connect at all. Says that no internet connection that can be located.

I called Road Runner to have them check the modem and they said it was fine, they reset it and said that it's showing a connection problem between the modem and our desktop. I rerouted the modem from the wireless router to our laptop and our laptop works fine. Tried to connect the modem and desktop directly and and it says there's still no connection.

Any ideas what's going on or what to do to try to fix it?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.