Hello,
I am very new to the world of Linux. Could someone tell me if I were to setup one machine with Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP and dual boot it with Windows 2000 Professional, what would the ideal hardware requirements be. Also, what is the ideal size of a database with some 1000 records going to be.

Thanks
Jyothi

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

In terms of hardware requirements, the first thing you need to consider is the particular distribution of Linux that you want to use, as not all distros support/are compatible with all hardware. Most "brands" of Linux have a Hardware Compatibility List available on their support sites; you should check those lists to confirm that your particular hardware components are known to be compatible with the distro you choose to install. Although third-party drivers are often available for unsupported components, as a newbie it's obviously best to go with a distro which fully supports all of your hardware "out of the box".

In terms of hardware requirements, the first thing you need to consider is the particular distribution of Linux that you want to use, as not all distros support/are compatible with all hardware. Most "brands" of Linux have a Hardware Compatibility List available on their support sites; you should check those lists to confirm that your particular hardware components are known to be compatible with the distro you choose to install. Although third-party drivers are often available for unsupported components, as a newbie it's obviously best to go with a distro which fully supports all of your hardware "out of the box".

OK. I will be using Fedora. Could you please let me know what the hardware requirments will be.

The hardware requirements for Fedora, as well as some known hardware-related issues, can be found here. Unfortunately, Fedora being a fairly new venture, they have not compiled a comprehensive, official Hardware Compatibility List yet. My guess is that the hardware listed in Redhat's HCL would roughly parallel Fedora's supported hardware, but that's just a guess.

If you already have a computer that you're thinking of using, post its specs here; we can probably give you some feedback on the components.

I am running Fedora Core 2. I am having problems burning CD (an iso) with k3b. I "think" my hardware is compatible, but have been unable to find it in any compatibility list. On attempting to burn a CD, the drive is recognized by the k3b program, but I end up with an error message. The drive is a Plextor PX-W4824A.

Hi Beamie,

First of all- welcome to TechTalk!

We ask that members not tag their questions on to a thread previously started by another member (regardless of how similar your problem might seem). Not only does it divert the focus of the thread away from the original poster's problem, but it also makes it less likely that you yourself will get the individual attention that you need.

Please start your own thread and post your question there. When you do, please try to give us as much specific info as possible regarding the problem (exact error messages, system specs, etc.).

For a full description of our posting guidelines and general rules of conduct, please see this page:

http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/faq.php?faq=daniweb_faq#faq_rules

Thanks for understanding.

Hi Beamie,

First of all- welcome to TechTalk!

We ask that members not tag their questions on to a thread previously started by another member (regardless of how similar your problem might seem). Not only does it divert the focus of the thread away from the original poster's problem, but it also makes it less likely that you yourself will get the individual attention that you need.

Please start your own thread and post your question there. When you do, please try to give us as much specific info as possible regarding the problem (exact error messages, system specs, etc.).

For a full description of our posting guidelines and general rules of conduct, please see this page:

http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/faq.php?faq=daniweb_faq#faq_rules

Thanks for understanding.

I though I was replying to the correct thread because I was specifically looking for insight as to whether my hardward was confirmed as being supported under Fedora Core. It was suggested by someone that even if the hardward was recognized for reading CD's, it my not write to them. I couldn't find any information regarding support, so I followed your thread which said that you might be able to offer assistance as to whether the hardware was supported.

I understand what you're saying Beamie, but this particular thread was started by another member, and in order to keep things more organized we do want to stick with a "one member's question(s) per thread" construct in our support forums.

As I said in my last post, please start a thread of your own and we'll take it from there.

Again- thanks for understanding.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.