the title says itself...
does anyone know or help on how to configure ubuntu guest os in a windows running machine.
i'm using virtualbox in running the ubuntu os.

any help is much appreciated... =D

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

I am guessing this is related to the networking side of things? I am running Debian and FreeBSD guests on my Mac. Or are you asking about general install tips?

Installation Tips
- Use a fixed size disk. It has worked better for me than dynamic (others swear by dynamic)
- Pick an initial disk size that will fit the installation! I generally pick 2.5-5gb
- Most of my VMs have 256MB RAM. One has 512. (all servers, no gui)
- Enable ACPI, IO APIC and VT-x/AMD-v if your system supports it.

Host Interface
This may be desired after initial installation.

I use a "host interface" to place the virtual machine onto the real network (LAN). If you select the VM's "Network" portion, under "Attached To" you select "Host Interface" and be sure the proper interface is selected below that.

Now, the VM should be able to talk with the real network.

Here is a blog post from someone on the steps: http://georgelantz.com/2007/11/27/virtualbox-host-interface-networking-windows-host-ubuntu-guest/

I also have an "internal network", which all VMs can access via eth1. It operates on the 10.x.x.x private network.

EDIT: I am using VirtualBox 2.0.4

Host Interface
This may be desired after initial installation.

I use a "host interface" to place the virtual machine onto the real network (LAN). If you select the VM's "Network" portion, under "Attached To" you select "Host Interface" and be sure the proper interface is selected below that.

Now, the VM should be able to talk with the real network.

do you mean you have LAN connection in doing this?

i think i miss some details of what i'm planning to do. what i intended to do is make a connection between my windows host os and my ubuntu guest os in which ubuntu will act a linux server for my windows. to clear things up, i intend to make a connection between my windows and ubuntu just within my computer.

P.S. i may have misunderstood you but thanks for the reply btw.

I tried this just now with my Mac as host os and Debian as guest os.

I configured the debian guest os to use a Host Interface. I then set its IP address manually (static).

I unplugged my host os (Mac) from my network. As a result, its interface was taken down (DHCP). I then manually configured this interface (static) and brought it up.

Pinging my guest os from my host os was successful.

There may be other ways to do this, but this is how I tackled it. I use my guest os as a development server and use my host os for actually writing the code (go samba).

EDIT: This has the potential of putting data onto a real network. I am unsure how to keep the traffic local/confined to just the Host and Guest os's. I do plan to look it up in the next day or two and will experiment a little on both Mac & Windows. (I think it has to do with the network devices on the host os)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.